Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Grand Final - Sydney v West Coast

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Add to your pain and watch Fox Sports 1 now - Classic Grand Finals: 1996. Watch a young fresh faced lad named Michael O'Loughlin, see Paul Roos as a player, recoil in horror at Stewie Maxfield's hair, be amazed by Derek Kicketts gut and hate Wayne Carey all over again.
    Its an enjoyable game up until "that pass"

After that i turn it off.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I cannot get past David King taking out Craig O'Brien without throwing a massive tantrum. I have a self-imposed ban on watching 1996.
    The tension of that last quarter was too much in 2006. I was so upset. Don't think I can watch it.

Regular in the Side
    Geez the umpies really did us over with a couple of decisions at crucial points at the start of the 3rf quarter in 96 - where's that thread on umpies

Regular in the Side
    Trivia question.

South Melbourne/Sydney have competed in 9 Grand Finals since World War 1. Out of those 9 games, what was the Grand Final to which the Swans scored the least points?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    I cannot get past David King taking out Craig O'Brien without throwing a massive tantrum. I have a self-imposed ban on watching 1996.
    The tension of that last quarter was too much in 2006. I was so upset. Don't think I can watch it.
    Me Too!

It was possibly the most callous umpire neglect and denial of protection of a player going for the ball i have ever seen.To happen in a GF is unbelievable. The pass was a "hospital "pass..shocking foot skills by our greatest player ever,non the less the umpires must protect the head of players going for the ball . Craig O'brien,concussed or not would have put the free kick straight through for a goal and we would have got the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Trivia question.

South Melbourne/Sydney have competed in 9 Grand Finals since World War 1. Out of those 9 games, what was the Grand Final to which the Swans scored the least points?
    2005? Wouldn't surprise me.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    2005? Wouldn't surprise me.
    Correct. The greatest and sweetest Swans flag victory in 2005 represents the club's equal lowest score in 9 Grand Finals since 1918. On one other occasion, the losing 1935 team also scored 58 points, equal to the joyous 2005 winning team's final score.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The 2006 GF replay tonight segueways nicely into Thursday Night Live where Paul Roos will be a special guest. I'm sure the panel will be interested to see what he was up to in Ireland!

I just tried to watch the last fifteen minutes of the 2006 Granny. I have learned something about myself. I can't do it. Even now.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I just tried to watch the last fifteen minutes of the 2006 Granny. I have learned something about myself. I can't do it. Even now.
    I'm very proud of myself - I managed to watch it all from go to woe!
    The worst part is all the "if onlys".
    And it reminded me how much I miss Nick Davis....

Veteran Site Admin
    I can't bring myself to rewatch the error riddled first half of 2006 - it's possibly the worst half of footy the team played all season. But I can - and have - watched the second half up to around the point where Ted falls over out of sheer exhaustion. At that point I generally have to stop believing I am watching the alternative director's cut, the one with a different ending.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    It sounds strange, but I'm still fascinated by the last quarter of '06. I've watched it a couple of times and the parallels with '05 are freakish, down to the string of stalemates at the stoppages on the wing -- only the second time around it was the Eagles in lock-down mode and Doyle rucking against Cox -- even the last-ditch, desperate raid forward by the team that needed to score.

But I'm like Liz, I have no desire to watch the first half of that game. I only saw it the once -- live -- and it was, inexplicably, some of the worst footy we'd played in the preceding two seasons. I guess you appreciate just how hard it is to climb the mountain twice, even Geelong had an absolute shocker on GF day last year and they'd only lost one game for the season. The spirit of our blokes to pull themselves back when all looked lost... it's still a credit to them, IMO. But for mine, Brisbane's efforts at the beginning of the decade stand head and shoulders above the achievements of any team in the modern era.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast