Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sculpture Of A Sydney Swans Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    How did they manage to get his two sons out of the sculpture?
    Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Started the day with a larf.
    You can't beat that.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Strongly disagree.

I sit directly opposition the Victor Trumper in the far away Bradman Stand. But I still have to walk past it to get to the Bradman Stand. I suggest that unless you are a SCG member, come what may, if you are going to the Sydney Cricket Ground, you have to go through that entrance, and will see the sculpture of Roosey and and 2005 Premiership Cup.

If on the other hand, you are a cricket fan, you will NOT see the sculptures of either Ritchie Benaud or Fred Spofforth unless you are a SCG member. They are tuck away behind the SCG Members Stand.

Where were you suggesting the Paul Roos sculpture should go?
    Somewhere more noticeable. Perhaps in front of the SCG, where the general public could see it, regardless of whether or not they go inside? It's quite easy to miss seeing it where it's located, especially if the crowd going into the ground obstructs your view.

But then, obstructed viewing is an SCG-specialty, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Somewhere more noticeable. Perhaps in front of the SCG, where the general public could see it, regardless of whether or not they go inside? It's quite easy to miss seeing it where it's located, especially if the crowd going into the ground obstructs your view.

But then, obstructed viewing is an SCG-specialty, isn't it?
    Well, it is in fact the SCG - Sydney Cricket Ground - so its kind of amazing we have a visible sculpture of a footballing triumph! Other than Yabby, the others are tucked in and around buildings right inside. I am happy its in a secure place, very near the Swans Club entrace, and is there for all to see even if it takes a fractional effort. Perhaps we should all chip in for a red spotlight?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Oh and Hoot!!!!!!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I think it's brilliant and totally agree that it celebrates a great moment in our history rather then one particular person.
    I think the location is perfect. I sit in the Noble and when I read it would be in the Trumper, thought I wouldn't get to see it until the cricket, but as we were walking back to the car, you can clearly see it from the footpath and clearly make out what it is in tribute to.
    The nice security lady let us go in and have a close look and I must admit, facially it's VERY generic!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    LOVL!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Anyone else think the sculpture was, well, kinda awful? Looked like a random bloke with nice slacks and poor teeth.

Blog Entries

Photoshop, of course.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Anyone else think the sculpture was, well, kinda awful? Looked like a random bloke with nice slacks and poor teeth.
    There was a photo of the Tony Lockett sculpture in the Sun-Herald. Remember, this was the work of art rejected. I didn't think it was too bad at all comparable to the Paul Roos one on display.

I hope THIS TIME Plugger makes a successful comeback, and we see a sculpture of him sometime in the near future. There is nothing worse than being told you're IN, and then find out your OUT, simply because the artist wasn't good enough in the eyes of the benefactor.

Regular in the Side
    They really do need to find a new sculptor/ess
    The ones at the MCG you can at least work out who they are...actually they are way better than that!!!
    The Lockett one and the Roos one are awful in terms of likeness
    Although i think the holding up of the cup is a totally appropriate subject
    Red and white till I die

The original Plugger one had him kicking at the drop of the ball (including the ball) with his eyes in the distance. He NEVER took his eyes off the ball to the drop - once the ball left his boot he followed the line. It was all wrong, and they were right in saying it was not acceptable.
    He is a champion goal kicker and it was sculptured as if he was someone who had never kicked a ball in his life.

Now just as a counterpoint. Anyone notice the Roosy statue has no bum to speak of? Its not right really, but the pose is right. That statue is a capture of the moment, and it works. Its not particularly a portrait of the man which is just as well because its not quite there. But the most important bit is. The moment in time and the emotion.