Thread: Could Pat move down back?

On the Rookie List

Could Pat move down back?

Could Pat move down back?

He began his AFL career as a lively forward but the 2010 season could see Patrick Veszpremi going back ? literally...

Veterans List
    He could, but who will be displaced out of the backs and where will they go?Mattner, Shaw, Malceski, Kennelly, Smith?

Vez has a bit of X factor about him so I'd like to see him stay within range of goals, just love the goal celebrations.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Nah.... Let's turn him into another shutdown tagger...... I for one have had enough of these fancy players trying to bust tackles, break the lines, play on at all costs, burst through the centre square, goal kicking types. Someone who smother's his opponent will do fine...

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Nah.... Let's turn him into another shutdown tagger...... I for one have had enough of these fancy players trying to bust tackles, break the lines, play on at all costs, burst through the centre square, goal kicking types. Someone who smother's his opponent will do fine...
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo!

Paul Roos for PM

On the Rookie List

no room

Simply no room in the backs. Who would you displace? Most of our 2010 teams don't include Bevan but you can be pretty sure Roosey will pick him.
    So Bevan,Mattner,Kennelly,Shaw,Grundy Bolton,LRT,Smith,Malceski make 9 players for 6 positions.If you move these guys up to the centre what do you do with Bird,Hanneberry? Standing room only on the Swans bus this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Simply no room in the backs. Who would you displace? Most of our 2010 teams don't include Bevan but you can be pretty sure Roosey will pick him.
    So Bevan,Mattner,Kennelly,Shaw,Grundy Bolton,LRT,Smith,Malceski make 9 players for 6 positions.If you move these guys up to the centre what do you do with Bird,Hanneberry? Standing room only on the Swans bus this year!
    And isn't that a fantastiic position to be in........

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    And isn't that a fantastiic position to be in........
    I can't remember a better time preseason! How can you not be optimistic? Now 2 first round picks in the draft to top it off. Sydney Swans recruiting staff are a cut above everybody else in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    I can't remember a better time preseason! How can you not be optimistic? Now 2 first round picks in the draft to top it off. Sydney Swans recruiting staff are a cut above everybody else in the competition.
    It seems rather ironic that you have come out with this statement, when for the past few years posters here and on BF website, along with the "experts" in the media, (print, radio & tv) have been bagging the Swans recruiting staff during Paul Roos's reign.

I don't profess to have the knowledge or experience with recruitment and have just relied on Roos & co in their decision making. At the end of the day we are all wiser after the event. Let's hope that this year the recruiting staff are a cut above everyone else.

Just a byline, is it my imagination or has this year been extraordinary with the number of retirements, de-listings and transfers with all the AFL clubs. Is this player movement as a direct consequence of the new teams coming into the competetion?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Just a byline, is it my imagination or has this year been extraordinary with the number of retirements, de-listings and transfers with all the AFL clubs. Is this player movement as a direct consequence of the new teams coming into the competetion?
    I think a lot of it has to do with the AFLPA's stance on free movement of players. After Trade Week 2008 their voice carried a lot of weight owing to the many roadblocks and stalls that had stopped trades going through. The AFL's response (and what they have encouraged the clubs to do) has seen a lot more player movement this time around. If we'd had a repeat of 2008 the chorus for free movement would have grown louder, but by mediating a successful trade week, including rule changes to help the medicine go down, the AFL seems to have doused those voices - for now.

Delistments could have something to do with the new clubs and compromised drafts, but maybe it's just one of those years.
    10100111001 ;-)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with the AFLPA's stance on free movement of players. After Trade Week 2008 their voice carried a lot of weight owing to the many roadblocks and stalls that had stopped trades going through. The AFL's response (and what they have encouraged the clubs to do) has seen a lot more player movement this time around. If we'd had a repeat of 2008 the chorus for free movement would have grown louder, but by mediating a successful trade week, including rule changes to help the medicine go down, the AFL seems to have doused those voices - for now. ...
    If so, an interesting approach by the AFL: work within the existing rules.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    If so, an interesting approach by the AFL: work within the existing rules.
    They did make a couple of new ones to boot though. A lot of trades this year went through on the pretext of swapping draft picks later if the opportunity existed; prior to this year clubs could not trade draft picks unless players were involved.
    10100111001 ;-)

vez to remain a flashy forward

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    He could, but who will be displaced out of the backs and where will they go?Mattner, Shaw, Malceski, Kennelly, Smith?

Vez has a bit of X factor about him so I'd like to see him stay within range of goals, just love the goal celebrations.
    Vezpa to stay where he is. He is more valuable to the team in the forward line, geeing up the players and crowd with his style of play. This has been missing from our team too often since davo left the scene. Thus i hope to see both vespa and rohan turning heads next year in the forward line.