Thread: Blacktown Olympic Park Opening

Almost Football Legend

Blacktown Olympic Park Opening

It's been a long time, if ever, since Sydney AFL got on the front and back page os a newspaper. But a copy of this week's Blacktown Advocate has fallen into my hands - and around the paper is a 4-page liftout advertising Saturday's Family SportsFest.
    If the promotion's anything to go by, it'll be a big occasion. Several sports will be represented around the complex, with appearances by sports stars (including Tony Lockett) and plenty of giveaways.
    And taking centre stage is our game, with the stadium opening ceremony at 6:00 followed by the Blacktown City Mayoral Shield match between Wests and Pennant Hills.

Admission is free, the promotion is there and the weather forecast looks good. I'll be out there for this week's RWO match report & pictorial. Hopefully the people of the Blacktown area will come and give our comp a bumper crowd. And hopefully Wests and Penno will put on a good match worthy of the occasion.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    It's been a long time, if ever, since Sydney AFL got on the front and back page os a newspaper. But a copy of this week's Blacktown Advocate has fallen into my hands - and around the paper is a 4-page liftout advertising Saturday's Family SportsFest.
    If the promotion's anything to go by, it'll be a big occasion. Several sports will be represented around the complex, with appearances by sports stars (including Tony Lockett) and plenty of giveaways.
    And taking centre stage is our game, with the stadium opening ceremony at 6:00 followed by the Blacktown City Mayoral Shield match between Wests and Pennant Hills.

Admission is free, the promotion is there and the weather forecast looks good. I'll be out there for this week's RWO match report & pictorial. Hopefully the people of the Blacktown area will come and give our comp a bumper crowd. And hopefully Wests and Penno will put on a good match worthy of the occasion.
    Should be a good day. Western Sydney Youth (U14's and 16's) semis are also on field #2 with the 1 v 2 semi of Under 16's, Emu Plains V Razorbacks starting at 5:10 PM

I do find it amusing that Penno and Ashfield are fighting out the inaugural "Blacktown Mayoral Cup". Would have been better to see Manly and Wollongong play it

Senior Player
    Looked like the lights were in full swing last night when I headed past. Looks from a distance M7 that is would be brilliant to play and watch night footy at.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Looked like the lights were in full swing last night when I headed past. Looks from a distance M7 that is would be brilliant to play and watch night footy at.
    I agree Tara. Everytime I have driven past it lights up like a proverbial christmas tree. Would be an amazing venue to play at I would think and going by the photos online it looks a great surface. The lights remind me of the MCG lights.

Almost Football Legend
    It certainly looked great tonight with the lights on. The surface was top-notch. Since we were last out there at the rep game they've got the electronic scoreboard and big screen built; and they've rolled out the grass on the hill.
    It was a good third-quarter burst by Wests to take out the game. And a well-run event - from sporting demonstrations and clinics through the afternoon to the presentation of the Mayoral Shield and the spectacular fireworks display at the end. Blacktown Olympic Park, Blacktown Council and the Sydney AFL are to be congratulated for a successful day. When Stephen Hudson at the presentation said "I love Blacktown", he spoke for all at the ground.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

By all accounts it looked great. Blacktown Council and the Sydney AFL are to be congratulated. Unfortunately, l couldn?t make as it was all hands back on deck @ RG?s listening to PK bang on about his coaching record & down playing being minor premiers.
    We kicked a club record of over 80 goals yesterday in 1?s & 2?s. And who said we couldn?t do it!!!! Crap PK did - (All good SHH, i dont think we'll catch the 20 odd % we are behind. They can have the minor, we have our eyes on the bigger one).
    Can?t wait to play at Blacktown oval. Go jets

QUOTE=Norris Lurker;455303]It certainly looked great tonight with the lights on. The surface was top-notch. Since we were last out there at the rep game they've got the electronic scoreboard and big screen built; and they've rolled out the grass on the hill.
    It was a good third-quarter burst by Wests to take out the game. And a well-run event - from sporting demonstrations and clinics through the afternoon to the presentation of the Mayoral Shield and the spectacular fireworks display at the end. Blacktown Olympic Park, Blacktown Council and the Sydney AFL are to be congratulated for a successful day. When Stephen Hudson at the presentation said "I love Blacktown", he spoke for all at the ground.[/QUOTE]

I had a wander out to Blacktown Olympic Park yesterday to check out the new AFL facility.

It's quite an attractive venue, something that's been long overdue in Sydney. It seats 1,500 people and has an overall capacity of about 10,000. I reckon it will draw a near capacity crowd next year when the Swans play a pre-season match there. Parking will be a nightmare.

Team GWS were operating a small information stall, and were reasonably busy encouraging the handful of teenage boys present to provide their contact details. They were also handing out information packs for local businesses, which detailed the new team's catchment area. Now we know who they're targeting.

Team GWS sees it's catchment as everything west of Homebush, including the Auburn, Parramatta, Holroyd, Fairfield, Blacktown, Liverpool, Penrith and Blue Mountains council areas. To the north-west, it includes Baulkham Hills and Hawkesbury Shire Councils (which stretch as far north as Windsor and Wiseman's Ferry).

To the south, it includes Camden, Campbelltown and Wollondilly Council, which stretches as far as Oakdale in the west, Bargo in the south, and Appin in the east (apparently, Greater Western Sydney doesn't stretch down to Bowral, Goulburn, or the ACT).

If you invest $5,000 as a foundation partner, you get 8 tickets to the inaugural NAB Cup Match at Blacktown Olympic Park, and 8 tickets to two of the ANZ Stadium Blockbusters in 2010. In 2011, when the new club is formally launched, it's the same deal. You also get tickets to AFL cocktail parties at the new venue.

I'll definitely go the the NAB Cup match, but I think I'll be taking the train.