Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moller To Lead Blues In 2010

Players do these things. The grass is greener....some think, till they get there. Got a couple coming back this year from a PC club. Seems what they were promised by this certain club was all a load of crap and they aren't happy. Usually it would mean that they would be lost to the game, but we will always welcome them back with open arms.

That is what the seniors get out of it.

Plenty of incentives this year from both 18's and seniors. Have already looked after a couple of lads picked in the Pioneers.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubzy View Post
    This is bollocks MOP, if this was to keep happening, what chance have us lower div clubs got of pushing for promotion to higher grades?? as it is, the furthest club in prem div due west from sydney is Wests who play at Ashfield (clearly not 'western sydney'). If the AFL are fair dinkum about "growing the game in the west of sydney", then they need to look at player retention for clubs like ourselves, Parra and Norwest. And I don't think these lists are the answer.

That's it, the soapbox is all yours!!
    The club should do everything to keep a player, but if he is determined to leave to test himself at a higher level, it should be with the club's best wishes. At least that way the parting is amicable and leaves the door open for a return at some stage. That's all I was getting at.

I agree the drain of juniors from the west seems to have been an issue for years and has impeded the ability of the clubs out there to grow and develop. I honestly don't know what the answer is, the AFL can only legislate so much.

The divisional system, giving the western Sydney clubs at least a chance to be competitive, is certainly a start. And you may not think this new zoning system is the perfect answer either, but I guess it is a step in the right direction as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post

The divisional system, giving the western Sydney clubs at least a chance to be competitive, is certainly a start. And you may not think this new zoning system is the perfect answer either, but I guess it is a step in the right direction as well.
    Fully agree with that. Both are far better options that what was previously in place.

[QUOTE=mountainsofpain;471527]Lower division clubs are always going to lose some of their best juniors to the Premier Division clubs.

I am sure that Penrith aren't alone in that regard. And the players should be allowed to go with the club's best wishes.

I was simply surprised that so many of Campbelltown's nominated 30 came from outside of its immediate area.
    It is not overly complimentary to the juniors situation in that area.[/QUOTE]

As i said we are the premier side in your area thats why we nominated them. The kids from our local area are likely to play with us so of course we dont need to nominate them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    After reading what PTB had to say, I can see the reasoning. I don't know a lot about the Soth West kids and I guess that Campbelltown consider that the kids from the Nepean area are better prospects. It just surprised me at first. Might seem like a backflip but I will have taken into account that Town won't enforce the rules and make any kid who doesn't want to play Premier for whatever reason and release them to their local lower divison club.
    I have always agreed with the new zoning laws. Any kid from out here that wants to play Premier Div goes with my best wishes, as long as it the the Premier Div club they are zoned under.

Well we have nominated them, we are the premier club in their district so i guess if they want to test themselves they should come with your best wishes
    [QUOTE=mountainsofpain;471532]Other than losing a heap of juniors to a club 50 odd km away, what does the Penrith senior club get out of this arrangement?

We maybe 50Kms(Maybe) away but we are the closest Prem League club, if the kids want to test themselves and the parents want to drive them You will only loose the kids who are good enough and want to challenge themselves same as you always have, this just tells them which club they have to go to.

It is a vicious circle.

A club like Penrith will invariably lose its talented juniors because it plays in a lower division. And the loss of these players then virtually ensures the club stays in the lower divisions.

So the whole process then repeats itself.
    The club should do everything to keep a player, but if he is determined to leave to test himself at a higher level, it should be with the club's best wishes. At least that way the parting is amicable and leaves the door open for a return at some stage. That's all I was getting at.

I agree the drain of juniors from the west seems to have been an issue for years and has impeded the ability of the clubs out there to grow and develop. I honestly don't know what the answer is, the AFL can only legislate so much.

Of course kids should always play the highest level possible, if you should let them go with your best wishes then why are you whinging
    Last edited by Pace To Burn; 15th January 2010 at 11:19 PM.
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

Please read the post that I quoted when I posted. In that it gave the impression that junior numbers locally for Campbelltown had dwindled substantially, which implied to me that the club had some sort of need to go outside its immediate area to put together an Under 18s squad. In addition to that, another poster said that over half the 30 players nominated were from the Penrith/Blue Mountains/Emu Plains area, so I was just going from what I read from some of the "informed" posters here.

