Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RWOers in Sydney who grew up in another state

Grew up in Melbourne when Barassi was one of the all conquering Demons so I backed the winners. Dad was a born & bred Fotscray supporter, Mum followed Hawthorn (discovered much later her father played for Hawthorn 1918-20).

Moved to Sydney in 78. When the Swans followed I adopted them. Started going to a occasional games in the early 90s when my son was participating in one of the Auskick (though it wasn't called that then) games.

Became a member at the start of 96 (good timing ) when my son was old enough to actually pay attention to the game in progress.

Senior Player
    Born in Sydney, grew up in country Victoria. Didn't care for football between ages 10-24 when the Swans came to me in a dream (true story). Unfortunately, this was in 2006 so everyone just assumed I'd jumped on a bandwagon because the Swans were the reigning premiers. It wasn't until 2007, when we'd lost the GF and I was still a mad Swans man that people started thinking I might be for real. That said, when I was a kid, and a Bombers fan, I did always have a soft spot for Sydney because I was born there.

Goes up to 11
    Grew up in the Riverina - the only place where people are enlightened enough to be able to follow Aussie Rules and League with equal passion. Followed Richmond (my Mum's team) as a kid until moving to Sydney in the early 90's - have been on the Swans ever since.

I only went to my first Swans v Richmond game last year (2009). Up until then I just couldn't go see the Swans play the Tigers - I always said it was a bit like having dinner with your ex and your current partner together. But I'm ok with it now, and I'll be with the Swans forever.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I only went to my first Swans v Richmond game last year (2009). Up until then I just couldn't go see the Swans play the Tigers - I always said it was a bit like having dinner with your ex and your current partner together. But I'm ok with it now, and I'll be with the Swans forever.
    I actually went to dinner with my ex and her current (at the time) partner once. All awkwardness was solved by copious amounts of alcohol.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    I actually went to dinner with my ex and her current (at the time) partner once. All awkwardness was solved by copious amounts of alcohol.
    Funny thats how I coped with the Swans v Tigers match.

On the Rookie List
    Grew up in Adelaide,short distance away from Unley Oval,home of the mighty Sturt Football Club (the double blues). Played Football from age 11 till I retired at 41..thats 30 years for the non mathamaticians! Had one memorable coaching session as a kid with Ron Barassi and Neil Kerley. Followed the Double Blues and saw every one of their 5 Flags in the 60's. Played Country Football in Adelaide Hills for many years then moved to northern NSW and played there. We could only get Swans games for a while on tv and news on the Swans in the papers so I gave up on the Crows (who were never my style of team) and followed the Swans ever since.have a soft spot for SA and its great footballers.

Veterans List
    Always been in Adelaide and didn't follow any VFL side until the early 80s when we started getting one live VFL game per week on TV.

Every second week that game would be a Sunday fixture from the SCG so by default I saw the Swans most often and started following them.

Been a mad keen supporter since then and raised two (now adult) sons who are equally dedicated. The youngest forked out $1200 a time to go to the 05 & 06 GF, the eldest got a big Swans tattoo on his back the night of the Premiership.

Thankfully the internet is here as AFL media coverage in SA is 95% Adel Cows and Poor Power.

Grew up in Wollongong, remember having Micky O, Paul Kelly and Derek Kickett come to my primary school and teach me how to kick and handball. In 95-96 I was converted from Rugby League (The Steelers) To AFL. Haven't looked back since!

Since moved to Wodonga, then to Melbourne! Was always the only swans supporter in my group of friends, and after 03-04-05-06 almost all my mates love coming over whenever the swans play to have some beers and cheer us on!! BBBB was our favourite!

Veterans List
    Perth boy originally that transplanted to Sydney in '92. Lukewarm West Coast fan but used to go to the Swans games coz I loved my footy. Eventually, it dawned on me that I was more passionate about the Swans players than I was about the Eagles'. So I made it "official".

The mighty Claremont Tigers remain my first love I guess - but don't get to see a whole bunch of them these days.

On the Rookie List
    Moved to SYD from the USA in 1975. Kept an open mind about which code to support. Decided on AFL. No local team so decided on Carlton. [Mother always said I looked good in blue. :-]
    When the Swannies moved here in 1982, decided I had to "root" for the home team. It was rough, particularly the 23 [I think] game losing streak. 1996 was rewarding, but since 2005, I can die a happy man. Swannies Forever!!!
    Richard

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I didn't follow any footy until I was about 21.
    My life before that consisted of surfing, a little bit more surfing and a bit of skateboarding.

One time one of my mates older brother was around for a bbq and said turn on the footy.
    I thought 'oh god no, don't tell me he loves league'. (at college there was the "surfy/skatey gang" or the "fooey heads", two mutual exclusive groups. I came to loathe anything to do with league.) but he put on a swannies match.
    He had been to one a few weeks earlier and was hooked.
    So when we got the chance (a flat surf one weekend) we all went and watched a Swannies match.
    From memory it was the last game of 1995 against the Pies and I liked it. It wasn't until the following seasons preliminary final that I was really hooked.

From 1997 onwards I went to every game I could afford until I left Sydney about 3.5 years ago.
    The first game I saw aftering moving-in in Coffs Harbour was the devastating loss of the 2006 GF. But, I can really say the only regrets I have leaving Sydney are leaving behind a few friends and my dear Swannies.
    It would probably be different if I did not have this forum to sate me. R&W forever.
    BTW I am off to a fancy dress party in Bowral next week, dressed up as Wazza Capper
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 10th February 2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

My Grandfather moved his family up to Sydney after WW1. My abiding impression of him is when he was sitting on the edge of a chair on the veranda with a transister clamped to the side of his head yelling "Carn the Blues". My mother told me it was cricket. It wasn't. This was in the late 1950s perhaps early 1960s - I was very young. He then tried to explain the game to me, and his eyes were bright with passion and excitement and remembered glories and just possibly bottle or two of beer. It was a Bonza Game apparently. He scared the willies out of me.

Can you imagine never seeing another game the Swans play and having to rely on the occasional broadcast into town on the radio? NO footie!!! Thank heavens we live in the 21st century.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast