Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leo Barry Retirement????

Leo Barry Retirement????

Was I asleep when his retirement was announced??

Despite speculation the 32-year-old would join several other veterans including Michael O'Loughlin and Leo Barry in retirement, Kirk told the Herald after Sunday's victory over Richmond that he wanted to play on, believing his experience and leadership could be useful for a team in transition.
    From this article on Kirky going for another year.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I'd say its a given. No "official" announcement I'd heard though.

Veterans List
    From the Swans' site:

"Decided to play on in 2009 after a long and distinguished career and will for ever be remembered for his spectacular mark in the dying seconds of the 2005 Grand Final to save the day for the Swans. Troubled by a hamstring injury in 2008, but still used his dash from full-back. He might be short for a key defensive role, but is rarely beaten. Signed for one last season in 2009 and will retire with a superb record."

Senior Player
    yeah i thought it was announced last year when he signed on for 2009. said at the time this will be his last year.

West Coast are unlikely to offer 2006 premiership midfielder Chad Fletcher a farewell game over the final three rounds of the season.

Fletcher, who will retire from AFL football at the end of this season, has played 178 games in 11 years with the Eagles.

But he has managed just four games at the top level this season, spending the majority of 2009 with Subiaco, and coach John Worsfold said it was unlikely
    Fletcher would be brought back into the team.

?I?ve given that a fair bit of thought because Chad?s been such a great player for the footy club and achieved so much and there?s a lot of factors to take into account,? Worsfold said.

?My gut feeling is that farewell games are generally for guys that are in the side and playing and you know it?s their last game. You get to round 22, an Adam Simpson case, he?s going to retire that week, then you can announce that that?s his farewell game if he?s been in the side and playing.

?But to bring a player who hasn?t been in the side for a number of weeks in just to play a farewell game I think is fairly rare and I don?t know if there?s a lot of value in that.

Funny how sides think???
    cheers

SYDNEY Swans defender Leo Barry is set to end the most frustrating 12 months of his career when he lines up against Geelong at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

From last two posts
    How different arew the clubs thinking
    cheers

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by swans song View Post
    SYDNEY Swans defender Leo Barry is set to end the most frustrating 12 months of his career when he lines up against Geelong at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

From last two posts
    How different arew the clubs thinking

Fortunately, there are a lot of ways the two clubs think differently.

We can either look at it as getting some value out of Leo's wages for the year; or the chance for a much-deserved farewell for someone who has been trying to get fit enough to play all year; or as the chance for the Swans' future back line to get some valuable game time with one of the AFL's great defensive generals.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Fortunately, there are a lot of ways the two clubs think differently.

We can either look at it as getting some value out of Leo's wages for the year; or the chance for a much-deserved farewell for someone who has been trying to get fit enough to play all year; or as the chance for the Swans' future back line to get some valuable game time with one of the AFL's great defensive generals.
    Or all of the above!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by swans song View Post
    Funny how sides think???
    Pretty different circumstances.

Fletcher has languished in the WAFL thru indifferent form.

Leo has been out injured and if given a 'farewell' game, he may well have gained it on form as much as sentiment. Clearly not the case with Fletcher.

Added to this, Leo's mark has gained him a place in AFL folklore. He is a former captain who has bled for the club, so much so it almost cost him his life in Adelaide.

I hope he is given the chance.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

It's a different circumstance, as one is out due to injury and one due to form. I can't think of any club who elevated an underperforming player for a farewell game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    It's a different circumstance, as one is out due to injury and one due to form. I can't think of any club who elevated an underperforming player for a farewell game.
    WrongWest Coast great Glen Jakovich has urged his old club to allow Chad Fletcher one last AFL home game, saying form alone dictated that the 2006 premiership midfielder be granted a farewell appearance.

Jakovich said sentiment was fading in football but every case should be assessed individually and Fletcher's form was "most definitely" good enough to play.

"It is not as if he is not going to be able to be a contributor," Jakovich said. "He is in rich form.

"If he was really struggling at Subi then I would question it but I reckon (on form) he should be in the side ahead of some other guys.

"The Eagles have got two home games left - Richmond and North Melbourne. I would play him in one of the two.

"I don't think it is going to jeopardise them - him coming off the bench being a pinch-hit player.

"He is a premiership player - he was elevated off the rookie list, he is a life member of the footy club. I think there is sentiment still for clubs in this day and age."

His form in WAFL is as followsFletcher has played only four times this season for 178 games which have produced a 2004 All-Australian jumper and the 2006 premiership. But he has been in stellar form for Subiaco, averaging 31 possessions a game over 11 matches.

He has had 35 or more possessions in four of his last five matches.
    cheers

It's different circumstances, one club has no culture to speak of what so ever (other than maybe a party one) and the other has built one of respect for the players that have worn it's jumper.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast