Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Umpires and their effect

bloodstainedangels Emerald Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    The Leo free/goal against was in '05. The end result wasn't too bad for us.
    That free against Leo was the worst decision I have ever seen. It cost us that match and therefore coud have cost us a premiership. Fortunatey, we were good enough and brave enough to eventually overcome it!
    "Notwithstanding the sight of all our miseries, which press upon us and take us by the throat, we have an instinct which we cannot repress, and which lifts us up." - Pascal

Opportunistic Join Date Bob Neil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Margie View Post
    Collingwood don't get much help from the umpires either. The two Tippet frees at the other end were dodgy and both resulted in goals.
    I nearly felt sorry for the Pies as I thought they were treated by the umps as Swans were in the R22 Lions game - frees were 12/2 around Q2, I believe. Just can't understand how one team infringes six times more than the other....

But Pies perservered, like Swans would have.
    And I would have felt sorry if they were any other team (except WCE & Power).

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Tadhg's hold looked worse than the Rutten arm hold. You'd suspect under the current interpretations the Eagles would have received a free kick had the umpire seen it.
    Pack mark vs one out on a lead...doubtful.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Yes umpires do have an effect on teams fortunes. As do a numerous amount of factors. When I hear interviews of teams that have won previous grand finals they always always say it comes down to a bit of LUCK

No umpire would pay a possible game winning free kick in the dying seconds of a Grand Final.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    No umpire would pay a possible game winning free kick in the dying seconds of a Grand Final.
    So if my team's up by a point with seconds to go, the ball is in the back pocket it means our players are allowed to grapple, hold, and punch the opposition? Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up fig!
    10100111001 ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12