Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umpires and their effect

On the Rookie List

Umpires and their effect

That free kick paid to Collingwood in the last minute got me thinking of the effect of one whistle on clubs futures,players futures etc. Neil Craig,instead of being a hero is under the spotlight.,Andy Otten who took the match saving mark is a devestated player,the Pies who were aweful have a crack at the Cup.

How has that same whistle changed the Swans history? I argue it cost us back to back in 2006 when that shocking free against Leo led to a goal and a narrow defeat and forced us to come through the hard way. We were buggered on GF day,we were minus the 100% effect of a couple and many carried injuries. This year,withour Barry Hall's 3 in a row 50 metres we might have got into the finals.The first two were nothing . I argue the Swans have been very hard done by in the past.The reason? I don't know but maybe no Sydney based AFL umpires?

Blog Entries
    The Leo free/goal against was in '05. The end result wasn't too bad for us.

Warming the Bench
    Well it all depends how you view it I guess.

Driving to the Eagles v Swans game in Perth during the 2006 season, we listened to talkback radio and were shocked to hear - without exaggeration - at least 80 percent of callers were talking about the 2005 GF's defining moment as being "that missed free kick", in reference to Sampi being held in the final marking contest.

So Eagles fans would argue that one whistle blow stopped THEM from being back to back premiers. Of course we know different

But it certainly was a one-eye-opening experience...

I believe this comes down to a parable along the lines of:

A man grabs the ball at the defensive 50-metre line and runs forward to his goal. 80,000 people gasp as he meets his opponent in a bruising tackle. 40,000 cry out "BALL!" and 40,000 cry "NECK!". The man in white blows his whistle and 80,000 crane to see his decision, and groan and sit back slumped as the umpire declares a bounce. They don't understand, for how can the umpire not see with two eyes what they all clearly see with one?

If the umpire sees a free kick, he's obliged to call it. I don't think there are vendettas against any clubs.
    10100111001 ;-)

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    ... They don't understand, for how can the umpire not see with two eyes what they all clearly see with one?
    If the umpire sees a free kick, he's obliged to call it. I don't think there are vendettas against any clubs.
    Nicely put Gnome. I don't think there are any vendettas, but there are probably some preconceptions.

[umpires thoughts]Surely xyz could have gotten the ball out then if he had a chance therefore he must have been tackled without prior opportunity[/umpires thoughts] Result ball up instead of holding the ball.

[umpires thoughts] It looks like Luke Ablett has the ball, he doesn't normally get the ball out, probably jumped on it again for another stoppage[/umpires thoughts] Result: NOG is pinged for holding the ball again.

Now I know some of you would be surprised that I can read the umpires minds, but it is a special power that I need to keep secret.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

The umpires have been the sole reason that the Swans didn't win the flag this year, last year, 2007, 2006, 2004 and the 50 odd years prior to that.

Disgusting.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

As I have said in the past when trying to explain the rules of the game. Anything the ump does against us is wrong, and anything in our favour is right. I mean there is not much else to explain is there! However I do explode when lumped with a dud work experience ump who hasn't got a clue and is a collingwood supporter.....mutter mutter grumble grumble and etc.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    That free kick paid to Collingwood in the last minute got me thinking of the effect of one whistle on clubs futures,players futures etc. Neil Craig,instead of being a hero is under the spotlight.,Andy Otten who took the match saving mark is a devestated player,the Pies who were aweful have a crack at the Cup.

How has that same whistle changed the Swans history? I argue it cost us back to back in 2006 when that shocking free against Leo led to a goal and a narrow defeat and forced us to come through the hard way. We were buggered on GF day,we were minus the 100% effect of a couple and many carried injuries. This year,withour Barry Hall's 3 in a row 50 metres we might have got into the finals.The first two were nothing . I argue the Swans have been very hard done by in the past.The reason? I don't know but maybe no Sydney based AFL umpires?
    Collingwood don't get much help from the umpires either. The two Tippet frees at the other end were dodgy and both resulted in goals.

It's difficult to blame just one incident. Adelaide got off to a good start, but Collingwood at one stage kicked 7 unanswered goals. It was always going to be a 50/50 game but the top 4 finishing teams in the Home and Away usually end up playing in the final 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post

Driving to the Eagles v Swans game in Perth during the 2006 season, we listened to talkback radio and were shocked to hear - without exaggeration - at least 80 percent of callers were talking about the 2005 GF's defining moment as being "that missed free kick", in reference to Sampi being held in the final marking contest.

So Eagles fans would argue that one whistle blow stopped THEM from being back to back premiers. Of course we know different

But it certainly was a one-eye-opening experience...
    Tadhg's hold looked worse than the Rutten arm hold. You'd suspect under the current interpretations the Eagles would have received a free kick had the umpire seen it.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Tadhg's hold looked worse than the Rutten arm hold. You'd suspect under the current interpretations the Eagles would have received a free kick had the umpire seen it.
    Definitely a jumper grab and probably did deserve a free, but no way was sampi going to mark it... stupid nonetheless by Tadhg
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Sampi would have missed the kick anyway........
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    Sampi would have missed the kick anyway........
    I saw the replay..he kicked into the man on the mark.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast