Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swans do an about-face on Western Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    ...they'd also have cheer girls all named Shazza.
    Don't you think that the "Raylene's" would be upset with that???

You beat me to it Primmy ... great minds and all!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Don't you think that the "Raylene's" would be upset with that???

You beat me to it Primmy ... great minds and all!!
    Nah...they'd all have one name. Learning more than one name would be too taxing.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Nah...they'd all have one name. Learning more than one name would be too taxing.
    Darl, they still gotta learn all their last names!!
    When Shazza has 10 kids, all called Wayne, the only way to differentiate between which one she actually wants when she's screaming out the back door, is to call them by their last name.

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    In fact, I fully intend buying a membership of Western Sydney......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I'm with you lucky, I plan on buying membership also, so I can get my fix every weekend.
    Not sure on the actual purchase of a membership, but I reckon I'll go to more than 50% of their games. This will leave 1 free weekend a month to satisfy the family BBQ's etc that they know must get scheduled around the footy.

My real hope is the AFL can come up with some type of AFL membership which allows access to all games in Sydney.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Not sure on the actual purchase of a membership, but I reckon I'll go to more than 50% of their games. This will leave 1 free weekend a month to satisfy the family BBQ's etc that they know must get scheduled around the footy.

My real hope is the AFL can come up with some type of AFL membership which allows access to all games in Sydney.
    Buying a membership to the Bogans is just putting money in their coffers. It's like buying a ticket to see Collingwood ... why would you encourage them like that?? If you were so rich, you'd buy another Swannies membership. You know, kinda like putting your money where your mouth is!!

I just don't see that amongst the general Sydney population there will be as big a 'Us against Them' hatred as some RWO'ers think.

I know I will be going to a lot of Western Sydney games and have no doubt I will be cheering for them in all games except v Swans.

I mean seriously, will you be cheering for the likes of Collingwood and Carlton when they come to Sydney to play the Westies???

This isn't Adelaide where for generations you either loved or hated Port. When Port came into the competition, everybody in Adelaide knew where they stood with that club, yeh or ney.

I'd reckon there will be a fair chunk of Swans members/regulars who will have more than a passing interest in the new team without feeling a need to hate them.

I just don't see that amongst the general Sydney population there will be as big a 'Us against Them' hatred as some RWO'ers think.

I know I will be going to a lot of Western Sydney games and have no doubt I will be cheering for them in all games except v Swans.

I mean seriously, will you be cheering for the likes of Collingwood and Carlton when they come to Sydney to play the Westies???

This isn't Adelaide where for generations you either loved or hated Port. When Port came into the competition, everybody in Adelaide knew where they stood with that club, yeh or ney.

I'd reckon there will be a fair chunk of Swans members/regulars who will have more than a passing interest in the new team without feeling a need to hate them.

I'm pretty sure the swans are banking on us hating them!!

On the Rookie List
    For all of us North coasters who live a few hours or more south of Brisbane but support the Swans coz we are NSW cockroaches,the formation of a Gold Coast team creates a dillema.We can't get down to Sydney easily on a weekend but we can drive to Carara on the Gold coast quite easily. It's an hour from my house and I used to watch the old Brisbane Bears play there years ago. I have already decided to have them as my second team because I will be able to watch them but barrack for the Swans whenever the two teams play each other.
    This is not being disloyal to the Swans ,its just the only way I can practically watch live AFL. Hopefully the Gold Coast will play mostly on Saturdays so i can watch the Swans on Sunday on TV. I would choose to watch the Swans on TV than go to a live GC match!

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    For all of us North coasters who live a few hours or more south of Brisbane but support the Swans coz we are NSW cockroaches,the formation of a Gold Coast team creates a dillema.We can't get down to Sydney easily on a weekend but we can drive to Carara on the Gold coast quite easily. It's an hour from my house and I used to watch the old Brisbane Bears play there years ago. I have already decided to have them as my second team because I will be able to watch them but barrack for the Swans whenever the two teams play each other.
    This is not being disloyal to the Swans ,its just the only way I can practically watch live AFL. Hopefully the Gold Coast will play mostly on Saturdays so i can watch the Swans on Sunday on TV. I would choose to watch the Swans on TV than go to a live GC match!
    Mate, it's a natural reaction and good on you.

I've watched the Swans with the same group since they came to Sydney in '82. We all worked together on the racetrack and in those days of no Sunday racing and a Swans game every second Sunday, it was a natural fit.

The group has changed shape a fair bit, some have moved from Sydney, some have died (it happens ) and kids have come and gone as they get older and boys/girls etc come into the equation.

There has been one constant close mate who has been with me the whole way. He was as solid a Carlton supporter as there was. He went from enjoying ribbing us when Carlton beat us to being torn when they played each other to hating them like the rest of us. It took about 10 years for this to evolve, but it happened eventually.

Do I think he's a turncoat for switching allegiances from the side he supported in his formative years back as a young bloke in Tassie? Not at all, he just started to bleed for the guys he enjoyed watching slugging it out every second weekend until they wooed him completely.

As I said, a natural reaction to be drawn to guys you respect and see putting their heart and soul into it week in, week out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Go for it Harti! We have taught you how to be a good fan, now go out and multiply! You will find inside yourself how you feel when at a Coast game, and whether or not y ou can abide not being a blood. Eventually you will know. I had a terrible time after being shafted by Howard marking the Labour candidates. Surprised the hell out of me! I stood there for ages!
    Take into consideration the boys who have to switch clubs at times when they don't really want to, and they do the best with what they have. This doesn't sound very encouraging does it. However I doubt we at R&W will ban you for life. Does that help-?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Mate, it's a natural reaction and good on you.

I've watched the Swans with the same group since they came to Sydney in '82. We all worked together on the racetrack and in those days of no Sunday racing and a Swans game every second Sunday, it was a natural fit.

The group has changed shape a fair bit, some have moved from Sydney, some have died (it happens ) and kids have come and gone as they get older and boys/girls etc come into the equation.

There has been one constant close mate who has been with me the whole way. He was as solid a Carlton supporter as there was. He went from enjoying ribbing us when Carlton beat us to being torn when they played each other to hating them like the rest of us. It took about 10 years for this to evolve, but it happened eventually.

Do I think he's a turncoat for switching allegiances from the side he supported in his formative years back as a young bloke in Tassie? Not at all, he just started to bleed for the guys he enjoyed watching slugging it out every second weekend until they wooed him completely.

As I said, a natural reaction to be drawn to guys you respect and see putting their heart and soul into it week in, week out.
    Nice description of being a footy supporter.

Though when you said the group has changed shape I thought you meant, er, bodily.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That would be TOPS!
    If that isn't available, I'll buy a membership as I want to support the club. I just love footy and the best thing would be to drive around Sydney and see ovals within ovals and 4 posts at either end!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12