Thread: How good was Brendan Murphy?

Veterans List

How good was Brendan Murphy?

Just been trawling through a heap of player data and noticed that there have been a significant number of Irish players that have either not made the grade or decided to return home before reaching their potential.

I'm very envious of NSW based supporters who can watch the reserves on a regular basis, something I can't do unfortunately.

At a distance it seemed to me that we may have had a very good Irishman in our grasp. Those who are regular watchers, I wondered how good Brendan Murphy was or could have been and does anyone think he was close to getting a game? What style of player was he?

After being dubbed the Irish Chris Judd (by Tadhg) he unfortunately was never going to make it.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Veteran Site Admin
    Picked up the basics of the game very quickly in year one. Was very quick (especially for his height), loved to run up the ground with the ball and snare a goal, loved the physical stuff and was very vocal for a newbie. Had some clear issues with his game - kicking was a bit awkward (though usually effective at the reduced ACTAFL level), got caught in possession when he became obsessed with bouncing the ball after one step, and had a bit to learn about one-on-one contests with half-decent forwards.

That was year one.

Sadly, in year two, got injured early, missed half the season and in the few games after he did return he looked much slower, heavy in the legs and really didn't seem as if he was enjoying playing at all. Hard to know whether he was still carrying an injury, whether he was suffering the effects of lost fitness after a long term injury, or whether he was disinterested.

Was very disappointed when he decided to pack it in at the end of last year. Impossible to tell whether he would have ever become good enough but there were certainly encouraging signs in year one.

So after a promising first year, he turned into a sack of potatoes. I was very disappointed in his decision to go home.

Lets hope the latest recruit is better.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    If we weren't getting these guys at no cost (i.e. it costs us no spots on the list or draft picks), then I'd say we're better off sticking with some 16yo in the draft or via the scholarships programme. We've had one hit and a lot of misses via this whole Irish recruitment strategy.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    We've had one hit and a lot of misses via this whole Irish recruitment strategy.
    Yes, that's what struck me. When you look through the data, there's a significant number of Irish players tried out over the years with a range of clubs with only Tadgh, Stynes and Sean White playing alot of games and maybe now O'Hailpin. Marty Clarke could have but chose to go home.

Interesting to see how many in total are on lists this year.

The club obivously thought he was good enough to make it as they offered him another contract.

But I would suspect that after a year of constant injury which set him back they thought he would not play seniors in 2010 and therefore Murphy thought it would not be worth sticking around.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Little doubt in my mind that talent wise, he could have made a go of it and reached the top level.

His injuries obviously knocked his desire around as much as his body and combined with the homesickness factor, it just wasn't to be.

Definately a shame.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Little doubt in my mind that talent wise, he could have made a go of it and reached the top level.

His injuries obviously knocked his desire around as much as his body and combined with the homesickness factor, it just wasn't to be.

Definately a shame.
    I totally agree with you B. Unfortunately I was standing only meters away when he did his shoulder (I think) at the intraclub match in 2009, and saw him face down on the sideline turf with Stuey at his side. I felt sick for him. You could see it had knocked him flying and I don't think his spirit recovered.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veterans List
    Makes you more respectful of what Tadhg has achieved given he's faced (and overcome) even more significant hurdles during his time.

Senior Player
    as said year 2 was a bad year. That's when I saw him in the practice match against Melbourne. Looked well slow at the tail end of preseason.