Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Leo Barry Retirement????

Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    So he's going to play out the year?

I dunno if it's been mentioned in the game day thread, but Robert Walls said during the broadcast something like the Geelong game was going to be Leo's last.

Yeah, right-o wallsy.
    Word coming from the boundary line on the night was it was going to be his last, so something happened between Saturday and today's announcement for him to play the next two.

bloodstainedangels Emerald Hill's Avatar
    There have been more spectacular marks but never, and I mean NEVER, has there been a more significant, important and influential mark in the history of the AFL than the one Leo took in the 2005 Grand Final!!! It'll ensure that he's afforded exactly what he deserves - legendary status in the history of our club!
    "Notwithstanding the sight of all our miseries, which press upon us and take us by the throat, we have an instinct which we cannot repress, and which lifts us up." - Pascal

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    And that he did all this without flinching once is more amazing given he could have died in that incident in Adelaide when his spleen ruptured.

Those mad wild runs out of defence where not even Leo knew what was going on will be missed.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

On the Rookie List
    I met Leo on a coaching clinic up the coast years back with Nicksey.He was a very polite self effacing guy with no tickets on himself at all.At that time Nicks was the star and Leo was struggling up forward. To his credit he became one of the most dynamic defenders in the competition. We talk about his mark and so we should but his attack on the ball in the last quarter of the GFwas sensational too! He also made Captain and All Australian.Looking back on it now he had an amazing career ,not just one mark,but he will be remembered as the guy who took the greatest defensive mark of all time.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by gossipcom View Post
    Word coming from the boundary line on the night was it was going to be his last, so something happened between Saturday and today's announcement for him to play the next two.
    I would have been very disappointed if we couldn't have a proper farewell and so i think Round 22 will serve as a great tribute to both Leo and Micky O.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    And that he did all this without flinching once is more amazing given he could have died in that incident in Adelaide when his spleen ruptured.

Those mad wild runs out of defence where not even Leo knew what was going on will be missed.
    "Leo Barry has the decision making skills of a junkie."
    One of my favourite quotes ever.
    I'll miss sitting on the edge of my seat going right, left, right, left, right ...
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    "Leo Barry has the decision making skills of a junkie."
    One of my favourite quotes ever.
    I'll miss sitting on the edge of my seat going right, left, right, left, right ...
    It's amazing how often he does that and i just sit there waiting for him to be caught but he very rarely does - a unique player!!!

Yeah he is a unique player every time he got the ball and sprinted off half back you knew there was some indecisive move coming i found it hilarious. Watching Leo play was just so enjoyable he is and always will be a bit of fun.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One of the most courageous and committed players to pull on the glorious Red and White. This guy epitomises the bloods spirit.
    Thanks Leo for many great memories.

There are some awesome shots in the SMH gallery along with some funny ones as well!
    Last edited by Lucky Knickers; 18th August 2009 at 07:49 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    One more - my fave moment from the 2003 final against Port. Leo races back with eyes for the ball, he and Wanganeen career into one another blindly, two absolute belters as players, and we chain the ball forward for a Cresswell goal. THE highlight of that amazing second quarter.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    There are some awesome shots in the SMH gallery along with some funny ones as well!
    Did you notice that his eyes are closed in a lot of the marking shots? I'd thought "that mark" was a once-off but apparently not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    The Roos quote brought a tear to my eye:

?He is truly one of the great gentlemen and family men of the game.
    ?As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them.

?This he did with his fantastic athleticism but most importantly, an incredible self belief and desire to be the best player he could possibly be."
    Dermie made a comment a few years back about this skinny kid, benching pressing as much or more than he did, when he arrived at the swans.

He may not have been big, but apparently he was very strong.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast