Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos to hand over coaching role to John Longmire

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Paul Roos to hand over coaching role to John Longmire

Paul Roos to hand over coaching role to John Longmire | Herald Sun

after 2010. Press conference starting soon.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    wow.

Guess that's why Longmire had the headset on at the Richmond game and Roos was behind him.

Succession plan.

Big news.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Wouldn't be such a bad thing really, if Longmire coached from the box and Roos stayed on the bench chatting to the players. I kinda like it. Am sad to see Roosy go, but we all knew it was going to happen one day, he has always said he never saw himself as a career coach.

There's no doubt Longmire is rated highly internally, but I still think the club should be casting the net wider.

There isn't exactly the same hype around this succession plan as Buckley's arrival at Collingwood!
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

A succession plan makes for a smooth handover and a relaxed team where everyone knows where they stand - coaches, officials and players.

Veterans List
    Good. At least it's good if Roos spends this and next year with Kirk getting the team heading into the future with the same mindset as it's had in the recent past - and over the next few weeks. And if Horse spends next year coming up with the new coaching staff that will give the same lift as the beginning of Roos' reign did. Where's the next Dave Misson, etc?

Flag in 2011?

Senior Player
    Not sure I'm completely happy with the handover concept.

Firstly, I'm not convinced about Longmire and wouldn't mind seeing some new blood in the coaching box.

Secondly and more importantly, we dont know which coaches will be available at the end of 2010. Anything could happen between now and then.

How can we decide that Longmire is the man for the job when we don't go through a due dilligence? How does he compare with Hardwick and other young coaches now on the scene? And for all we know, names such as Worsfold, Thompson, Malthouse or Hird could be available by then.

It will also make it difficult to attract quality assistant coaches as they know they aren't in with a shot for the big job

FWIW I hope Longmire is a great coach and we look back on this as a masterstroke, but I've got to admit I'm not sold

On the rise
    Not sure about this. Would be more confident if Longmire emerged from a competitive process. I also think a new voice, a new perspective could be beneficial. The Board must have great confidence that we are on the right path.

Of course Roos' appointment was unusual and led to the ultimate success. I dearly hope that Longmire can repeat this.

Next year will be strange.

Hopefully the search for at least one new assistant will be a casting of the net. I wonder if the plan is for Kirk to join the coaching staff at the same time though.

I'm glad it's being done smoothly and hopefully seamlessly but I'm also a little wary that the deal has been done now without looking around. Still, we promoted from within with Roos (eventually.....) and that worked out ok!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Hopefully the search for at least one new assistant will be a casting of the net. I wonder if the plan is for Kirk to join the coaching staff at the same time though.

I'm glad it's being done smoothly and hopefully seamlessly but I'm also a little wary that the deal has been done now without looking around. Still, we promoted from within with Roos (eventually.....) and that worked out ok!
    Was wondering the same thing, Just have to assume Roos would not hand over his boys to someone he did not have confidenced in. I did hope he would stay on for a little longer, maybe show Kirk the ropes

I think it's an excellent move for all concerned.

Senior Player

Roos to retire at end of 2010

Sydney coach Paul Roos will retire from the post at the end of the 2010 AFL season and be replaced by assistant John Longmire.
    Paul Roos to retire at end of 2010

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast