Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NAB Cup Rd 1 - Swans v Carlton Match Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by voodooguru View Post
    I thought Seabee showed a bit too. Good around the ground, good pace for his size?

How's Mount Mummy's pace? Wallsy thinks Mount Mummy is delicious!

What I liked about Seaby was his clean hands and disposal and low to the ground work for a big bloke. He seems to have plenty of time to dispose of the footy.

If Jetta continues this form to Round 1 he has to start on thr wing. I don't know how big that ground was but can't wait to see on the wings of the G.

Did anyone else notice how when it was a bad centre bounce and we got clear possession they called it back, but when it was the reverse it was play on.

I thought Jude Bolton was in our best. Lets hope Craig Bolton's groin injury is just a twinge.

Tadgh did OK but he looked like he needed the hard hitout. He was looking for petrol tickets a lot of the time. I think he missed that ball late in the third quarter due to tiredness.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Got a bit sick of watching Goodes try to take contested marks in the forward lime.
    He ain't no ROK
    It was a bit of a concern, I agree. But on many occasions we kicked to 2 on 1 situations with Goodes which is just dumb football.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

If I leave out Bolton, Kirk, Jack, Tag, LRT, Goodes, Grundy etc who all played solid footy and simply picked up from where they left off.

1. Malceski - gee he looked fit, solid in game time and great to see him looking more confident. he will improve.

2. Jetta and Rohan will both get decent game time in 2010. Both are lethal with speed and excitement. Jetta and Rohan looked they did in their respective you tube footage yet this is 3 levels higher !!!....what great picks !

3. Bird, Kennedy, Seaby and McGlynn looked very comfortable out there and will be part of the 22 no doubt

4. O'dwyer for me was a stand out from where he was in 2009 to now. He tries very hard and could continue blooming over the next few seasons.

5. Did Sam Reid or Campbell Heath get some game time

6. Byron - a little early to tell if 2010 any game time but solid

7. TDL tried hard
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    I think we were watching different games.

Bird looked evasive created options from the inside

I guess that's what makes our game interesting. It would be good to see some stats and he seemed to have a bit of it in the second half, but to me most of his work was only in a 20 metre radius. His kicks were very short and he turned it over a bit. If you compare him to Jude, Jude certainly gains a lot more ground and usually moves in a straight line.

Up until now I have liked Bird but I want to see that early promise really come out as a positive penetrating midfielder. Someone said recently he had improved his kicking and was kicking through the ball now. That wasn't eveident tonight.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    It was a bit of a concern, I agree. But on many occasions we kicked to 2 on 1 situations with Goodes which is just dumb football.
    Agreed and that was my real beef on our game. Some of those kicks went 20 metres when players with the footy were inside 50, and really they should have kicked goals. You can't blame the likes of Goodes, TDL and Rohan.

If we can clip out the shabby kicks when clear under no pressure then we will be a much better side.

Veterans List
    Loved O'Dwyer's game. Think I might have put the mocker on poor ol' TDL tho! Next week...

A couple weeks ago, I predicted The Truth's centerfold headline.

Fart-Sniffing Commo Conga Line Exposed As Rebuilt Birds Drub Drunks!!!
    I was wrong about Gerard and his hair.

Veterans List
    And a huge thumbs up to Teddy who's first piece of play after having his lung punctured vs Carlton was to back into a pack against the same team. Tremendous courage - and he had an excellent game too. Nice to have him back.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The playing surface is beautiful but not a great place to watch. The grassed hills were quite steep so quite uncomfortable. Great crowd and the umpire calling time when the train went through was very funny!
    Good things - Jetta looked like he belonged and has the most beautiful smile. He seemed to really enjoy the fans appreciation when he walked the boundary! Jude was fantastic early on and Melcho worked hard all game.
    Bevo was disappointing. That's all I'm going to say about that.
    Biggest surprise was Rohan. By the fourth quarter we were saying "You just got Tang'd" - his second efforts were excellent and he chased hard. Did everything you would want.
    Sumner spent most game working one-on-one around the boundary with a coaching assistant. When he came on seemed lost. You could see that both he and TDL were desperate to please but maybe a bit of nerves.
    The midfield seemed to be working well I thought and there is some really good and quick transition play from defence that fell over quite a bit from a few sloppy passes but they seemed to be able to break the blues zone/lines reasonably easily and you can see that next play upfield so shame they couldn't nail those handballs.
    Goodes didn't quite have his timing right playing FF and we seemed short in the forward line often so he had 2 players on him. Sloppy game but FOOTY'S BACK and I'm smiling.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Agree with most of what others have said. Jude and Kirk were the best I thought. Bird. Malceski, Mattner, Tadhg, LRT, Grundy. Ted all useful. Goodes rusty but did some good stuff. Youngsters are seriously promising.
    A personal highlight: great mark by Currie near the end, sorry he didn't have a go at goal, passed it off instead.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Jetta (JIZZ)
    Rohan (JIZZ)
    Kirk roflpwning McLean (JIZZ)

Warming the Bench
    Great Saturday night in Melbourne, all i need now is our memberships. Cant wait.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast