Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moller To Lead Blues In 2010

How fortunate that Campbelltown has juniors from another club's area to poach then.

It sounds like Campbelltown needs to start trying to work on rebuilding the local junior base. It is not a good situation that a Premier Division club cannot field an Under 18s side from local juniors. Certainly they shouldn't have to go into another club's area to do it.

This has been happening in Sydney footy for years and years. Our club (Penrith) lose at least half a dozen of the best junior players going around every year. A. Richardson (Pen Hills), M Egan (Syd Uni) as well as scholarship holders with Collingwood and Carlton just last year. It is a really frustrating situation....

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    How fortunate that Campbelltown has juniors from another club's area to poach then.

It sounds like Campbelltown needs to start trying to work on rebuilding the local junior base. It is not a good situation that a Premier Division club cannot field an Under 18s side from local juniors. Certainly they shouldn't have to go into another club's area to do it.

Are you for real mate? We have always had an 18s and have never poached players. We didnt ask for a pathway to be put in but if thats the rules you nominate the best thirty in the area. All it means is if the kids want to play premier div they play for us or they play lower divs for whoever they want. I suggest you get your facts straight before opening your unimformed gob
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

Quote Originally Posted by Tubzy View Post

This has been happening in Sydney footy for years and years. Our club (Penrith) lose at least half a dozen of the best junior players going around every year. A. Richardson (Pen Hills), M Egan (Syd Uni) as well as scholarship holders with Collingwood and Carlton just last year. It is a really frustrating situation....

No diff for us, we lost 4 last year
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

Quote Originally Posted by Pace To Burn View Post
    [/B]

Are you for real mate? We have always had an 18s and have never poached players. We didnt ask for a pathway to be put in but if thats the rules you nominate the best thirty in the area. All it means is if the kids want to play premier div they play for us or they play lower divs for whoever they want. I suggest you get your facts straight before opening your unimformed gob
    Agree and well put.

Warming the Bench
    [/B]
    Please read the post that I quoted when I posted. In that it gave the impression that junior numbers locally for Campbelltown had dwindled substantially, which implied to me that the club had some sort of need to go outside its immediate area to put together an Under 18s squad. In addition to that, another poster said that over half the 30 players nominated were from the Penrith/Blue Mountains/Emu Plains area, so I was just going from what I read from some of the "informed" posters here.

I am fully aware that Campbelltown has had an Under 18s side for many years. What is so different this year however that the club needs to nominate over half its Under 18 squad from outside its local area? (Which was the basis of the original question in this thread).

Is it lack of local numbers as the post I quoted suggested? Or is the club just taking the easy option of picking up talent from outside its immediate area, rather than working to put together a squad from local juniors? Do you not have sufficient talent in your immediate area to nominate a squad - or at the very least the majority of the squad?
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 15th January 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Agree and well put.
    So if this was all part of the pathway arrangements, you don't now suspect this was a "raid on the west" then?

Warming the Bench
    Lower division clubs are always going to lose some of their best juniors to the Premier Division clubs.

I am sure that Penrith aren't alone in that regard. And the players should be allowed to go with the club's best wishes.

I was simply surprised that so many of Campbelltown's nominated 30 came from outside of its immediate area.

It is not overly complimentary to the juniors situation in that area.

After reading what PTB had to say, I can see the reasoning. I don't know a lot about the Soth West kids and I guess that Campbelltown consider that the kids from the Nepean area are better prospects. It just surprised me at first. Might seem like a backflip but I will have taken into account that Town won't enforce the rules and make any kid who doesn't want to play Premier for whatever reason and release them to their local lower divison club.
    I have always agreed with the new zoning laws. Any kid from out here that wants to play Premier Div goes with my best wishes, as long as it the the Premier Div club they are zoned under.

[/B]

No diff for us, we lost 4 last year
    I know mate, it's just a @@@@ty situation because you think to yourself that if we (Penrith) had been able to keep all our talented players throughout the years, we would be a competitive side in Prem Div of Div 1 (big call I know, but if you saw the list of players from our region, you'd understand).

On another note mate, how's the feeling in your club Pace about your ressies playing in Div 3 this season? Massive jump in standard for your fringe senior grade players??

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    After reading what PTB had to say, I can see the reasoning. I don't know a lot about the Soth West kids and I guess that Campbelltown consider that the kids from the Nepean area are better prospects. It just surprised me at first. Might seem like a backflip but I will have taken into account that Town won't enforce the rules and make any kid who doesn't want to play Premier for whatever reason and release them to their local lower divison club.
    I have always agreed with the new zoning laws. Any kid from out here that wants to play Premier Div goes with my best wishes, as long as it the the Premier Div club they are zoned under.
    Other than losing a heap of juniors to a club 50 odd km away, what does the Penrith senior club get out of this arrangement?

Because it seems to me that Campbelltown will do swimmingly out of it.
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 15th January 2010 at 09:55 PM.

Warming the Bench
    I know mate, it's just a @@@@ty situation because you think to yourself that if we (Penrith) had been able to keep all our talented players throughout the years, we would be a competitive side in Prem Div of Div 1 (big call I know, but if you saw the list of players from our region, you'd understand).
    It is a vicious circle.

A club like Penrith will invariably lose its talented juniors because it plays in a lower division. And the loss of these players then virtually ensures the club stays in the lower divisions.

So the whole process then repeats itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    Lower division clubs are always going to lose some of their best juniors to the Premier Division clubs.

I am sure that Penrith aren't alone in that regard. And the players should be allowed to go with the club's best wishes.
    This is bollocks MOP, if this was to keep happening, what chance have us lower div clubs got of pushing for promotion to higher grades?? as it is, the furthest club in prem div due west from sydney is Wests who play at Ashfield (clearly not 'western sydney'). If the AFL are fair dinkum about "growing the game in the west of sydney", then they need to look at player retention for clubs like ourselves, Parra and Norwest. And I don't think these lists are the answer.

That's it, the soapbox is all yours!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast