Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interchangeabilty of Swans Backs

Interchangeabilty of Swans Backs

Our back line will have more interchanges this year than any other club! (This is my prediction - or my hope - wait and see!)

With Tadhg, Shaw, Mattner, Grundy, Malceski, C. Bolton, Smith, Richards, Bevan and LRT ETC, rotating through this position. (Maining off the half backline)

The ball carrier breaking the defensive lines. I introduce the running back. (probably already called that) Get the ball run, bounce and handball all over the place into / towards our forward line.. Interchange after your run...

We play an 8 member backline, 6 on the ground and 2 on the interchange, interchanging often.

Lot to like for 2010.

Rod_

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    I think bevan will really struggle to get a game in this back line.

The runners are set with Shaw, Kennelly, Malceski, Mattner.

Our talls are Richards, Bolton, LRT and maybe Grundy depending on where he plays.

Our bulldog is Smith. That's 9 there. 9 doesn't go into 6 very well. Even counting on a cple of interchange players, I can't see Bevan cracking that top flight of defenders.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Our back line will have more interchanges this year than any other club! (This is my prediction - or my hope - wait and see!)

With Tadhg, Shaw, Mattner, Grundy, Malceski, C. Bolton, Smith, Richards, Bevan and LRT ETC, rotating through this position. (Maining off the half backline)

The ball carrier breaking the defensive lines. I introduce the running back. (probably already called that) Get the ball run, bounce and handball all over the place into / towards our forward line.. Interchange after your run...

We play an 8 member backline, 6 on the ground and 2 on the interchange, interchanging often.

Lot to like for 2010.

Rod_
    Given our game plan, I expect to see all of those on the field at once.

It means that a few of them will get a run through the midfield. Roos has spoken about mattner adding some pace into the midfield and he could also do some tagging ditto for shaw. Nick Smith is also perfect for midfield rotations. Malcho can also probably rotate through the half forward line or wing aswell using his kicking as a weapon. It makes for an extremely flexible team having so many rotatable players.

On the Rookie List
    Full backs: Smith Bolton Grundy Bevan
    Half backs: Mattner LRT Kennelly Richards

Wings: Malceski and Shaw
    Onwards to Victory!

Looking at this makes me think that recruitment of a backline player is probably not likely unless he is outstanding.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Looking at this makes me think that recruitment of a backline player is probably not likely unless he is outstanding.
    We have a plethora of HBFer types (including the very young and unproven Heath and Gilchrist) but little depth in key defenders and nothing in the nursery for when Bolton departs. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of future potential key defenders drafted- Talia may be in the mix for one of the early picks but there are also a handful of rougher types who could be around for 38, 54 or 55 (including one who sounds very enticing because his name is Luff!)

we picked up the young irishman 20yrs old who is a 191cm tall but extremely mobile defender from all reports and if that comes off we will be more than happy..........McKaigue is his name but is more an attacking defender so they say !

He is also the older brother of a very exciting young star Karl McKaigue from all reports

Sydney Swans recruit Chris McKaigue from Ireland - AFL Blog - ContestedFooty

Swans contract news - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

obviously though replacing Bolton will be a challenge and we may have to trade in a mature player like we did with Craig some years ago.........

Grundy probably is the best chance at his build and height internally in the club........but we can certainly rotate Ted Richards in that part of the field for short periods

despite my arguments with a few on the forum re Josh Kennedy potentially playing in the backs in teh future.......i still feel when you have a strong 190cm mobile player like Josh who attacking is not his forte there is merit in developing Kennedy into a KP back........Leo Barry from forwards to being a very dominant back the remainder of his career was a pearl !

plus the biggest thing is we have a stack of young midfielders coming thru ie Hannebery could could cement a midfield spot in 2010 or 2011 such was his ease at 17 cruizing into Seniors

We already have Kirk, ROK, Jack, McVeigh, Bolton, Bird, Smithy, Hannebery, Mal? etc etc
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 13th November 2009 at 11:35 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Richards, Grundy, Barlow

Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 21st November 2009 at 08:17 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Vespa is also being flagged as a possible defender, so unless there are a plethora of injuries, I would of thought Bevo's best chance of a game will be in a forward pocket chasing and tackling his heart out. He's also got a happy knack of scoring opportunist goals.
    Also Mike Pyke may get some gametime down back in the 2's to see if he may be a future option as a tall defender.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    I think bevan will really struggle to get a game in this back line.

The runners are set with Shaw, Kennelly, Malceski, Mattner.

Our talls are Richards, Bolton, LRT and maybe Grundy depending on where he plays.

Our bulldog is Smith. That's 9 there. 9 doesn't go into 6 very well. Even counting on a cple of interchange players, I can't see Bevan cracking that top flight of defenders.
    It was proven (with the disappearance of connolly) that Bevan's best chance of contributing to the team was taken by Nick Smith at the end of last year. He put in impressive performances week after week and has probably accidently cemented his spot in the team as a small defender.

No room for Bevan.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

I like the idea of Vespa in the backline. He would have to run and run, and with his inate tendency to put on a show that may be a very good placement. Could be an issue if he doesn't learn to let go of the ball and let someone else play.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast