Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft talk for 2009

Draft talk for 2009

Well the silly season begins now and I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how we should approach this upcoming draft. We get pick 6 I think which is the highest we've had for a long time.

We have a pretty good midfield group already to take us into the future, do we need a couple more young mids to complete the puzzle or not?

White and Johnstone look like being the two we will proceed with in terms of tall forwards, so I don't think we need anymore of those. Maybe we could pick on up in the rookie draft as cover though.

Should be fine for rucks you would think.

Bit light on for young key defensive talent so perhaps this is a box we need to tick in the draft, although personally I think we should trade for rather than draft.

The main need is a small crumbing forward IMO. There's a boy from SA by the name of Tapscott who goes alright and is predicted to go in the top 20.

So for me, this is how I think we should approach this draft.

First pick: Small forward
    Second: Outside mid
    Third: Medium/tall defender

Any additional picks I'm not too bothered with, but I think this is how we should use the first 3.

What do you want to happen?

Veterans List
    Find a decent quick midfielder. Then again we have one in our midst and judging by his courageous back into a pack tonight he has the hardness too. His name is MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Find a decent quick midfielder. Then again we have one in our midst and judging by his courageous back into a pack tonight he has the hardness too. His name is MOD.
    We desperately need some more pace in the midfield. I'd be after a quick skillful midfielder first up, but a smaller crumbing forward is also an important area to look at. At least Grundy and White are beginning to show that their long term promise may turn into 2 quality afl footballers.

Midfield pace all the way.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Using our first pick for a small forward would be one of the worst decisions we could make. There's no shortage out there so why waste the best pick we've had since 2002?

The priority is the midfield - speed and skill. Pick 6 will guarantee this if we play it right.

We do need a tall defender or two and if our drafting history is anything to go by we'll use a late pick or use the rookie draft.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Sorry to be hard nosed but I think we must pick ANY player who is DEFINITELY going to be at least very good....ie no lightly framed players who "might" be brilliant....like Ray and McMahon and Fiora etc. With that pick we must be certain he will have the body, not hopeful....you can use a lower pick on a whippet.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

On the Rookie List
    Forward wise, White's progress this year has been fantastic, Goodes moving to CHF has brought great results and from what I hear (never seen him), Johnstone will be a player.

Defensively, Grundy has found a home, Bolton is still going strong, and my heart is in my moth less and less now when LRT gets the ball.

Quick, skillful mids should be top of our shopping list this year.

There will be a good number of tallish, quick and skilful midfielders at pick six this year, like Lucas, Dustin Martin and Rohan, and we are likely to be pretty happy with whichever one is taken. There are usually very good picks available at pick 22 as well. So I feel confident that we will add a few more quality young players to the list that already contains. Vez, Merredith, Johnston, Hanners. The key for us to to get these young guys fit and playing.

The biggest disappointment about 2009 was having so many injured youngsters. I do hope that Laidlaw and Schmidt are retained and get a chance to show what they can do (We already know that Schmidt is a good prospect).

I'm not too worried about the KPPs in both the forward line and defence, especially now that Grundy has settled in and White looks like he will be a very good Forward. I wouldn't be looking for a KPP until at least round 3. The main thing is skill and speed through the midfield. You can't get enough of that in the modern game.

Regular in the Side
    We've got pick 5 now at the moment ...

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    We've got pick 5 now at the moment ...
    Pick 6, because Melbourne will have a priority pick.

Regular in the Side
    Ah i was wondering about that ... thanks for clearing it up!!

On the rise
    First pick - just take the best player.

Our immediate need is quick, skilful midfielders who can win their own ball. Hopefully we have a couple coming through in Hannebery & Meredith.

But if we draft a KP player now, they might be ready to take over from Bolton/ Goodes when they retire.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast