Thread: Hannebery rising to the top

Hannebery rising to the top

I have been a little hesitant in my prediction of Dan being a starting 18 player but this kid is a pheonix on the rise !!.........I think he has the skill it was just fitness over a game that worried me........worry me not now !!

top 5 in both events recently

Third in the 1km time trial and 2nd in the Biathlon

I wonder what times they are doing on the 1km ?? The old sub 3min 1km dash always gets the heart and lungs pumping !

Go my son !!

Biathlon a White-wash - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

Barlow wins time trial - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    IIRC he was coming in the top handful a year ago, barely out of the draft. So it is hardly "news" that he has good endurance.

Still not quite the same thing as being able to last out a substantial proportion of two hours, with many changes in intensity in running all the time while being buffeted by older and stronger bodies.

Anyone that saw him play last year doesn't need to be told he is a very promising prospect and the signs are good for a few years time. That doesn't necessarily mean that come round 1 2010 he will be able to play significant minutes in a key midfield role, nor that he will definitively be ahead of others he'll be competing with for one of the last few spots in the team.

yep hence the tentative but unless Shaw pushes up on to the wing I would have Hannebery up on one of teh wings with McVeigh on the other

add to that Hannebery at 17yrs of age ran 10:03mins to win the 3km draft event in 2008........

c'mon Liz ive been dieing to see your team for 2010 ??

midfield ?

HF flanks?

C'mon !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That doesn't necessarily mean that come round 1 2010 he will be able to play significant minutes in a key midfield role, nor that he will definitively be ahead of others he'll be competing with for one of the last few spots in the team.
    In my book he is already ahead of the others. In addition to a good motor and clean hands, he has the elusive quality called "footy smarts" that blokes like Bevan and LRT can only dream about. Why else would he have been dragged up from Melbourne to play firsts when still at school. Endurance level will just dictate the amount of game time he gets and the postion he plays. Provided Hanners keeps his head down and bum up he's a lock in for the starting 22.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
    In my book he is already ahead of the others. In addition to a good motor and clean hands, he has the elusive quality called "footy smarts" that blokes like Bevan and LRT can only dream about. Why else would he have been dragged up from Melbourne to play firsts when still at school. Endurance level will just dictate the amount of game time he gets and the postion he plays. Provided Hanners keeps his head down and bum up he's a lock in for the starting 22.
    He's not competing with LRT for a spot. He is competing with the likes of Kennedy, Jack, McGlynn, Bird, Veszpremi, Meredith, Jetta, Barlow, Shaw, Mattner, Malceski, probably Bevan and Moore, maybe Smith, maybe MOD and possibly some others I've forgotten - ie all players who aren't in the first onball rotations but all could have some kind of midfield role to play during the season, whether as "relief" onballers or as outside runners.

I don't believe it is a foregone conclusion that at the start of 2010 he will be ahead of sufficient of those to gain a spot in the team, especially since many of them are older, stronger, more experienced and have more pre-seasons in them. I'm not arguing it's unlikely he'll be in the team - just not a certainty.