Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: (Jolly to Pies, Pick 14 & 46) If Jolly leaves, I'm gonna cry....

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Got to agree here.
    I'm not an advocate for getting him, but like it or not, the boy can play.....
    He certainly can - at times the term "genius" is deserved.
    Unfortunately he can also be a sulking petulant drag on the team, and I mean on the field. If we do pick him up I hope the powers that be include a solid disincentive clause in the contract.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Fair enough.

And I guess as many people hate the attitude that we should run to the salvation of every mature aged problem child, regardless of where they fit into the current scheme of things and at the expense of investment in the longer term playing list.

Different strokes, I guess.
    But whats the current Scheme and what expense? Only the club knows where they think we sit. I don't want to get Fev iether but I am not the club and I have know Idea where they think we sit or what there long term planing is!

Just to get back to the original Jolly theme of this thread...

I know it's not ideal, and realistically probably not workable, but couldn't we try having him live in Melbourne and commute to training and matches? Or relocate some of his needed family to Sydney (like we did with Mrs Rocca) - maybe rotating various family members as needed?

I mean if it's family issues, and we really know nothing about what they are, - and nor should we as it's private - the fact that he was willing to miss the 06 GF for the birth of his child if need be (rightly so IMO, but that's only an opinion) shows where his priorities lie. It would be easy seeing him walking away from the game for his family if need be (sad for Jolly, Sydney and the game).

We'd get better value from a good trade than having him commute.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jdow View Post
    But whats the current Scheme and what expense? Only the club knows where they think we sit. I don't want to get Fev iether but I am not the club and I have know Idea where they think we sit or what there long term planing is!
    Make your own assessment. Do you think a midfield which relies heavily on Bird, Jack, Meredith, Veszpremi, Hannebury, Smith, maybe even Kennedy if he comes is going to be well placed in the next 24 months to challenge the Geelong, St Kilda, Carlton, Western Bulldogs midfields? Most of them are barely more than boys and need time and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant turn right View Post
    I wonder if jolly's parents in law would be willing to move to sydney for a couple of years.
    LOL! Apparently his in-laws are massive WB fans.
    Kirky is everything you want in a Captain
    'To my band of brothers; we are a team of warriors' - Brett Kirk

Amon the Cannon!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Make your own assessment. Do you think a midfield which relies heavily on Bird, Jack, Meredith, Veszpremi, Hannebury, Smith, maybe even Kennedy if he comes is going to be well placed in the next 24 months to challenge the Geelong, St Kilda, Carlton, Western Bulldogs midfields? Most of them are barely more than boys and need time and experience.
    Couldn't agree more Liz, if we get pick 9 for Jolly we will be using our two top 10 picks in the draft on young midfielders who have good disposal and are physically ready to play at least some senior football in 2010 in Martin, Lucas or Cunnington.

No matter what the football world thinks, our list is not in a position for us to trade for Fev no matter how good he is. In both Hall's and Lockett's case we had sufficent talent and age spread to makes the trades, we are not in that position at present and I have faith the club knows that we are not capable of cashing in a first round pick for Fev.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Just to get back to the original Jolly theme of this thread...

I know it's not ideal, and realistically probably not workable, but couldn't we try having him live in Melbourne and commute to training and matches? Or relocate some of his needed family to Sydney (like we did with Mrs Rocca) - maybe rotating various family members as needed?

I mean if it's family issues, and we really know nothing about what they are, - and nor should we as it's private - the fact that he was willing to miss the 06 GF for the birth of his child if need be (rightly so IMO, but that's only an opinion) shows where his priorities lie. It would be easy seeing him walking away from the game for his family if need be (sad for Jolly, Sydney and the game).
    Reading between the lines goswannies, that really is not possible as it looks like Jolly needs to get to Melbourne fulltime to save his marraige.

Sad for the club and for Jolly himself, but if he wants to salvage his marraige he needs to get back to Melbourne and I think the club will do everything possible to help him do so. If that means slightly reducing what we get like pick 14 only then so be it, as their is a distinct possiblity he could just walk from the game.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

If there are marriage problems then that is very sad, and he is to be commended for wanting to put his marriage first & fight hard to save it (like any decent person should).

Sure it will be sad if he goes, but he has his life to lead, and he's putting his wife and kids first. If it means going back to Melbourne, and another club being able to accomodate his wish within the rules, then so be it.

Who's to say also that Mrs J has never really felt welcome up here - especially after the '06 grand final and the birth of their first child where everyone pretty much pointed the finger at her husband for not being totally "there" at the MCG on grandfinal day.(and lets face it most of us had a bit of a dig at the time & some had a go at her too)

as they say in the classics "A happy wife means a happy life!"

I say good luck to him in what ever he does.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

This morning's papers seem to say Geelong & C/wood are unable to keep under their salary cap. C/wood could not afford Ball and Jolly who from what I can see has not actually nominated C/wood

Geelong are having to consider giving up Mumford and Wojcinski

We are apparently offering Mumford 3 years / $900K, and 3 years to Kennedy

As another comment. C/wood have not had a good AFL ruckman since the era of Peter Moore and Len Thompson. Have no idea how to recruit them, only C/Wood would think Fraser is any good - and he gets smashed in the ruck.

Ruckman really come to the fore in Big games and GFs. Sean Rehn 97/ 98, Keating, Charman Mcdonald 01, 02, 03. Lade, Ball & Jolly - if Jolly had stood up 06 no doubt we would have one

Because they have never seen a good one, think most of their supporters have no idea what they do, seem to think they are another midfield link man

Who needs that from a big man

We supposedly have the best Ruck coach in the country (Steve Taubert) so I am confident we can turn one or two of these guys into top flight rucks
    Last edited by Reggi; 6th October 2009 at 07:57 AM.
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

There is also a hint that Jolls knows if they can't trade him, then he is contracted for another 2 years and he would probably stay. He is trying to get back to Vic. but if he can't get a deal done, then the option is to stay in Syd. Just like for Peb. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Hope it works out for everyone. It did of Peb, he just won the CC!!!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    We supposedly have the best Ruck coach in the country (Steve Taubert) so I am confident we can turn one or two of these guys into top flight rucks
    No arguements about it. Taubert is a God. Stafford is his only disappointment, and he was his first assignment. Goodes won a Brownlow under him, Ball went from a rucking forward to full-time ruck seamlessly, Jolly has flourished like anything, not to mention his work with Pyke to get his rucking to an AFL standard inside 6 months.

Is Taubert. Is Good.
    10100111001 ;-)

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast