Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Draw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I have a dream that one day there will be one season where Collingwood will have to travel to Perth & Adelaide, twice, Brisvegas, Sydney, Manuka & Aurora once.

having said that - I have a much better chance of marrying George Clooney than that ever happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    My dream involves them travelling to Perth, Adelaide, Sydney all twice, Brisbane, Carrara, Manuka, Darwin and Launceston.

It makes me warm inside, even if it will never happen.
    Would these towns want Pies fans in there city more than once, if at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Would these towns want Pies fans in there city more than once, if at all?
    stiff - if every other team has to travel then so do the pies!!!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    stiff - if every other team has to travel then so do the pies!!!
    Sorry, I'm with Scott. Sydney might be big enough to deal with Pies fans, and at least we've got Lowes to keep them occupied during daylight hours.

I don't think we need infestations of them breaking out all over the nation! It'd be like swine flu but without the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Sorry, I'm with Scott. Sydney might be big enough to deal with Pies fans, and at least we've got Lowes to keep them occupied during daylight hours.

I don't think we need infestations of them breaking out all over the nation! It'd be like swine flu but without the cure.

As for the draw, looks pretty good to me. Can't wait for season '10. Only got to a couple of games this year as I missed most of the season, and fingers crossed I will graduate in December (Just 3 crappy exams stand between me and graduating lol), so it will mean next year no limitations due to uni on what games I can go to!!! It looks our best draw for a few years, and the Ferals and Adelaide only once each sounds good to me as well.

Warming the Bench
    Why do we always get Geelong at "Skilled"? I refuse to go there!!
    Last weekend in Sept 05 - The best weekend of my life!

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    'Skilled' became a 'no go zone' for our family this year. My dad (now 80) and son both refused to go. My dad has dickie knees and being stuck in those crappy seats he needed to give them a stretch. He went and stood on the concourse and was told to move. He protested that he wasn't blocking anyone's way and they said they knew that but he was blocking the advertising. My son has an intellectual disability and is very perceptive about people and which ones make him feel uncomfortable and the last two visits to Skilled have made him very uneasy. Cats supporters are more aggro when they win than lose. As far as I'm concerned, I won't go anymore because it hasn't mattered what price we paid for tickets we've been put in the same row and almost the same seats the last three years.

If we don't make the 8 in 2010, I'll be disappointed.

Solution to Collingwood

I think I have a solution to Collingwood getting such favourable draws, year after year.

They get "blockbusters" at big (ie Victorian) venues, "because they draw big crowds".

Generally, anyone who doesn't support them, hates them.

Not everyone who attends Collingwood's block busters supports the Maggies. Some must barrack for the opposition.

How about, rather than complaining about Collingwood's fixture "good fortune" every year, all non-Collingwood fans boycott every Collingwood game played in Victoria. Their attendances would be down, giving no compulsion for the AFL to allow them to play the majority of their games in Victoria. Better still, attend Collingwood games outside Victoria to ensure that they get sell outs. This will give a more compelling argument to force the Maggies to travel in future fixtures.

Can't afford the plane fare and accomodation to make this plan work? Maybe fund-raise to buy tickets at non-Victorian Collingwood games (making it a sellout) and give the tickets away (along with a Swans scarf & cap) to people in that state. Puts bottoms on seats (= sellout) and hopefully converts potential football fans to the Swans bandwagon.

P.S. suggestion not to be taken seriously

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    P.S. suggestion not to be taken seriously
    Phew, I thought you'd really lost the plot for a moment.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    Does seem a little tough: its now five seasons straight down to the Cattery. However from 2001 to 2005 the Swans only played at Kardinia Park just once (2004) in five seasons. So I suppose it all evens up.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    The draw looks good - except for the start. But if we got a win in R1 or R2 confidence would be high. Especially R1!
    Yeah the first two rounds are pretty tough.

However I think the Swans have a great chance of beating St Kilda in Round 1. First, they play at home, at a venue the Saints have played just once, (in 2007), to which Sydney won. Second, Sydney will have the distinct advantage of having an extra month's training behind them.

And even if Sydney find themselves zero and two, history says don't dispair. The reality is that in relation to Sydney's best four seasons in the past 65 odd years, they got off to some shockers:

-1996 Grand Finalists: Were 0-2 after Round 2 after being thrashed by Adelaide and comfortably beaten at home by the Dockers. In their Round 4 against Richmond, they were down at 3/4 time by 21 points, facing a likely 1-3 scenerio.

-2003 Preliminary Finalists: Were 1-3 after Round 4, and 20 points down against Melbourne at 3/4 time in Round 5, facing a likely 1-4 scenerio.

-2005 Premiers: Were 2-4 after Round 6, and 16 points down against Essendon at 3/4 time in Round 7, facing a likely 2-5 scenerio.

-2006 Grand Finalists: Were 1-3 after Round 4.

By contrast, in the only 3 occasions in the past 14 seasons that the Swans have failed to make the Finals, they got off to good or reasonable beginnings:

-2000: Were 3-0 after Round 3.

-2002: Had only lost two games after Round 6

-2009: A steady 5-4 after Round 9.

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    Last year Roos made comments along the lines of - if the swans don't do well ie make the finals, it's a problem for the code as a whole. I think the AFL have responded with this draw.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast