Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Murphy signs for another year / Breaking news: Murphy to return to Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We probably should just stick to recruiting Sydney boys as well because those interstate 'mummy's boys' also have a tendency to return home too.
    Now now .... not since Anthony Rocca!!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I think the difference with the Irish Guys is that the switch to AFL is basically a financial decision and is therefore really just a job.

Like any job, if you dont like doing what you are doing then you generally tend to leave, particularly when your stuck doing that job away from your family and friends and yur getting injured. They cant be expected to have the same passion for the game that would drive them to work through the hard times like an aussie guy who has grown up with AFL as one of the sporting pinnacles. Maybe the trip home mid year hindered rather than helped the homesickness.

Was he the one dubbed the "Irish Chris Judd"?

It looked bad when he returned to Ireland while injured, and some suggested then that he may not return.

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We probably should just stick to recruiting Sydney boys as well because those interstate 'mummy's boys' also have a tendency to return home too.
    Recruiting kids so far from home is a big gamble. Even though this one didn't work out I for one am happy that the club is willing to take big risks. In the long run the success of Kennelly and maybe Pyke (time will tell) more than makes up for the losses along the way.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Think of the F/S selections!

Reverse eugenics?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Looks like our Western experiment (Wheeler & Pyke - a bit of artistic licence with Sanford) is far more successful than our European one.

Time to look to South Africa? Or some US basketballers (Jesse & Jake look promising), but how about some of the US college 6'7"+ athletic types? Given the 25% success-rate from Ireland, if Roosy is going to think outside the box, there must be other boxes out there. If he ever plans to return to the US with Mrs Roos, he could be our recruiter over there...
    AFL is an endurance sport. I'd be heading to Kenya and Ethiopia in search of some long distance runners. Midfielders that could run all day, and then run home after the game. A midfield boasting J Bolton, B Kirk, R O'Keefe and Haile Gebrselassie sounds pretty good to me.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    Was he the one dubbed the "Irish Chris Judd"?
    Coz they both returned to their birthplace?

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    AFL is an endurance sport. I'd be heading to Kenya and Ethiopia in search of some long distance runners. Midfielders that could run all day, and then run home after the game. A midfield boasting J Bolton, B Kirk, R O'Keefe and Haile Gebrselassie sounds pretty good to me.
    I was thinking of a different sort of athlete. Why don't we get a few professional wrestlers? They're used to body-on-body contact, are pretty fit and are strong in a one-on-one contest. They may not get a kick, but hell, nor does Pyke...

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    I was thinking of a different sort of athlete. Why don't we get a few professional wrestlers? They're used to body-on-body contact, are pretty fit and are strong in a one-on-one contest. They may not get a kick, but hell, nor does Pyke...
    They're all playing Rugby Yawnion

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Coz they both returned to their birthplace?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    There must be some serious talent in the Sudanese community - is anyone (from the Swans) looking?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Yep Murphy has officially left the Swans.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast