Thread: Best game on the weekend

Best game on the weekend

The best game of footy last weekend was the NRL vs Allstars game - better even than the Natanui show in Perth.

The League really has the drop on AFL when it comes to creating fresh contests beyond the regular premiership. Origin is a great spectacle and a TV ratings smash.

The Allstars concept (top indigenous players vs the rest) is a great idea and also a ratings winner - it beat a T20 match playing in Sydney and Melbourne, and had ten times more viewers than the Waratahs-Reds Super 14 match on at the same time. Would surely translate brilliantly to AFL.

ttp://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/fans-vote-with-their-remotes-all-stars-clash-a-ratings-winner-20100215-o2za.html

Origin is a no-brainer too, but no sign of that in the AFL. Outside the premiership comp all we have is the NAB Cup.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any issue with AFLs position. A SOO or other doesn't really interest me much. My interest in the NAB cup is reasonably limited and mostly driven by fear: please don't let there be an injury. I like getting a look at the youngsters and I'm relieved the long wait to the new season is nearly over.

The cynic in me believes the NRL has started the Indigenous Matches because the AFL has long touted itself as the native game, with the highest involvement of indigenous kids and players and the best (and first) racial villification policy. My inner cynic says the NRL caught on to their idea in order to show they were a healthy and vibrant alternative to the AFL and that it isn't all one-way traffic.

That said, it is a good concept. I believe, however, that it is built on the precedent of the AFL's Indigenous All-Star teams that have existed since 1983.

The AFL does well with it's themed rounds throughout the season proper. Women's, Rivalry, ANZAC, Green, Queen's Birthday, Indigenous rounds all have marketing value and greatly benefit the AFL product. State of Origin is a concept well fitted to NRL as it is played in only two states, and is easy to create an "us vs them" mentality. Such a mentality no longer exists in the AFL, where at least 4 teams (and most probably 6) are needed to allow equal representation and matches become meaningless without a way to determine an overall winner.

The AFL (unlike the NRL) has also persevered with a proper pre-season competition, though what will happen to it after this year remains to be seen. Despite it's drawbacks and naysayers, the pre-season competition provides entertainment for most and sides that show well in it can expect a membership boost from fans catching the winning fever. The upshot of this cannot be measured, but I suspect it would be greater then any themed pre-season novelty match the NRL use to advertise their game.
    10100111001 ;-)

yah its a nice game i also played it one time ..not 2much good but its normal
    steven