Thread: SANFL Grand Final broadcast in Sydney

SANFL Grand Final broadcast in Sydney

SANFL Grand Final Sunday 4th Oct (ABCTV SA satellite coverage).

Central District v Sturt

Where:
    Rooftop bar of the Royal Exhibition Hotel, cnr Devonshire St and Chalmers St (20 second walk from Central Station)

royal exhibition hotel surry hills - Google Maps

When:
    Broadcast from 4pm (Sydney time)

Pushing for Selection
    Does anyone know who won?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Central District.

Well done to former Swan Andrew Hayes!

Pushing for Selection
    Thanks Ugg.
    Went and looked it up. Shouldn't have been so lazy.

For anyone who's interested.

"Central was too skilful and composed when it mattered against a young Sturt outfit, and dominated the first two terms before winning 13.14 (92) to 7.12 (54)."

This is Central Districts 8th premiership in a decade! How does that happen?
    Last edited by janem; 4th October 2009 at 10:55 PM.

Senior Player
    Disappointed my mob were never really in it. Couldn't convert a glut of possession and I50's in the 2nd q to goals and the Dogs were the exact opposite.

janem my theory on Centrals is that they've been able to build a very solid financial club on the back of fanstistic local support north of Adelaide with a fan base and sponsors that have a strong physical and logical seperation from the Crows and Power, whereas a number of the more "traditional" clubs have found it harder since the birth of the AFL.

Still a lot of strong support generally though.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Our old friend Ray McLean would take some credit for the turnaround.

Pushing for Selection
    Probably stating the obvious, just thinking out loud I guess.
    I imagine it is not like in the 70s when you had to live in the district to play for the team.
    Peter Motley played for the double blues and Stephen Kernahan for Glenelg both in the districts that they lived and went to school in.
    My brother ran around with the Sturt under 18s because we lived in the district.

If this was still the case there wouldn't be the domination from one team surely.

I wonder when all this changed? Did the VFL used to have the same policies? I guess with the birth of the AFL.
    I know Motley and Kernahan both went to Carlton. Were they traded back then or was there some other process in place?

This has probably gone off topic. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by janem View Post
    I imagine it is not like in the 70s when you had to live in the district to play for the team.
    Peter Motley played for the double blues and Stephen Kernahan for Glenelg both in the districts that they lived and went to school in.
    My brother ran around with the Sturt under 18s because we lived in the district.

If this was still the case there wouldn't be the domination from one team surely.
    Ummm, Sturt 1966 to 1970 (5 straight) and 7 in total from 1965 to 1976 (7/11); Port 1954 to 1959 (6 straight) and 9 in total from 1954 to 1965 (9/12; Port 9/12 from 88 to 99. The SANFL has often been dominated by one team over a number of years.

SANFL Summary Chart
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Quote Originally Posted by janem View Post

I wonder when all this changed? Did the VFL used to have the same policies? I guess with the birth of the AFL.
    I know Motley and Kernahan both went to Carlton. Were they traded back then or was there some other process in place?

This has probably gone off topic. Sorry.
    The districts are still in play from what i understand for SA based juniors. Centrals draw from The Barossa league which is very strong, i assume you can only recruit from interstate then, like any league i guess when you have a good recent record and good cash flow you will attract players easily
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...