Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: NAB Cup Rd 1 - Swans v Carlton Match Thread

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Weel done Swans, We have finally won a pre season game under Roosey - something that has baffled me for years - cultivating the winning habit early.

Those kids had a blast, scrappy skills at times, not having Jolly didn't seem that significant.

Is jetta a close relative of Micky O....? Beautiful mover. Love his work.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice ground, parking and PA not great.

Most exciting thing for me was when I saw Rohan and realized he is a lot taller than I thought.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Did Craig Bolton get hurt?

Really nice change to see a win ore season, even if it was that the Blues were even rustier with their skills than our blokes.

What pleased me is that this year the new kids don't look out of place, and to go with their speed their general footskills are excellent. Pity the same could not be said of some of the senior players. How many times did Goodes and Currie lead only to see the ball sailing over their heads.

TDL missed a few he should have taken, but his pressure on the Carlton backs when they had was very good. He's definitely worth another run.

The bright spark who reckoned the ground capacity was 10K got that very wrong. The was plenty of room to spare and the ground could take 15K easily. We got there early and parked our folding chairs on the wide flat bit on the top of the steep hill. Had a great view. The playing arena is exactly the same size as the MCG, the surface is brilliant but the goal posts are the wobbliest in existance.

The logic of the bars only serving mid strength swill, while at the same time serving full measures of wine and cougars totally defeated me.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Quite a good night out, and nice to see us finally get a win in round 1 of the pre-season comp.

I wouldn't say our performance exactly set the world on fire, but Jetta did some very good things, and we had some really good run out of the back-line on more than one occasion.

The venue itself is impressive, even if a bit of a challenge to get to. It could do with a few more seats. Still, the ground was in excellent condition.

Regular in the Side
    Wow, just finished watching the game....
    Rohan and Jetta certainly dont look out of place....

Dennis-Lane will do alright just needs some of confidence...
    Summer not sure how much game time he got...

Very impressed with mcGlynn's work rate....

We certainly have some depth to pick from if people aren't performing...

On the Rookie List
    How far can Jetta kick? The one he let loose from the square should have been marked by TDL 1 metre out. 70 metres? Wow! Pace to burn straight kick and long kick ,we are lucky to have him as he has Star written all over him. TDL tried too hard but at least kicked straight from a gettable set shot.
    Mc Glynne got the ball a lot and is gutsy but his delivery led to turnovers.Bevan had his chances in the forwards but messed up each one Didn't see much of Kennedy or Sumner.O'dwyer had a lot of the ball and was quite good/Pyke has improved but not there yet while Seaby was good.
    Overall a good work out and better skills than we normally exhibit this time of year.

Jetta is easily the most exciting prospect we have had in the last 10 years IMO. What a star. Can kick 70m on the run too.

Very impressed with McGlynn he is a little battler and never gives up.

Good signs ahead from what I saw.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Most exciting thing for me was when I saw Rohan and realized he is a lot taller than I thought.
    Yeah I watched him at the under 18 champs about eight months ago and he's definitely grown quite a bit since then. I think he still has a way to go before nailing down a spot but definitely good signs.

As for Jetta - silky skills, pace to burn, composure and at times looked like an established AFL player kicking around with WAFL battlers rather than the other way around.

He will look very good kicking to Bradshaw and White down the track...

Otherwise my highlights were seeing Malceski and Kennelly go a little way towards silencing the doubters. Both have a way to go also but didn't look out of place.

Bring on the aints!!!!!!

Only saw the first two and a half quarters, but thought it was a great hitout - very scrappy by both sides, but the new brigade met my fondest expectations.

Nothing to add about Jetta - sensational, and with McGlynn and Rohan and the Malceski's reboot really changes the way we play. It was like watching a totally different team tonight.

Loved Rohan's big tackles in the first quarter - pretty good for the slightest guy on the field. Liked how he managed to draw frees, too - seemed to draw a lot of attention for a guy playing his first game.

Enjoyed the end-to-end goal that went MOD to Rohan to Bird to TDL. There's our future.

Thought Jude was maybe our best player. Also impressed by McGlynn's efforts - he plays like a Swan - Bevan's attack on the ball early and the return of the old Malceski. He was really authoritative and confident, as was Bird.

Didn't see a lot of Kennedy and was a touch disappointed with Pyke - was hoping to at least see some tackling and one percenters from him, but not much sign. Seaby seemed to fit in well.

We've got a much more run-on style this year and the players with the pace to make it work. Will be interesting to see how we go against the Saints - the do very fast transitions and, judging on Fri night's game, they now like to go up the middle.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

BTW still excited this morn about seeing Jetta and Rohan let loose on our HF flanks in 2010 and even drop Jetta back to the wing for small parts of the game in his first year !!

Rohans pressure when he defends on a turnover is attack in itself. He is seriously quick and that rackle where he panthered the Blue on the sideline was just scary speed and commitment.

We have to remember they had 9 top 10 draft picks playing out their the Blues o quality youth.

They had no Fev but we had no Bradshaw, White, ROK, Bolton injured straight away among many others missing for us !!

Having no Bradshaw nor White made TDLs job very tough and Goodes went back on the ball first half quite a bit !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast