Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos to hand over coaching role to John Longmire

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    So we're going to go from a "defensive" game to an "offensive" game.

Here come the goals!!!!!
    Maybe Lyon was the architect of the defensive game.

On the Rookie List
    Why has an 'Insider' a better chance? Clarkson, Matthews, Thompson were all 'Outsiders' that coached teams to flags. Longmire may welll be a fine choice for the Swans but so may have several other available candidates - surely it would have been prudent to at least talk to others.

I'm guessing the thought of losing Horse to the Roos is behind this...
    Regards,

Boro Boy

Veterans List
    I think it's better to the sort of insecurity that the Tigers and North are going through at present.

Or the pi$$ing competition there will be over at the pies next year.

Or Roos staying on and becoming more stale in the role.

Longmire will want to stamp his own brand of coaching and that may be invigorating. After all, look how Lyons developed the Swans' game plan.

Regular in the Side
    It's not like members have a say in the Club anyway so I don't know why people would start complaining about due process, prudence, etc let alone expect to have an influence.

Personally though, I'll be happy with a handover.

Warming the Bench
    as long as there is a change in game plan to move forward with the rest of the competition i'm all for it but was still a little dissapointed that we aren't at least going to look at other candidates for the job.

I wonder if those with negative views would have thought the same if former Roos protege Ross Lyon got the gig - if he was still here, that is.

I don't have a problem with this. I'm sure due consideration has been given to the implications of the descision on the club as a whole.

Congrats John.
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Regular in the Side
    I am also worried, it sems that maybe RL was a huge bit behind the Swans premiership and if this is to work we need to get some new assistants. Blakey back to a defensive role (defence was were he made is mark) maybe we should look at another northerner Adam Simpson as an assistant as midfielder coach and look for another forward coach.

It's unlikely the Swans' gameplan or philosophies will change much because the structures are all in place from the coaching panel down to the recruiting staff (Maxwell). If Longmire had different ideas, we'd have seen them by now.

The Swans have more money than North and more stability than Richmond. We'd be an attractive prospect for ANY coach coming out of contract next year. For that reason I am a little disappointed.

I wonder if this decision would have been made if St Kilda weren't so dominant this year - in some ways vindicating the Swans' 05 gameplan and the coaching credentials of Longmire vis a vis Lyon?
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    why's everyone wan't change?
    Stability is the sign of success...Look at geelong..had pretty much the same team for 3 years and they dominated...now a few players are out, new players come in and they start losing.

Same with us back in 05/06...little injuries meant we had a stable side.

Same should be said for coaching panel.

Successful teams... Essendon(Sheedy) Port(williams) Cats( thompson) have long tenures as coach.

Keep changing all you want...hasn't worked for richmond or dockers for the last so many years. Longmire's been there and had a large thing to do with US winning a premiership n making finals every year. IMO players will be happy to see him get the top job after so many years as assistant n will want to play with him, they will already understand the gameplan.

Top decision..future is looking bright. now lets bring on the cats..
    Adam Goodes: Rising Star 99, Brownlow 2003, 2006
    Swans Premiers 1909, 1918,1933,2005, 2012

Have no issue with this at all, and for all those who are calling for a new game plan wake up.

The club has been going down this path for a long time (since the appointment of Eade) where we are looking to implement a brand of football and culture unique to us and no one else.

To acheive this, you look to the succesfull people within your own club to carry on the work, hence why Maxfield is now involved in recruitmemt, we went from Eade to Roos and we now have another hand over from within from Roos to Longmire.

Next step will be to implement the current crop of retirees in Kirk, Leo, Crouch etc into our football department (whether that be coaching, recruitment etc) going forward

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Given Roos isnt 60 and ready to retire yet, I wonder where he will turn up next - Western Sydney perhaps?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    Given Roos isnt 60 and ready to retire yet, I wonder where he will turn up next - Western Sydney perhaps?
    He has hinted in the past that he would to live in America.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast