Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Skilton Medal Night - Spoilers

GW ROK, at least the coaches rate his game
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Kieren Jack finished seventh! My impression is that he'll be lucky to finish in the first 15 in the TLM. Which indicates that while he's not generally flashy or in newspaper 'best' lists, the coaches are well pleased with him for consistently playing his role in the team. Good on you, young man.

Surprised to see McVeigh finish as low as 6th; I think his 2008 was somewhat overrated by the club, and his 2009 underrated. Perhaps the BSM rewards consistency more than brilliance, but McVeigh's really hurt opponents, and as a result been seriously tagged, in 2009 significantly more than in any previous year.

McVeigh missed a number of games this year with injuries, he only played 18, so it's not surprising he finished out of the Top 5.

FINAL VOTES
    1. Ryan O'Keefe 528 points
    2. Rhyce Shaw 453 points
    3. Brett Kirk 421 points
    4. Darren Jolly 415 points
    5. Adam Goodes 394 points
    6. Jarrad McVeigh 366 points
    7. Kieren Jack 346 points
    8. Martin Mattner 330 points
    9. Heath Grundy 318 points
    10. Jude Bolton 306 points

Grundy Top 10 finish!

Congratulations.

O'Keefe wins Sydney Swans' best and fairest - AFL.com.au
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think the one on that list who surprises me the most is Jude - how low he is, that is.

I thought he'd had his best season in a while, yet he's finished lower than in most recent years.

And while Craig B did drop off a bit after his fine start, I thought he'd still scrape into the top 10. Indeed, I thought both he and LRT had better seasons than Mattner.

Congrats to ROK. Vindication for a fine season.
    Last edited by liz; 12th September 2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo

Agree with you Liz about Jude being low. Thought he'd be higher, Bolton, McVeigh and LRT in the end were all hampered by the matches they missed, I think if they hadn't missed any they probably would all have been higher, plus Craig B didn't seem as confident when he returned from his knee injury, not sure if he was worried he'd reinjure it, etc.

On the Rookie List

ROK Wins the B&F

I knew it the moment I first saw him stroll around the SCG with his socks around his ankles,. What an engine , what a work rate , what a champion, and always with a smile.

Rino , soon to be the new spiritual leader

My first and last post for an otherwise forgettable season
    Roll on 2010
    Mr Roos knew what he was doing'
    John Longmire is taking it to an art form
    We dont know how lucky we are to be Swans supporters

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the one on that list who surprises me the most is Jude - how low he is, that is.

I thought he'd had his best season in a while, yet he's finished lower than in most recent years.
    Probably should have finished higher this year, but probably should have finished lower in other years.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

The whole night was like being in the middle of a theatrical performance. Different from previous years but it had its own mark.

Just as a bit of entertainment for those of you who were unable to make it.

. The setup was so well thought out. Red, with red lights, red curtains, stands of red gladdy's dotted about (and moved by request when the humungous screens were in play), and the table flowers this year were different. Bunches of red flowers for the tables, not the same on each one.

. The wine was oh so good, and the waite staff extremely enthusiastic about filling your glass and replacing the bottles! Even the water jugs were replenished without being asked.

. Menu - delectable crab mouse on the best collection of little bits I can remember - veal nut with asparagus, dutch carrots and a semolina thingy - fruit flan thingy.

. The inspired choice of Adam Spencer as MC kept the guys performing at their best in front of the microphone. A man born to the job.

. Entertaining moment with Jesse being unable to get himself into his suit coat with any degree of competency. He speaks well.

. Nick Smiff seemed a bit stunned to be up on stage, and not used to the limelight yet.

. Reg is never going to be a entertainer, but he is solid and I think pretty happy with his 'most improved' status.

. Adam Goodes as Players Player was very well received. He is a fine speaker, I see corporate or politics in the future. He has grown into his Club Captain status very well, and I withdraw any negative observations I have made in the past. I enjoyed listening to him speak. Like a statesman......am I overstating it? No, don't think so. He is a bit of class.

. They farewelled Barry Hall, who yes Virginia was there in the sharpest of quality suits. He was met with great affection by everyone, including all the players. His highlights tape was outstanding. He gave us everything and obviously regards us all with great affection. He is a class act and ultimately a gentleman, through and through.

. Fossy was also given a highlights which showed just how much I miss the man. He is still overseas and doesn't touch down until tomorrow! timing Fossy, timing. He must have been on October longweekend expectation.

. Roosy said they were not going to farewell Tadgh, yet......just enough to keep us gossipers high hopes, well, high!

. They highlighted Crouchy's contribution to the club, outside of playing. It was outstanding. Typical Crouchy. Heaps going on behind the scenes that he just gets on with. Apparently he took on the likes of Andrew D (can't remember what that was about - anyone?) !

. Leo is a funny man and a great cuddler. His highlight reel was a truly soaring one. He has great comic timing, like his marking. Had us roaring. He was almost crying. And don't tell me that its just "one week at a time". There are obviously some clubs they just love coming up against...and don't rate.

. Micky is a natural standup comedian, his timing and delivery is so entertaining, no wonder he is held up as the man who lights up the club when he is there. His highlights were frightenly good. Cried. He also made a "marriage proposal" to Emma, which had everyone cheering, but Adam Spencer announced that it wasn't a legal proposal......who cares, they are 'married' and Mick loves her. His view of his world is absolutely wonderful

. Third B&F Brett talked and talked. He is very easy to listen to and to watch. I think he is proud of himself and of us all.

. Second B&F Rhyce Shaw has finally won me over - not just as a player but as a character. "@@@@ Aye!" will probably go down in the annuls of CC Speeches as the making of his speaking career. He then went on to entertain us with his thanks and observations about the people and the Club. If they handed Collingwood back to him on a platter, I doubt he would entertain the notion. The man is a Swan from the inside now, not just the jumper he wears. Also, he is easy to chat to, he and Mal make a terrible twosome together. Oh and he has been voted in to the leadership group.

. At last, Peb, Rhyno, Ryan O'Keefe gets the accolades he deserves. He has also become a father this week, so he was flying and hasn't landed yet, and in 18 years time we have another father/son combo (I checked that with him, and he just beamed). He did the job the coaches asked him to do, and Roosy did say it took him a bit to get used to the new position. We may not have seen/rated everything he was doing, but the coaches did and rated him very highly. Mention was made that he looked to be traded, but that was the end of it the moment it was seen it wasn't going to happen. I don't think he is a natural public speaker, but he was a very very happy man.

. Big NOTE: Mike Pyke polled on I think 3 separate occasions, and above other teammates.....so if the coaches are happy....

After the last speech was made, they let us loose. It was a midnight start, much later than usual, for the photos and cuddles and etc. They are a very happy bunch of boys, some very shy, some boisterous (do I hear any nominations - can you possibly guess who I mean), some who were pretty pleased with themselves last year had different attitudes this year. More aware of what is required to be an elite player, perhaps a little less sure that it was a natural right. Mike Pyke is a surprisingly reserved man. He is also huge. Daniel Hannerbery is a bright spark and no he is not reserved, shy, on the rim. He is right in the mix. No wonder he slotted in so satisfactorily.

In general I found the boys generous, happy, crumpled, soberish and not so sober. It was a good night. And they are a good mob.
    Last edited by Primmy; 12th September 2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Forgot REG!!! Corrected some of the worst english.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Thanks Primmy ..not as good as being there but almost...good writing and creating of atmosphere.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Thanks Primmy ..not as good as being there but almost...good writing and creating of atmosphere.
    Thanks Satch; I have added a couple of bits more, its a bit of a read isn't it! Better start my day doing Saturday things now....
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Is it possible to bet on Club B&F's?

Gary Lyon let it slip at 7.12pm last night on MMM that ROK had won the Sydney Best and Fairest ahead of Shaw. The other guys were giving it to him for the next 5 minutes - you probably had to be there (or at least hear it) but it was very very funny.
    And the man who started it all, the Schneiderman . . . . .

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast