Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future for Luke Ablett

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Sheeze!!!! He carried a shoulder injury for much of 2009 and its not right yet even after surgery. He didn't play at his best this year, but there is a reason for it!!!
    He hasn't improved one iota in the four seasons since our premiership year so I hardly think the injury excuse is valid.

Having said that I'm all in favour of retaining him on a 1 year contract as a depth player

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought the club had already announced that Thornton has been promoted and that Pyke has been retained on the rookie list.

I do believe, however, that an additional list spot has to be cleared for us to use pick 54, before we even get to pick 55. That might be Playfair, though his situation hasn't been publicly clarified. It might be Kennelly, if he doesn't return. Or it could be cleared by moving Goodes or Kirk to outside veteran status.

Indeed Liz you correctly point out all the various permutations involved here. The only real certainty appears to be that Roos is saying that the last pick (if you discount Bradshaw via the PSD) is draft pick 5 or Luke Ablett.

Future for Luke Ablett ... bleak!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Warming the Bench
    I feel a bit disappointed for him, but I don't think the club is doing anything wrong by him. If Roos is to be believed, and I've no reason to doubt him, Ablett knows fair and square where he is at and has the opportunity to look elsewhere.

Personally, I hope that he is seen as a better prospect than the draft pick, is retained by the club and proves the decision a worthwhile one....

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    I feel a bit disappointed for him, but I don't think the club is doing anything wrong by him. If Roos is to be believed, and I've no reason to doubt him, Ablett knows fair and square where he is at and has the opportunity to look elsewhere.

Personally, I hope that he is seen as a better prospect than the draft pick, is retained by the club and proves the decision a worthwhile one....
    I reckon you are right and probably Luke realises this is his best chance of playing AFL at the highest level again. There was a time(can u remember?) when he was a hotter prospect than Mc Veigh who many on here were bagging. Mc Veigh turned it all around..lets hope Luke can too so he ceases to be a whipping boy here.Clearly one thing stands out already about the 2010 Swans! there will be fierce competition for spots in the team! that can only be GOOD!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    I reckon you are right and probably Luke realises this is his best chance of playing AFL at the highest level again. There was a time(can u remember?) when he was a hotter prospect than Mc Veigh who many on here were bagging. Mc Veigh turned it all around..lets hope Luke can too so he ceases to be a whipping boy here.Clearly one thing stands out already about the 2010 Swans! there will be fierce competition for spots in the team! that can only be GOOD!
    I don't know if some enthusiatic posting on RWO counts as "a hotter prospect than McVeigh".

Regular in the Side
    Then again the bagging of McVeigh was pretty bad. Even Playfair was a hotter prospect compared to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Sheeze!!!! He carried a shoulder injury for much of 2009 and its not right yet even after surgery. He didn't play at his best this year, but there is a reason for it!!! MickyO didn't play at his best over the years either but I didn't see any elephant guns being primed to remove him from the list, nor did he engender this much disrespect! NOG has worked hard to be where he is on the list, he respected from within the club, and deserves a bit of respect from us as well. He may not play on, but he has been part of this club for some seven years and he has put his heart and soul into being the best he can be. He may be a cortina, but he has been our cortina.
    Hi Primmy, you appear to be a very loyal & passionate supporter and I take my hat off to you.

However, I don't understand why you believe the posters on this thread have engendered disrepect to Luke.

There has not been one message which has disrepected Luke as a person or his character.

The posts have all been realisitic and are comments on his future prospects at the club. Nothing wrong with that.

The club seems to be stringing him along to 'see how they feel' at a later date.
    Pretty rough.
    Either dump him or commit him to another season.

Interesting last paragraph in that article.
    After the Fevola stuff, it seems that Roos is dead set on drafting Luke Ball
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

On the veteran's list
    People seem to forget the contribution Noggy made to our 2005 victory. Had his pass in the backline NOT found its way to Ben Cousins we cannot be sure that we would have still won that flag. I am forever grateful that his intended target was missed. I am just as grateful in hindsight for MOL's yips in the last quarter.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

I think he's been stiffed, and it shows that the Swans have some issues regarding player management. If the club doesn't see a role for him in the future, then he should have been offered up during trade week. Despite a late start to the season, his last few games of 09 seemed solid compared to what he'd been able to contribute due to injury. I can't believe that some folks here would prefer to see him delisted over the likes of Playfair FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Coach View Post
    I think he's been stiffed, and it shows that the Swans have some issues regarding player management. If the club doesn't see a role for him in the future, then he should have been offered up during trade week. Despite a late start to the season, his last few games of 09 seemed solid compared to what he'd been able to contribute due to injury. I can't believe that some folks here would prefer to see him delisted over the likes of Playfair FFS.
    What!

He was offered up for trade in trade week by virtue of no contract being offered before the week started, but he/we received no offers.

Hence he has remained on the list and we are now assessing whether we offer him a new contract or use pick 55 on a kid.

It baffles me how people on this site don't understand the rules regarding the draft or contract renewals. We have been up front with Ablett from the start, allowed him to continue to train with us, offered him as a trade and given due consideration as to whether we will offer him another deal without some knee jerk reaction and de-listing.

Saying all that, on basis that he can get the body right I would think a new contract offer for a year would be better for us at this stage than going with pick 55 in a weak draft, unless they have a mature age smookie they are keen on ala that Ranga from Western Victoria we had in 2005.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast