Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MA Noble Stand Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Well said. Unfortunately, the SCG runs on a very different set of values to the MCG - the very English values of exclusion and privilege, rather than the Australian values of egalitarianism that define the MCG.

Actually, the SCG stands out like a sore thumb in this regard. In virtually every other major sporting stadium in the country - Homebush, the MCG, the Gabba, Subiaco, and Football Park - the members area is incoporated into the overall stadium design, not separated from it. But that's the mentality of the SCG Trust for you.
    I'm sure those buildings are on the State heritage list. If they are, the SCG Trust couldn't pull them down even if they wanted to.

What we should have done was set fire to them after the granny win in 2005 ... ala Cumberland Oval (Parramatta Thugby League) in the 80's.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side
    Any plan to bulldoze the Members Stand and Ladies Stand, both built in the 19th Century and both iconic features of the SCG, would bring to light more protesters out on Driver Avenue than the the 1970 Vietnam War Moratorium marches. And I will be first in line!

I thought this "let's bulldoze our heritage" attitude went out of fashion in the 1970's!
    Last edited by top40; 6th September 2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Any plan to bulldoze the Members Stand and Ladies Stand, both built in the 19th Century and both iconic features of the SCG, would bring to light more protesters out on Driver Avenue than the the 1970 Vietnam War Moratorium marches. And I will be first in line!

I thought this "let's bulldoze our heritage" attitude went out of fashion in the 1970's!
    If you read all the information provided by the media you will see that we are talking about the MA Noble and Brewongle, with the Ladies and Members specificaly kept separate as being not in the mix and the SCG Trust have already said they are sacrosanct anyway.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

So where were you when they bulldozed the old MCG Members Stand?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    So where were you when they bulldozed the old MCG Members Stand?
    Gee, you're pretty tough Cheer squad..Top 40 has made his/her feelings known about the SCG Members and Ladies stands. It's unreasonable to expect then at at every bulldozing you disapprove of!

Hoot Royboy, Hooottt!!!!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    If you read all the information provided by the media you will see that we are talking about the MA Noble and Brewongle, with the Ladies and Members specificaly kept separate as being not in the mix and the SCG Trust have already said they are sacrosanct anyway.
    I can't see any evidence that top40 hasn't read the information. I'm sure he is aware of what's happening, plans were released at least 6 months ago when a thread was started then as well..

He just happens not to agree with the two previous posters who suggested the SCG would be better off by bulldozing the Members/Ladies Stand and bringing them into line with the current modern architecture of the Brewongle etc. and future planned Noble/Bradman.

FWIW, I agree with him.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    FWIW, I agree with him.
    So do I.
    10100111001 ;-)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Must be a different Ladies Stand to what I remember: 19th century architecture, crap seating angles, poles obscuring the view at the top, players boxes obscuring the view at the bottom, smoke from the plebs out the back sucking on fags drifting across...

At least they have seen the light with the Noble and Bradman stands. The sooner the better IMO. Then onto the Members and Ladies stands.

The SCG trust really has to get over thinking that the SCG is some sort of sacred ground and modernise the whole place. The MCG is far more sacred to Australian sport and they didn't have a problem with it.

My contribution to this thread reflected the above comment and other supporting remarks.

Thanks to those you supported me here.

Yes, I am fully aware that the SCG Trust are planning to replace in the long term, the old MA Noble Stand,(completed in 1936 with subsequent improvements), the Bradman Stand (completed in 1973), the makeshift Messenger Stand, (completed 1984); and eventually, the O'Reilly Stand (completed in 1984). The former three are part of a stage two redevelopment, the latter O'Reilly stand redevelopment is part of a stage three redevelopment. These redevelopments are due to be completed by at least 2015. For the record, I am enthusiastic about such plans.

I am also fully aware that there are no plans by the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust to replace with the icons of the SCG, namely the
    19th century built Ladies Stand and Members Stand. They are magnificent examples of late Victorian sporting arena architecture. They give the SCG its signature. (Also, have a look at the background of painting of the Swans' team of the century from 2003)

My earlier response was simply a response to a reasonable perception that some people suggest the demise of these particular grand stands.

The comparison with the demolition of the old MCG Members Stand is a worthy argument which I respect. However, three points I make here. One, the MCG Stand was a 1927 construction, (much younger than the equivalent SCG stands). Two, it wasn't actually a great ?looker?, and didn't represent an icon of the Melbourne Cricket Ground. If anything, it was in my opinion an eyesore. Third, the ultimate decision to remove it was for the MCG to look like a modern 21st Century arena, primarily to appease the Commonwealth Games, but probably because of other future 'main events' in Melbourne. Sydney already has a 'main event' modern arena located at Homebush.

Finally, does anyone wish to see the SCG Members Stand and Ladies Stand demolished?
    Last edited by top40; 6th September 2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Gee, you're pretty tough Cheer squad..Top 40 has made his/her feelings known about the SCG Members and Ladies stands. It's unreasonable to expect then at at every bulldozing you disapprove of!
    When did I say that I disapproved of the bulldozing of the old MCG Members Stand?
    Last edited by Cheer Squad; 6th September 2009 at 11:07 PM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Finally, does anyone wish to see the SCG Members Stand and Ladies Stand demolished?
    No way! Although I now live in Melbourne I grew up with the SCG (watching Rugby League) and we used it on school sports day. No other modern ground I know has stands like these.
    What's more mrs d and I sat in the Ladies' Stand courtesy of one of our player's mums a few weeks ago (they met at the Ladies' Lunch down here) and it was a great experience. The facilities are good and there was the shortest beer queue I've ever been in. Yes, the poles were a nuisance on occasion but I'd happily sit there again.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I would have no problem whatsoever with both stands being demolished as part of a plan to redevelop the entire stadium. I'm quite sure there are plenty of talented architects who could do a wonderful job re-designing the whole venue and bring it into the 21st century.

As I said in my initial posting, the SCG runs on a very different set of values to the MCG - exclusion and privilege. The elitist snobs that run the Trust got away with it for a long time because there was no alternative venue in Sydney. How they must have hated the arrival of Homebush!
    Last edited by Cheer Squad; 6th September 2009 at 11:07 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast