View Poll Results: My stance on West Sydney

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I live in Sydney (includes Cental Coast, W'gong etc.) and will be buying a membership

8 14.81%
  • I live in Sydney and will go to a fair few games and see them as my second side

8 14.81%
  • I live in Sydney, will attend some games, but cannot see myself as ever really cheering for them, I just want to watch footy

12 22.22%
  • I live in Sydney and will go to some games just to cheer the opposition...even if it's Collingwood

0 0%
  • I live in Sydney and don't care, but won't be attending games

7 12.96%
  • I live in Sydney, will never attend and hope they die

3 5.56%
  • I don't live in Sydney but hope they do well

3 5.56%
  • I don't live in Sydney and don't care one way or the other

11 20.37%
  • I don't live in Sydney and hope they die...and quickly

2 3.70%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western Sydney - Are u on board??

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    I'm right behind having two teams in Sydney, I want the code to grow stronger in NSW, tonite at the SCG (Swans v. Lions) at the half time break, there were two Auskick teams made up entirely of girls and they were all having a red hot go.
    There will be more press, an AFL game here every week, cross town rivalry, more and more kids choosing AFL over Thugby.
    It's all good and for the good of the game it's not just all about The Swans.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    I'm right behind having two teams in Sydney, I want the code to grow stronger in NSW, tonite at the SCG (Swans v. Lions) at the half time break, there were two Auskick teams made up entirely of girls and they were all having a red hot go.
    There will be more press, an AFL game here every week, cross town rivalry, more and more kids choosing AFL over Thugby.
    It's all good and for the good of the game it's not just all about The Swans.

HP
    Completely agree HP.
    The Swans are a huge part of my life (I verge on fanatical) but the only way to get the game really BIG in this state is to have two teams and I plan on buying membership and supporting them as my second team.
    That said though, I think it will be an uphill battle as I just don't see West Sydney as having the right demographic to support it.

I guess I would have a soft spot for Western Sydney because I live in Western Sydney. I reckon we should wait and see how things plan out as well, I have a feeling this new Western Sydney team still might not go through.

On the Rookie List
    Time will tell but I wonder if they will ever have the same intense rivalry of say, Port and Crows, or Freo and WCoast. I'm sure they, media etc., will try to manufacture something much as was done with NRL's Origin. That would make it good for ratings but I'm not sure it would not exist naturally. Those of us with a love of Aussie Rules would just appreciate the extra game, the extra coverage etc. Hope the AFL has to courage to keep moving with this.
    Last edited by GoSouth33; 30th August 2009 at 11:31 PM.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Quote Originally Posted by GoSouth33 View Post
    Time will tell but I wonder if they will ever have the same intense rivalry of say, Port and Crows, or Freo and WCoast. I'm sure they, media etc., will try to manufacture something much as was done with NRL's Origin. That would make it good for ratings but I'm not sure it would not exist naturally. Those of us with a love of Aussie Rules would just appreciate the extra game, the extra coverage etc. Hope the AFL has to courage to keep moving with this.
    I wasn't around in 1982 when NRL Origin for formulated, but it seems to me that in the present day the rivalry is huge. I think that while the Swans/GWS rivalry will be pumped up by media in the begining, it won't take long for it to live up to the hype. Someone will get knocked out, or finals will be on the line, or fans will go feral bragging about it (I honestly think Fremantle calls the year good if they finish the year with only 2 wins - both over West Coast).

Like a good souffl?, it just needs time to rise.
    10100111001 ;-)

i think it will only help having West sydney

it will make kids think I have two possibilities to stay in sydney

it will strengthen the numbers and the standard of the syd comp

good article with Sheedy

Tigers-Dons the blueprint for Sydney - RFNews - realfooty.com.au
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Best wishes to GWS, but that said just another team to dislike.
    Hmmm going to have some great battles of the "bogan" fans.. Port vs GWS, Collingwood vs GWS.
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkemu View Post
    I would have ticked this if it was an option

"I live in Sydney and will go to a fair few games and may see them as my second side"

It will really depend on what type of supporters they pick up
    Yeah, this is probably me as well. I like the idea of a second Sydney team and really hope it works. But as far as picking them as a second team, it would depend on a lot of deep and meaningful sporting factors ... their colours, the name ... um ... like that. If they go anywhere near purple or maroon, or pick a lame name like Power or Storm or some other singular market-tested thing or are a bunch of lemmings and choose a name of a North American animal, I'll hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    That said, I reckon that those of us who've said we want an extra "footy fix" should probably start up an RWO group next year to pick a SFL team to follow and get along to their games on the weeks that the Swans aren't playing at home! Unless there already is such a thing!
    That's what I do already...

The fact that under 10% of respondants to that poll are looking at any significant investment in this startup company is quite concerning. In short they will need to find "new" fans. Well, it's taken over 20 years for us to get enough real fans to be viable and most Swans fans would have had a disposition towards the games anyway.

Given that we're not for changing how long will it take for them to their base to a sustainable level?

This notion of "Casual Fans" and "Neutral Supporters" is an idiotic one. You are either in or you aint. For this to have any chance of success they will need a hard-core full-paying support within 5 - 10 years. Just my opinion of course but I can't see it happening.

Don't forget, we haven't seen the NRL fightback yet. Companies like News Ltd aren't in the habit of taking losing market share lying down.....
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 15th November 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    The fact that under 10% of respondants to that poll are looking at any significant investment in this startup company is quite concerning. In short they will need to find "new" fans. Well, it's taken over 20 years for us to get enough real fans to be viable and most Swans fans would have had a disposition towards the games anyway.
    Given this is a Swans supporters site, why would that be concerning?
    I would be concerned if the figure was higher than that from the Swans POV.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Given this is a Swans supporters site, why would that be concerning?
    I would be concerned if the figure was higher than that from the Swans POV.
    Because Swans supportes make up the majority of AFL fans in Sydney at the moment.

What the AFL are hoping is that a fair % of Swans fans will buy a GSW ST so they can see AFL every week. Some (less than 10%) may but most will watch a game they really want to on Foxtel or go to the pub rather than pay their hard-earned on a plastic team.

Think the Swans know, after all their battles, that their fans won't turn so that aint an issue though the corporate dollar may be. In a way they are now a protected species anyway with a second team....

Think it's pretty clear, GWS will need to build their own supporter base. Even with the advantages of being first the Swans only just have a viable support now after nearly 30 years.

I voted in the "won't watch, don't care" category and it is really how I feel. Don't actively want them to fail but couldn't care if they do. EXCEPT, if they do fail it will be $200M down the gurgler that ould have been better invested elsewhere.

Gotta say though, geez it's going to be fun watching this circus unfold.

Being the cynical b@stard I am obviously am I am clearly in a no-lose situation here

I think I do want them to succeed. Everything I've seen and read suggests the AFL has done their homework on what went right with the Swans and the Bears and why what went wrong did go wrong. The AFL is prepared to back this club for 20 years, which is long enough to draw a supporter base from the Western Suburbs without really impinging on the Swans brand.

Compare that to the Melbourne Storm, which are making multi-million dollar losses every year despite playing in the last 4 Grand Finals, and the reluctance of the NRL to pour money into the franchise further. My understanding is that there is a small but growing voice suggesting a move of the Storm to the Central Coast entirely. The Club has been in existance 10 years and the support from HQ is waning. I can't see the AFL, flush with cash and vision, doing the same thing with GWS after a similar time period.
    10100111001 ;-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast