Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: NAB cup rnd 2. Saints vs Swans Game Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Yes I'm also worried that he misses too many targets and missed targets costs goals against good teams. Looking at the AFL bible, his kicking efficiency has been very poor his whole career 2006-2009 it's been 64.6, 61.7, 59.4 and 62.9%, that means only three out of five kicks hit their target or two out of five don't and create turnovers. That's a very sobering set of stats.
    That's not actually how DE works. It's not inefficient when it causes a turnover, it's inefficient if it isn't collected uncontested. So kicks to a contest won't be considered efficient, nor will kicks that are fumbled by the recipient. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works. It's definitely not like that though. Most players have a DE around 70.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Roos won't drag him for mistakes so he's at the right club if it is a confidence issue. He does seem to overkick rather than underkick IIRC. Let's hope they don't send him to BBBBHs eye surgeon if he is a touch short-sighted.

Veteran Site Admin
    Realistically, we weren't going to trade for a 23 year old who is tough, reasonably quick and knows how to win the ball for a 4th round pick if he also has laser like disposal skills. Hopefully he can cut down on the worst of his disposal errors but it is a flaw in his game that is going to stop him ever being a sooperstar. It just comes down to whether his other attributes compensate for his weakness, and also to team balance (ie how many others have similar flaws).

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    In the reserves he's taller and bigger than most opponents thrown at him and doesn't have trouble imposing himself. I've often wondered if the ACTAFL umpires have invented the "Daniel Currie is too tall and too good a mark" rule to ping him for frees when he just leans over and takes the mark.

Reports suggest he is a fairly self-effacing and intelligent young man. Hopefully a few games under his belt will give him the confidence he needs.

I suspect he'll primarily be a ruckman rather than a pure forward, though. He has nothing like the speed or agility of someone like White, and his kicking for goal can be a little iffy at times, too. But hopefully he will turn into the kind of ruckman who can push forward at times, or at least spend time "resting" in the goal square. His hands really are quite special, as he has shown with a couple of his marks in the last fortnight.
    Thanks Liz! With Seaby and Mummy ahead of him in the ruck and Johnston as well as Rohan to team up with White in the forward line in the future, Iam a bit sad for him - same as with Ed - no room in the inn.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Sorry, but you need to look at the tape (I've just finished it)...O'Dwyer's disposal is very good....plus his stuff-up account is a lot lower than the rest of the back-line.
    Sorry, no need to look at the tape. Watched him every second weekend in the ressies for the past 3 years and his disposal is...well, to be kind, it's sus. He is quick, moves well, is a deceptively good mark overhead and even though he plays a loose role, I've seen him put his body on the line countless times, so his courage cannot be questioned. I love the way he goes about his game.

The fact remains, he has ordinary disposal at best. Mind you, as reserves watchers will attest, it is better than it was, but still way short of 'very good'.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Sorry, no need to look at the tape. Watched him every second weekend in the ressies for the past 3 years and his disposal is...well, to be kind, it's sus. He is quick, moves well, is a deceptively good mark overhead and even though he plays a loose role, I've seen him put his body on the line countless times, so his courage cannot be questioned. I love the way he goes about his game.

The fact remains, he has ordinary disposal at best. Mind you, as reserves watchers will attest, it is better than it was, but still way short of 'very good'.
    OK...maybe not "very" good....but definitely good on the night. One long kick to wing for goal comes to mind.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I thought his kicking was poor on the night (he had a few teammates join him in this regard mind you). He's a solid kick when under no pressure, but once some opposition players come towards him, or he has to kick on the run, the resultant kick can be a shocker.

AFL Photos | Saints hold off Swans in NAB Cup thriller

Just a couple of photos from the game.

BRING ON ROUND 1, I can't wait for it anymore.

Anyone else getting frustrated by the lack of AFL in the tabloid Tele?

AFL Photos - Galleries - AFL Photo Galleries

Here's some more photos for your viewing pleasure.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112