Thread: Photos - Syd AFL Div 3 & 4 qualifying finals

Photos - Syd AFL Div 3 & 4 qualifying finals

I like it when I can just trundle down to Bruce Purser Oval to watch the footy. 10 minute drive beats the hell out of an hour to the SCG!!! (plus about $150 in tolls and parking).

I got there partway through the 3rd quarter in the 4th division game (all games were 1st vs 2nd, to go straight through to the grand final) between Sydney Uni and UNSW/ES. Sydney Uni won that one comfortably.

Good competitive game in 3rd division. UNSW/ES got the early jump on Nor-West, but the Jets clawed back to trail by only 2 goals at half time.

It was a pretty even 3rd quarter, I think 2 goals apiece. Unfortunately the 4th quarter started badly for the Jets, with playing coach and RWO forum member Pekay suffering a broken leg in a collision. Play had to be stopped for about 40 minutes for ambulance officers to stabilise the injury and take him safely to hospital. The Bulldogs kicked a goal immediately after play restarted, and were never headed from there. Jets stay alive to play a preliminary final next week.

Photo gallery here -> Syd AFL Div 3 and 4 Qualifying Finals 29/08/09

The surface was disappointing compared to the immaculate turf that I'd seen earlier in the year.

All the best pekay, hope you get better soon mate.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

I heard about the "long quarter" today when at Henson Park. Didn't know it was Pekay. All the best mate, hope the recovery goes well. Wondered why I didn't see him at Henson today.
    Seconds from the end of the 18's CC match at Henson, a Penrith lad went down and an ambulance had to be called with possible spinal injury. He was cleared of anything serious tonight, but it is very frightening. Thanks to the Manly Medic for his excellent assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
    The surface was disappointing compared to the immaculate turf that I'd seen earlier in the year.
    Visually the BPR surface has deteriorated, compared to what it was for the Swans v Bulldogs match in March. It is however still very true, flat and safe to play on. Pekay's unfortunate injury was, I understand, a result of a collision.

Council know the reason it has fallen away and confirmed actions are in place to fix it for 2010. The predominate turf is couch and it of course lies dormant in the winter and browns off. Hence a winter rye grass (for colour and substance) was seeded into it in Feb this year. However the method used to do so was not correct, hence the 'clumpy' appearance of what is currently there.

The entire oval is being totally re-seeded again and a $40,000 Triplex mower has been purchased to nurture and maintain it. Expectations are that it will return to what we saw in March and stay that way.
    www.eastcoasteagles.com.au

Yep - I was chatting to PK about it before the game and he said as much.

Agree that aside from visually, the ground still seemed nice and level for playing. Did not notice any unusual amount of tripping or slipping etc.

I suppose the powers that be were under pressure to deliver a nice looking surface for the practice game earlier in the year. Here's hoping the reseeding is done properly for next year

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    I heard about the "long quarter" today when at Henson Park. Didn't know it was Pekay. All the best mate, hope the recovery goes well. Wondered why I didn't see him at Henson today.
    Seconds from the end of the 18's CC match at Henson, a Penrith lad went down and an ambulance had to be called with possible spinal injury. He was cleared of anything serious tonight, but it is very frightening. Thanks to the Manly Medic for his excellent assistance.
    Glad to hear the kid was ok and thanks to Peter Kay who quickly made his physio and a neck colar available when asked.

Pekay's injury is not good however and will take him and long time to recover/rehabilitate from - Tibia and Fibia both broken, anterior and posterier ligaments have been ripped from the bone and all other ligaments in his knee are damaged.

Im sure all others here regardless of the banter from time to time would wish him well in his recovery.
    Last edited by tara; 31st August 2009 at 09:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Glad to hear the kid was ok and thanks to Peter Kay who quickly made his physio and a neck colar available when asked.

Pekay's injury is not good however and will take him and long time to recover/rehabilitate from - Tibia and Fibia both broken, anterior cruciate has been ripped from the bone and all other ligaments in his knee are damaged.

Im sure all others here regardless of the banter from time to time would wish him well in his recovery.
    Ouch, that sounds really nasty.
    I hope he recovers OK.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Everyone at the Nor-West Jets are still in shock at Pekay's horrific injury. As a hugely popular coach and the face of our club, we are all feeling for him and hope all goes well in his operation and he can get back to doing what he loves best, playing footy, at some stage in the future.
    One thing is for sure, you will be seeing an extremely committed effort for him and Jesse Pinder, who broke his collarbone in the last game against Holroyd-Parramatta, as well as all those players who have unlucky to miss out, for the remainder of the finals' series, starting this Sunday at Henson Park.
    Cheerz
    Brendan Rhodes
    Secretary,
    Nor-West Jets Football Club
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    Everyone at the Nor-West Jets are still in shock at Pekay's horrific injury. As a hugely popular coach and the face of our club, we are all feeling for him and hope all goes well in his operation and he can get back to doing what he loves best, playing footy, at some stage in the future.
    One thing is for sure, you will be seeing an extremely committed effort for him and Jesse Pinder, who broke his collarbone in the last game against Holroyd-Parramatta, as well as all those players who have unlucky to miss out, for the remainder of the finals' series, starting this Sunday at Henson Park.
    Cheerz
    Brendan Rhodes
    Secretary,
    Nor-West Jets Football Club
    Jesse Pinder or Jesse Bray?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Visually the BPR surface has deteriorated, compared to what it was for the Swans v Bulldogs match in March. It is however still very true, flat and safe to play on. Pekay's unfortunate injury was, I understand, a result of a collision.
    Looking at des' photos it looks as if it has improved quite a bit over the last month, my oldest had a game out there during July and there was hardly a blade of grass to be found. Was surprised to hear they were playing finals there but certainly looks a lot better now.

Sad to hear about that injury, sounds unbelievably bad. Trying to think of anything I've seen or heard that's worse. Nothing comes to mind that comes close.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Jesse Pinder or Jesse Bray?
    Same bloke. Just a name change during the season that we opted not to worry about changing until the end to save confusion.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!