Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tim Schmidt retires

Blog Entries

So he is pursuing a career in real estate. Must of lost some passion for footy.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Rotten luck for Tim and for us. I wish him all the best for his post-AFL life.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

good timing for hopping into real estate

start off in Manly is my tip............it just never stops going up !!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    So he is pursuing a career in real estate. Must of lost some passion for footy.

He has pretty much lost the last two seasons to knee injuries, and presumably he and/or the club and/or the medics have determined he's not going to recover sufficiently.

Big leap of guess work to presume he's lost the passion.

Tis certainly very sad news, and as ORB comments in another thread, the number of talented footballers who have lost their careers before they realy got going due to injuries is very sad indeed.

Regular in the Side
    Disappointing news. Those lucky enough to meet Tim will confirm that he is a really nice guy. Also had such potential to be a great midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    OMG ..we won't have a team left the way things are going. I might get a game.

P.s. That was a dreadfully written article..all overthe place like a mad woman's breakfast.
    Agree about the poor writing, with Ireland saying he's "supportive" of Tim leaving the club. (I already posted on the McCasey thread about that.)

Sorry to see another young one forced out by injuries. Good luck, Tim.

BTW I've already got you as an emergency on my Supercoach team Satch. It would have to be a real emergency though.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The positive side is it opens up another spot on the list.
    For 2009, I'm not sure that that's such a positive any more. We just have too many spots to fill (in what's purportedly a weak draft, but once you get past pick 60 I'd be surprised if there's any statistical difference between "strong" drafts and weak ones).

This on the face of it suggests that we have 4 spots to fill, but in fact it's at least 6 and as many as 9. That is to say, Schmidt and Kennelly are already listed in the 34; then 2 of Kirk, Goodes and JBolt can be 'outside veterans' (creating a 40-man list). Then there's the prospect of Playfair's hammie not coming up to speed, which would be the 9th senior vacancy.

Even if we upgrade both Pike and Thornton (is there any point upgrading Orreal or Gilchrist?), that will potentially leave us with 6 or 7 slots to fill. Even if we nab Bradshaw, that's likely to be just too many untested young players to add. (Maybe one of DOK or-- please-- Laidlaw might get to slip in through the side door again.)

We may well decide not to list any outside veterans for a reason that hadn't occurred to me before-- there is simply not enough talent available in 2009 to give us 40 senior list players worthy of the name, and we would rather keep our powder dry and have the option of expanding our squad in future years.

Awwww SHUCKS!!!!!

Timmy you were one of my favourites. All class. Make sure you show those grandkiddies your AAMI stadium magic!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Awwww SHUCKS!!!!!

Timmy you were one of my favourites. All class. Make sure you show those grandkiddies your AAMI stadium magic!
    Yeah, that was a cracker! Round 9, 2008, Port, AAMI.
    Last edited by Primmy; 21st October 2009 at 08:58 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I guess his body is just not going to cooperate.
    Agree great shame this young man is lost..but I suppose you could say his body is now going 'corporate'....
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

That is a real pity.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast