Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes versus St Kilda

Left Right Out
    As much as I dont like this change, its probably for the best that we dont pick a host of youngsters to come in and get belted by the top team. Like Ludwig said, blame the oldies on a (possible) loss.

But that said, we still have to play a couple of the other top 4 teams in Geelong and Collingwood. So what chance do they get to show their wares?? Possibly in 2 non-consectutive games?? Even then, Brisbane are no pushovers. I'll cop it this week and see what happens against the Tigers. Will Roos try and protect his win/loss record or give them a go??

He got us a Premiership with a list of battlers less than 4 years ago! (The Greatest day of my life!) Get off his back and give him a chance to rebuild!!!

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    He got us a Premiership with a list of battlers less than 4 years ago! (The Greatest day of my life!) Get off his back and give him a chance to rebuild!!!
    Explain to me how ; keeping a slow, hoplessly out of form, tagger.... Ablett and bringing in another old, out of form, tagger.... Crouch; has anything to do with rebuilding?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

So, out of interest, if P Roos continued on this vein, how long would it take for you to turn sour on him?
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Glad to see that Roos has the future in mind What a stupid selection.

Fact - we have 4 weeks remaining this year after this week.
    Fact - Roos has said it is hard to learn anything about our list in Canberra
    Fact - There are half a dozen players who need a run to get an idea of whether they should be on the list next year.

Fact - the gap between Roos' rhetoric and actions grows wider by the day. The guy is a walking talking contradiction.

He is wearing thin on me. As the great Alan Jeans said, you haven't coached until you've coached a bottom side (paraphrasing MM). Well, I don't think Roos is covering himself in glory at the task so far.
    Out of interest who in the reserves do we need to see play to see if they are going to remain on our list next year?

As for Crouch, he was always going to play this week with a forward line boasting Scheinder and Milne, Nick Smith can't play on both at once and Crouch is a very good match up for Milne.

I would have liked to have seen Ablett out and Thornton retained but we have seen enough of Thornton so far to suggest that he can play at senior level and will be retained next year.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Out of interest who in the reserves do we need to see play to see if they are going to remain on our list next year?

DST
    DOK, Murphy, MOD are three. Laidlaw? Of those DOK most pressing.

PS Schmidt
    Last edited by Legs Akimbo; 30th July 2009 at 08:30 PM.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

LIST OF BATTLERS...
    Hall (nearly won a brownlow, 500+ goal kicker)
    Goodes ( dual brownlow)
    Kirk, Jude (best taggers at the time)
    Bolton (best defenders beside scarlett)
    MOL (legend, awesome at the time)
    Ball (top ruckman)
    LRT (very good form that year)
    Kennelly (brilliant)

the list goes on

We had a very good list, Roos just made it work. Now is the real test for him. He inherited most of the 2005 list, he didn't have to rebuild. He is not the coach to rebuild around.

Oh and legs akimbo u shud add schmidt to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    DOK, Murphy, MOD are three. Laidlaw?
    DOK - spent the last 2 years injured and has only just returned to playing more than 4 games in a row. Too soon to call whether he can play at senior level but will be retained and given time in the reserves to get his body right

Murphy - getting close but a shoulder reconstruction has written his year off at senior level. Has another year on his contract so will be staying

MOD - His papers are stamped, can't dispose of it and therefore will not be around next year

Laidlaw - Has shown enough to suggest he can play football at senior level if his body holds up. Will be retained for next year and should be given time in the ressies to string 10 games together without having to worry about trying to get a kick at senior level

Curiie, Merideth, Schmiidt and Johnston are all injured or just coming back so are ruled out.

The only other one I can make a case for senior selection on the basis of needing to have a look at him is Brabazon and it's marginal as to whether like MOD his papers are stamped already due to poor disposal.

For what it's worth I think we will have 5 retirements and 2 delistments (MOD and Braba) with the rest to go on.

Oh and Thornton to play this week for Hannaberry.

DST

Part of me thinks its about not exposing the kids to the Saints and part of me thinks they've convinced themselves they are still mathematical chances for finals so that means they should take a low risk approach.

Either way, IMO it's a cop out - here's a chance to see what some of the kids have against a top team. No point seeing what they have in low pressure games (eg last week) when you still have question marks over their ability come the big games.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    DOK - spent the last 2 years injured and has only just returned to playing more than 4 games in a row. Too soon to call whether he can play at senior level but will be retained and given time in the reserves to get his body right

Murphy - getting close but a shoulder reconstruction has written his year off at senior level. Has another year on his contract so will be staying

MOD - His papers are stamped, can't dispose of it and therefore will not be around next year

Laidlaw - Has shown enough to suggest he can play football at senior level if his body holds up. Will be retained for next year and should be given time in the ressies to string 10 games together without having to worry about trying to get a kick at senior level

Curiie, Merideth, Schmiidt and Johnston are all injured or just coming back so are ruled out.

The only other one I can make a case for senior selection on the basis of needing to have a look at him is Brabazon and it's marginal as to whether like MOD his papers are stamped already due to poor disposal.

For what it's worth I think we will have 5 retirements and 2 delistments (MOD and Braba) with the rest to go on.

Oh and Thornton to play this week for Hannaberry.

DST
    A reminder - this year a place on the list is gold due to the GC17 next year. We cnanot afford to hang on to players if there are question marks against them.

DOK - remains untested at senior level. I think taking a look at how he adjusts to the pace of the AFL after stringing good games together in Canberra is just critical. Moreover, it gives DOK an idea of what he needs to do to succeed. He is the only one who has not played a senior game. Given Laidlaw has only played one - against Geelong in foul weather, he would get the same benefit.

Murphy - by all accounts, this guy is losing the faith. If we wish to retain him, a senior game or two will do him a world of motivational good. Certainly, I believe the club will benefit more than giving another game to Crouch

...and therein lies the issue. Crouch in / Courch out - we are going to lose. Even if we win, it means squat. May as well focus on next year and the year after and the year after.

I'd be more interested at this stage in seeing some new players given a run than watching Crouch battling it out in the declining years of his career. gives me hope that we are laying the foundation for future success.

That is why this decision is just mind boggling.

I am not saying Roos hasn't started the process. Rather that he seems to be tepid and rather too uncertain in his approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Part of me thinks its about not exposing the kids to the Saints and part of me thinks they've convinced themselves they are still mathematical chances for finals so that means they should take a low risk approach.

Either way, IMO it's a cop out - here's a chance to see what some of the kids have against a top team. No point seeing what they have in low pressure games (eg last week) when you still have question marks over their ability come the big games.
    Problem is though none of Currie, Laidlaw, Schmidt, Merideth, DOK, Johnston, Murphy are in a position to be considered for senior selection due to current or recent injuries.

All of the remaining kids (or new to the game) in White, Pyke, Bird, Jack, Smith, Hannaberry, Thornton and Vespremi are getting game time.

That just leaves MOD and Brabazon and as I have said before MOD is a certain de-listment and Brabazon is very close as well due to both having poor disposal.

DST

Suspended by the MRP

Arsenic Boys

Unfortunatly the change we had to have is to be to no avail - the Arsenic Boys will kill us?
    How?
    Arsenic poisoning kills by allosteric inhibition of essential metabolic enzymes, leading to death from multi-system organ failure. It primarily inhibits enzymes that require lipoic acid as a cofactor, such as pyruvate and alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase. Because of this, substrates before the dehydrogenase steps accumulate, such as pyruvate (and lactate). It particularly affects the brain, causing neurological disturbances and death.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast