Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barry Mitchell's son a gun?

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    I saw him play a couple of times at Blacktown and he is a ball magnet. An in and under type who is also very quick on his feet, a good user of the ball and, judging by his ability to find a target in traffic with quick hands, a good reader of the play as well.
    I was excited, I can assure you.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    The FS rules aren't as good these days. Unlike Geelong who claimed Ablett, Hawkins and Scarlett with 3rd round picks.

If Son of Barry (SOB) is any good he will no doubt attract interest from other clubs, and particularly in a compromised draft where GC17 or West Sydney have so many picks in the first round. Any player with just a little bit of talent will attract interest from other clubs. Under FS draft rules Sydney will nominate that it intends to take Mitchell in the draft. If any other club reckons he is worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick, we would have to use our matching 1st or 2nd round pick to get him to our list. The only benefit having a FS pick these days is it gives you the right of last refusal on the player. Of course if Sydney nominates that it will pick Mitchell in the draft, and no other club wants him, we can use our last pick in the draft to pick him up instead of our 3rd round pick. Which is exactly how Jaxon Barham got to Collingwood this year.

Confused ??
    What happens if you trade your first and second round picks away for, say, Pavlich. Your 3rd pick is 52? Is that your first round - or do you have to nominate prior to trades?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Regular in the Side
    What about SOC - Son of Capper ? Anyone know if he's coming good ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    What happens if you trade your first and second round picks away for, say, Pavlich. Your 3rd pick is 52? Is that your first round - or do you have to nominate prior to trades?
    Prior.

The father/son 'bidding session' was held at 10am on the Monday morning at the start of trade week last year.

Last years dates thread
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    That is something that can change....and only time, luck and genetics will tell.
    Fast forward to draft years of 2025 on and we could be spoiled with a plethora of FS choices:
    SOM (Son of Magic)
    SOG (Sons of Goodes - just twinkles at the moment)
    SOJ (Son of Jude)
    SOCK (Son of Kirky)
    SOROK (Son of Ryano)
    SOH and SOH (Twin Sons of Hall)

Then we might also have Tom Harley's future children already signed on as Scholarship holders....they don't really want to move to Victoria

We can all dream!
    I think you got your knickers in a knot.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

On the veteran's list
    Just our luck, if he's really good he may do what Mark Murphy did and reject the F/S offer. Murphy's father played more than the required 100 games for Fitzroy and was eligible for F/S at Brisbane. (Note he also played a few games with Sth Melb, as did Luke Ball's father (47, I think) and Matthew Scarlett's father as well). But since young Murphy knew he would be picked up by a Melbourne Club, he nominated for the draft and Carlton got him at number 1. Young Mitchell presumably is playing for WA because his father is coaching at Freo. He would have spent his formative years in Melbourne. Let's not get our hopes up, however if he does just go into the draft trying to get a Vic. club, he runs a very high risk of going to GC17 or WS18 as they have most of the early picks. I think our culture may be a bit more attractive.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What about SOC - Son of Capper ? Anyone know if he's coming good ?
    Ahhhh.... Indiana....

We also missed out on Barry Rounds kid (went to... and failed at... the Bulldogs if I recall correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Just our luck, if he's really good he may do what Mark Murphy did and reject the F/S offer. Murphy's father played more than the required 100 games for Fitzroy and was eligible for F/S at Brisbane. (Note he also played a few games with Sth Melb, as did Luke Ball's father (47, I think) and Matthew Scarlett's father as well). But since young Murphy knew he would be picked up by a Melbourne Club, he nominated for the draft and Carlton got him at number 1. Young Mitchell presumably is playing for WA because his father is coaching at Freo. He would have spent his formative years in Melbourne. Let's not get our hopes up, however if he does just go into the draft trying to get a Vic. club, he runs a very high risk of going to GC17 or WS18 as they have most of the early picks. I think our culture may be a bit more attractive.
    Ah yes, but remember, Mitch loves the Swans, will turn up at any event for any reason. I am going to assume that Mitch, who mentored Kel, will have some encouraging words. I am also going to assume that Stuey is going to like the kid too and wants to add him to the list. Stuey? You listening?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Keep an eye out for Mitch to see if he is at the event on Sat night... would depoend on when the Dockers are playing I would assume.

Mitch may be a possibility for involvement in West Sydney, so his son could move to Sydney too...
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12