I am fully aware that Campbelltown has had an Under 18s side for many years. What is so different this year however that the club needs to nominate over half its Under 18 squad from outside its local area? (Which was the basis of the original question in this thread).

Is it lack of local numbers as the post I quoted suggested? Or is the club just taking the easy option of picking up talent from outside its immediate area, rather than working to put together a squad from local juniors? Do you not have sufficient talent in your immediate area to nominate a squad - or at the very least the majority of the squad?
    Maybe you should read all the posts, I repeat the kids we nominated only have to play for us if they want to play Premier Div

By the way, im so glad i started this thread to announce our new Coach. ###### Muppets

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Pace To Burn View Post
    By the way, im so glad i started this thread to announce our new Coach. ###### Muppets
    I didn't bring up the subject of Under 18s.

I don't know Radlee Moller personally, but I know a bit about him and he should be a good appointment.

Well done Campbelltown and good luck for 2010.

Warming the Bench
    Maybe you should read all the posts, I repeat the kids we nominated only have to play for us if they want to play Premier Div
    So is the junior situation out your way a bit grim as was suggested in the post I quoted?
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 15th January 2010 at 11:56 PM.

Senior Player
    Mountains the junior situation is completely @@@@@@ at present - It didnt help with the bull@@@@ that occured last year.

The zoning is an improvement but the zones in our area are unrealistic.

Bankstown is shared between Wests, St George, Campbelltown, Sthn Power and ourselves yet for us it is the only viable option available to us.

Steamboat contacted me and let me know they wouldnt be targeting any of the Bankstown kids and he knew we wouldnt be going after the kids in their area - As a club we have put in a lot of work with both Holsworthy and Bankstown over the past three years and will continue to.

The situation we dont like is that both Bangor, Heathcote and Penshurst are as close to us as the are to Sthn Power and all but Penshurts are to St George. We feel that we should be allowed access to these clubs (only after they get to know what we are about) and we surprised that we didnt after only last year the AFL had us make a presentation to them.

It is completely un realistic for myself, the other coaches and players to be travelling to Emu Plains etc to build ties with the junior clubs in the area for two reasons - we have jobs and the distance is unrealistic and there in almost no chance any on these kids would play with us - The only exception I can see is a kids from a broken home who has a parent in both areas or a kid who may have a girlfriend in our area.

The only kid I have any intention of going after from your area is young Angus and that is a few years away.

The current zoning system see a few Prem Div clubs with a wealth of riches and others like Campbelltown baren and forced to look futher afield than they would realistically like.

Is this correct? Not saying you are wrong, I just find this pathway thingy hard to grasp on a practical level...

My understanding is that only Prem Div clubs will have a "List" of 30 players and that those players are tied to those clubs. Where there is a pathway agreement such as Penno and MacUni then I think that the players can drop up and down according to form.

As an example, if North Shore has a player on the nominated list, can that bloke go and play for Manly if he so chooses or is it U18s at Norths or nowhere at all?

Senior Player
    MP that is not correct - I know these is some confusion out there but all clubs with an under 18's were required to submit a list of thirty - We have all now been supplied kids that were not listed with any club - this club included 2nd yr 18's how may no longer be playing football or who may have had a year off for yr 12.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    MP that is not correct - I know these is some confusion out there but all clubs with an under 18's were required to submit a list of thirty - We have all now been supplied kids that were not listed with any club - this club included 2nd yr 18's how may no longer be playing football or who may have had a year off for yr 12.
    I give up trying to understand it then

Surely a case of administrative overkill if you guys and Penrith need to list your top 30 when you probably sometimes struggle to field a team (not meant as an insult either before anyone arcs up). Surely the idea is to "quarantine" the top level kids and ensure they are not poached. For the Prem League clubs I see this as forcing them to do what they should be doing anyway, maintaining a good knowledge of their talent pool in their area.

For Penrith, you guys, Mac Uni etc surely this just adds another layer of unncesarry administration. For starters, how do you get a list together when you don't know if the players is listed on a Prem Leaguie list or even turning up to play again for that matter. And if a player isn't on a Prem League club's radar (i.e. top 300 juniors in Sydney) then surely the kid should be able to play wherever they want.

From what I can see this initiative is good in it's intention but poorly implemented....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast