Thread: Mike Pyke Cup to be played for this weekend

Pushing for Selection

Mike Pyke Cup to be played for this weekend

With the cult following that our Canadian import has attracted in his brief stay with the swans, I thought a few of you might be interested to know that the innaugural 'Mike Pyke Cup' will be contested this weekend in Toronto between the Quebec Saints and the Broadview Hawks ...

http://www.oafl.ca/news_article.php?news_id=83

The OAFL is pleased to announce that following the successful first year of the Division 2 competition, that from this point forward the clubs participating in the competition will be battling it out for the 'Mike Pyke' cup. The trohpy has been gifted in honour of Canada's first and only AFL representative who this year made his debut for the Sydney Swans.
    Last edited by wearebloods; 20th July 2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Reproduction of entire article

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Good news for the code. And we are pioneers there too. AFL House should be grateful.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Oh goody. I like Mike, can't help it. Nice to know he is being noticed in a positive manner back home. We will have a whole new legion of followers in Canada, and why not I ask! go Pykie!!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy#8 View Post
    With the cult following that our Canadian import has attracted in his brief stay with the swans, I thought a few of you might be interested to know that the innaugural 'Mike Pyke Cup' will be contested this weekend in Toronto between the Quebec Saints and the Broadview Hawks ...

http://www.oafl.ca/news_article.php?news_id=83
    Thanks for posting Rowdy #8. AWESOME!!!!!!
    I hope everyone plays with some tissue's up there nose.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Oh goody. I like Mike, can't help it. Nice to know he is being noticed in a positive manner back home. We will have a whole new legion of followers in Canada, and why not I ask! go Pykie!!
    Me too! Get so sick of all the negativity. Welcome to Australia! He has really tried so hard and IMO has been nothing but bagged by the media (and others) give the bloke a go. (While the rest are celebrating the end of the season he is out running marathons!) Hope he will be a stayer dispite the negativity.

On the Rookie List
    Great pickup on this article Rowdy #8. Thanks for posting.
    Didn't quite realise the development of the game in Ontario.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

and just to keep the Pyke dream alive, here's a quick vid of him doing good

YouTube - Mike Pyke's try Canada Vs. New Zealand

On the Rookie List
    What do they call it....Six degrees of separation? My daughter, who studies at ANU, sent me an email to say that a friend of hers, a Cameron Stark, who had lived in the same apartment block on campus, had posted on facebook that he had won the Best and Fairest for his club side. She sent me a link.

Well, I was amazed when I looked at the link. It turns out that Cameron Stark was the captain of the winning Saints team in the Mike Pyke Cup. He was also BOG in the Grand Final.

It seems he was an exchange student and had one year at ANU where he appears to have developed his interest in Aussie Rules.

Small world anyone?

Here's the link

Qu?bec Saints AFC
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Heh small world, I have a mate who plays for the Ottawa Swans lol