Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawks refuse to rule out Hall

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    It's all about getting him to the club he wants. Rather than him risking the PSD.

A low pick wouldn't be bad to get for him.
    sprite

I might attract a few scathing rebuttles from a few, but I for one am glad big Barry has left us.

Over the last 2 years, he provided little value and I use to cringe at the way he use to carry on towards umpires. Too often he would have a brain snap, which somewhat limited our chances to win some winnable games.

Even if Barry provides a small amount of bargaining power during the trade period thats a win for us.

I can't see why the Hawks would want him or why we'd want to keep him.

The only teams that could use him are really the Bulldogs and perhaps Essendon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    I can't see why the Hawks would want him or why we'd want to keep him.

The only teams that could use him are really the Bulldogs and perhaps Essendon?
    Franklin, Roughead and Hall - with Rioli and Williams as well. Almost impossible to match up on.

Having said that, I doubt they're seriously interested.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Have three key forwards ever worked before?

Ever been tried before?

All different types, all quality footballers so I don't see why it couldn't.

They could actually do it so Roughead can go down back, as their backline is really struggling.

Imagine the free kicks against with Baz and Buddy in the one forward line
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    There are plenty of examples

Hawks mid 80's premierhsip teams always used to have 3 - Dunstall, Brerereton and Dear/Abbott

More recently Pies had Tarrant, Cloke and Rocca in their 2 GF losses

Brisbane had Lynch, Brown and Bradshaw in their 3 premierships

I'm sure there's more examples but can't pull them out off the top of my head

I guess you could play Roughhead as the swing player, which is what Bradshaw did at the Lions. Brisbane are probably the only team to successfully integrate three big forwards I think. Alternatively it could free up Buddy to rove up to the wing.

Travis Cloke wasn't in the Collingwood side in 02-03 and Jason Cloke was a loose backman.

Greg Dear was a ruckman. Paul Dear was a half forward/wing and wasn't mid 1980s. Abbott wasn't particularly successful as a key forward, except for his big day out in the 1988 GF.
    Last edited by Lohengrin; 26th August 2009 at 03:23 PM.

I reckon Hall, Roughy and Franklin could work. Roughy can play back when needed, Franklin can play spurts in the midfield. Perhaps this would free up a bloke like Mark Williams to move into the midfield as well.

Not as strange as it seems at first thought, though I'd still be surprised if they seriously went after him.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veteran Site Admin
    I would have thought the Hawks have other priorities. Their forward line hasn't really struggled to kick goals when they've got it up there. They've just not been able to get the ball forward as often or as quickly as last year, and their defence has leaked at times.

Collingwood is one example of a team which is having some success with multiple key forwards. Cloke and Anthony are their mainstays, and they might still try to fit Rocca in there too. Plus Medhurst, while smallish, plays more of a lead and marking role than a small, tricksy crumbing forward role.

On the veteran's list
    perhaps Essendon?
    The team that needs a bloke like Hall is Geelong. However Thompson says they're not into recycling players - perhaps he's forgotten where Ottens and Harley came from!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

I thought of Geelong, but I don't think you want Hall and Mooney in the same forward line, particularly if you are trying to develop Hawkins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast