Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paul Roos to hand over coaching role to John Longmire

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    The selection process at the draft table will also be interesting - who picks .... I guess that is really not up to me and we have to trust the Swans management... Ohhh thats right, there quiting too...
    Most football department set-ups have now removed the final say coaches have had come draft day. They still have input, but clubs removed the tendancy for coaches to think short term to get another contract.

With full time recruitment staff and player drafting committees involving various people within the football department, the coach has much less of a say on who will be drafted.

Our process will work exactly the same as it is now for selecting talent this year and the next in the draft.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

It's certainly been a long time coming but congratulations Horse!
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    The Swans have more money than North and more stability than Richmond. We'd be an attractive prospect for ANY coach coming out of contract next year. For that reason I am a little disappointed.
    True that. Though with the trend towards younger/rookie coaches these days, Longmire is at least as well credentialed if not more so than many of the senior coaches currently coaching in the AFL!

Eddie said something interesting on One Week At A Time the other night about football clubs tending to start from year zero in terms of the systems and structures in place when they appoint a new senior coach, ideally you want to find a balance between bringing in fresh ideas while not throwing out the things that worked well in the past. Perhaps the Swans plan to do this by appointing a new assistant coach from outside when Longmire takes over?

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    True that. Though with the trend towards younger/rookie coaches these days, Longmire is at least as well credentialed if not more so than many of the senior coaches currently coaching in the AFL!

Eddie said something interesting on One Week At A Time the other night about football clubs tending to start from year zero in terms of the systems and structures in place when they appoint a new senior coach, ideally you want to find a balance between bringing in fresh ideas while not throwing out the things that worked well in the past. Perhaps the Swans plan to do this by appointing a new assistant coach from outside when Longmire takes over?
    Ken Hinkley - from Cats would be an excellent pick up
    sprite

On the Rookie List
    Depending on who you listened to, Horse had a chance for the North Melbourne job. He would have been a perfect fit for them (and they might have looked at the success enjoyed by Rossy Lyons). I guess the Swans gig might just be more attractive to him (Arden St is being renovated but it's been crappy for a long time). I'm guessing that he must have had an application in with North and withdrew it. Interesting to see what Brayshaw makes of it on the Footy Show tomorrow night. Who would have thought Collingwood would be the pioneers of the succession plan.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by kangle4 View Post
    as long as there is a change in game plan to move forward with the rest of the competition i'm all for it but was still a little dissapointed that we aren't at least going to look at other candidates for the job.
    St Kilda play the same game plan and they're undefeated!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

On the veteran's list
    For all those talking about a new broom - think Buckanara, think Kineer! WE have a culture and work ethic which is the envy of the AFL. Why risk buggering it?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Longmire has b een calling the shots up in the coaches box for the last year or so, while Roosy has b een down on the ground. Succession has been rolling along for quite a while now. I trust both those guys to know exactly what they are doing.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Roos makes a valid point then he says

?We believe in our culture, we believe in our players and we believe in what they?ve done. We want to keep passing that down to the next senior coach."

The fact that we have one of the strongest cultures in the AFL is something we are all proud of, and these things tend to permeate own from the top. The coach is essential to this and hopefully Horse will continue to maintain this in the post Roos era. Its great that want to develop out own people and Longmire is one of the best credentialed assistants in the AFL.

The other point is that if Kirky retires at the end of next year, which i hope he doesnt he can be our new assistant! How good would that be!

Though it is extremely sad Roos is leaving and i will be sad at the end of next year when it happens.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I've changed from wanting a wider net cast to being content with Horse's ascendancy, mainly to do with continuity and club culture.
    An article in The Age around the time Wallace stepped out looked at what happened last time Richmond won the premiership. Apparently they cleaned out a raft of players in the belief that they had done what they could and it was time to get new talent. A former Richmond figure (sorry, can't recall who) said things had never been right since; they had destroyed their winning culture in the process.
    Perhaps we may have got a better coach than Longmire if we waited, perhaps not. I think the stability and maintaining the present culture is worth taking the step, and I wish JL all the best, with the warmest thanks to PR. It's good to hear that he will continue to be involved with the club in some way.
    In the meantime it would be good to see other sources tapped for coaching talent along the lines mentioned above by Xie Shan and sprite. James Hird would benefit from an apprenticeship, and while he might end up at Essendon he's not going to learn nearly as much there at present as he would with the Swans, and we're a much more attractive proposition than Port. And just to be clear, I'd be very happy if a place was found for Kirk.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Paul Roos

I am happy for John Longmire, its been long time coming and he deserves it, but I am a betting man, I reckon Paul Roos will coach the Swans again.
    Next 10-15 years.
    Anyone give me odds??

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I've changed from wanting a wider net cast to being content with Horse's ascendancy, mainly to do with continuity and club culture.

In the meantime it would be good to see other sources tapped for coaching talent along the lines mentioned above by Xie Shan and sprite. James Hird would benefit from an apprenticeship, and while he might end up at Essendon he's not going to learn nearly as much there at present as he would with the Swans, and we're a much more attractive proposition than Port. And just to be clear, I'd be very happy if a place was found for Kirk.

I actually think this process is already in place. He is coaching from the ground already, he is on the phone discussing this with Horse, he is discussing things with Roosy on the sideline. Don't tell me he is not being groomed for succession.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast