Thread: Roos shores up his future

Roos shores up his future

Having read the article on the Swans website, Re: Roos' take on the Collingwood coaching plan.
    It's becoming blatantly obvious that Roos intends to step into a 'Coaching Director' type role, with the Swans, at the end of his next contract. Paving the way for his succession plan of Horse being the next senior coach.
    Given Roos intentions, I'd be surprised if Horse goes to the Kangas (I hope he does), unless he's starting to feel a bit like Peter Costello.
    Personally, I don't like the idea of them both staying on, just with a different title. IMO we need some fresh ideas injected into our gameplan and recruiting strategy.
    Others thoughts?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Senior Player
    Aren't the Roos' returning to the US at the end of the contract?

Too early to say. While I'm concerned that the place might get a bit stale, I think they deserve the opportunity to re-build the list and hopefully take us into another successful era.

If they left the club, they'd be accused of jumping a sinking ship. Can't win either way.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Having read the article on the Swans website, Re: Roos' take on the Collingwood coaching plan.
    It's becoming blatantly obvious that Roos intends to step into a 'Coaching Director' type role, with the Swans, at the end of his next contract. Paving the way for his succession plan of Horse being the next senior coach.
    Given Roos intentions, I'd be surprised if Horse goes to the Kangas (I hope he does), unless he's starting to feel a bit like Peter Costello.
    Personally, I don't like the idea of them both staying on, just with a different title. IMO we need some fresh ideas injected into our gameplan and recruiting strategy.
    Others thoughts?
    Longmire looks to me as more of a career assistant coach (there'd have to be much less anxiety). I don't doubt that he'd make a great senior coach though. I'm not a fan of the Coaching Director position. Too many fingers in the pie-having said that, I'm sure it fits other corporate models. If Roos is going at the end of his contract, then I'd like to see a nice, transparent process for selection, rather than hand-balling the job to someone who's been in the wings. Doesn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Aren't the Roos' returning to the US at the end of the contract?
    I would imagine they'd want their kids to finish secondary school here first, and their youngest(about 12 or 13) is at least 4-5 years away from finishing.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Coach View Post
    If Roos is going at the end of his contract, then I'd like to see a nice, transparent process for selection, rather than hand-balling the job to someone who's been in the wings. Doesn't feel right.
    Agree, and I think that's what will happen. It's not Roos who will appoint his successor but Colless (if he's still there) and the board. I'm sure they are thinking medium-longterm about the coaching position. We don't want to be doing a Richmond (or Swans 2002) in dumping a coach mid-season and then trying to figure out a replacement.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

I see benefits, and a generally more effective coach.
    My only comment would be that I would have grave concerns with someone being a 'coaching director' and being able to be unbiased in his appraisal of the 'coach'
    Particularly given Roos' track record with not dropping his favorite players when it seems to have been needed.
    So my model would be a coaching director who is fairly far removed from the coach - which is kinda defeating the purpose of the model proposed by the Wobbles.

So in summary, it's a stupid idea, fraught with dangers.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Roos added that the Swans aren't looking at a similar plan but said the modern game is suited to an overseer type role of the sort Malthouse will be stepping into.
    As for his own assistant, Roos gave cautious support for any move John Longmire may take to further his own senior coaching ambitions - including the top job at his former club North Melbourne.

"I haven't sat down with John and talked through the North Melbourne position with him. He's very loyal and I'm sure his focus is on the next five weeks and the Sydney Swans footy club."

"I'd be supportive but I don't know whether John wants to do it and obviously the Kangaroos need to make a decision.
    What do these guys talk about when they're at work?!? Surely Roos knows exactly what Longmire's plans are.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    What do these guys talk about when they're at work?!?
    Yeah, nah, I reckon the boys are in with a chance this weekend. Just got to play four quarters and do the team thing. I'm just taking it one week at a time. Heard from Baz down at the snow yet? How about that League player switching codes . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Yeah, nah, I reckon the boys are in with a chance this weekend. Just got to play four quarters and do the team thing. I'm just taking it one week at a time. Heard from Baz down at the snow yet? How about that League player switching codes . . .

That's how I see it playing out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I would imagine they'd want their kids to finish secondary school here first, and their youngest(about 12 or 13) is at least 4-5 years away from finishing.
    You'll find a quote somewhere about Roos thinking the US College system @@@@s all over our crappy High Schools..................... or something like that!!!

I don't think he'll find too many junior AFL clubs for the kids though!!!