Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Murphy signs for another year / Breaking news: Murphy to return to Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Doesn't mean we can't feel we lost his potential though. He was also a tall, an endangered species at the Swans.

If anything, the fact that he was a rookie means this is more of a loss, because we only get to replace him with a rookie, and as far as rookies go he was showing more than average.
    Poppycock and drivel. We may as well lament the loss of Michael Jordan - potential AFL star and all that he was.
    Fact is the kid never made it, couldn't make, and won't make it with this attitude.

Good luck to the young bloke in the future.

No real loss to us.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post

If anything, the fact that he was a rookie means this is more of a loss, because we only get to replace him with a rookie, and as far as rookies go he was showing more than average.
    I'd argue the loss of someone like Kennelly is felt a bit more than the departure of a player who never made it.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    I'd argue the loss of someone like Kennelly is felt a bit more than the departure of a player who never made it.
    Of course. This is comparing him with somebody on the senior list that never played a game.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by T-bag View Post
    Poppycock and drivel. We may as well lament the loss of Michael Jordan - potential AFL star and all that he was.
    Fact is the kid never made it, couldn't make, and won't make it with this attitude.

Good luck to the young bloke in the future.

No real loss to us.
    Not really. We put a lot of training and effort into Murphy, and when fit he showed signs that he might actually make it at AFL level. Of course, he was never tested on the big stage, but to say that it's no loss at all is bull@@@@. It's not much of a loss. It's certainly not the end of the world. But it's disappointing, given the hopes the club and the fans had for him.

99% of players drafted show at least a little bit of potential that they will make it in the AFL, that's why they were drafted in the first place.

If Murphy is a loss, then Brabazon will be aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    99% of players drafted show at least a little bit of potential that they will make it in the AFL, that's why they were drafted in the first place.

If Murphy is a loss, then Brabazon will be aswell
    Brabazon has had opportunities, and his career has not been curtailed by injury. If he goes, it will definitely be because he wasn't good enough. Murphy, on the other hand, hasn't shown that he's not up to it talent-wise. He hasn't had the opportunity to show anything, because he has struggled with injury. It is injury and homesickness that has sent him packing, not lack of talent.

The fact is that outside influences have caused a bloke to leave. It wasn't that he wasn't good enough (he may still not have been, but we'll never know), it was something non-footy related. It's disappointing. Anybody who denies that is quite frankly full of @@@@.

FROM SMH; Sydney will have another spare spot on their rookie list after Irishman Brendan Murphy told the club he had decided to return home after two seasons with the Swans. Murphy, rated by Tadhg Kennelly as the finest talent in Gaelic football when he signed with Sydney, was hampered by injuries. ''I've lost the drive and passion to play AFL,'' he said.

I noted in a previous Ressies post that he looked like just didn't want to be there as he just wasn't involved in the game. Sorry to see I was right. Hope he is a cracker at Gaelic.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I'm beginning to think that we're wasting our time investing in half hearted Irish mummy's boys and would be much better off looking to potential Indigenous talent to develop.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    I'm beginning to think that we're wasting our time investing in half hearted Irish mummy's boys and would be much better off looking to potential Indigenous talent to develop.
    Or any kid with potential who's whole goal in life is to play AFL. At least they have the desire.

Also, maybe Tadhg's leaving has had a domino effect. They came coz of him ,and no he is not here!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Or any kid with potential who's whole goal in life is to play AFL. At least they have the desire.

Also, maybe Tadhg's leaving has had a domino effect. They came coz of him ,and no he is not here!?!?
    I think you are right Scott. No harm in being young and homesick, but its a helluva way to go to get a home fix. Think we should be looking closer to home.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Yeah.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    We probably should just stick to recruiting Sydney boys as well because those interstate 'mummy's boys' also have a tendency to return home too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast