The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by swans song View Post
    me thinks Leo will play on in 2010
    Hope not - is two seasons past use by date
    sprite

bloodstainedangels Emerald Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Pretty different circumstances.

Fletcher has languished in the WAFL thru indifferent form.

Leo has been out injured and if given a 'farewell' game, he may well have gained it on form as much as sentiment. Clearly not the case with Fletcher.

Added to this, Leo's mark has gained him a place in AFL folklore. He is a former captain who has bled for the club, so much so it almost cost him his life in Adelaide.

I hope he is given the chance.
    Hear Hear!
    "Notwithstanding the sight of all our miseries, which press upon us and take us by the throat, we have an instinct which we cannot repress, and which lifts us up." - Pascal

Team Manager NWJFC
    Nah me thinks that Leo will retire after the brisbane match

Regular in the Side
    He'll retire - he was already talking about hindsight being wonderful and whether he would have played o/signed a 1yr contract if he was goign to be injured for so long

Welcome back to the general.

He deserves just as good a send-off as the old MOL given he's done most of the hard defensive jobs over the last decade, often without the glory afforded to the more glamorous forwards and midfielders.

Unfortunately when you play the harder physical roles your body suffers more wear and tear so it's been a disappointing final year.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

That mark was pretty glorious!!!!!!!!

To those asking about players not in the team getting "farewell" matches...well Joel Bowden's has just been announced. Also Matthew Croft (bulldogs) springs to mind.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Veterans List
    I don't get inside goss very often but I do have a very firm source that Leo will play his farewell game vs Brissie (provided he doesn't do himself a mischief in the meantime of course!).

Will be a big night saying goodbye to two of our true club champs!

Leo is our smartest defender.
    I hope Leo is at the Swans in 2010 in some capacity, when he does retire he would make a great defence or development coach.

Leo back to where he belongs, in our top 22

Looking forward to his heart attack-inducing, backwards sidestep shuffles and last millisecond disposals one final time.

Onya Leo!!

Looks like Leo's retirement will be confirmed today.

Swan Barry to make announcement today - AFL.com.au
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast