Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: NAB Challenge Week 3: Sydney v Essendon

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    they persisted with him last year when he wasn't playing well so you'd have to say he's definitely in contention ...

all spots will depend on next week's game ... it's doubtful anyone who doesn't play next week will play round 1 (with the exception of Bradshaw and possibly McVeigh) so it's the youngsters (Rohan, Jetta, Hanners) and the fringe players' (Kennedy, McGlynn, Bevan, Barlow, O'Dwyer) chances!!
    Thinking of Blighty's 'bottom six', that must be the best fringe we've had in a while!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Thank you everyone for the detailed reports. I have noticed from the other NAB cup games a lot of fumbles and dropped marks that would normally be taken, in all the games. Is it the temperatures and humidity/sweat or the yellow balls that cause this? There is one photo of Jetta from the link UGG provided that shows him looking upfield and his body is assuming he has the ball from that physical memory stuff who's label I have forgotten(I daydream a bit in those professional learning seminars). However it is spilling out of his hands. You can see from the body language that the assumption is he would have handled that cleanly 99 times out of 100. Methinks there are some external things affecting the ball handling.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Opti-pessi-misti
    Me too. Thanks heaps for the very informative reports on the game. They are the next best thing to being there ourselves (if you can't see it on the box). I don't know how you manage to see so much going on and then actually remember it to report later! I'm so appreciative that I can even forgive you all for forgetting to report on Ed's first appearance for the season. Methinks it must have been not too memorable!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I'm so appreciative that I can even forgive you all for forgetting to report on Ed's first appearance for the season. Methinks it must have been not too memorable!
    Ed was actually pretty decent. There were a couple of times where he took far too long to make a decision and got himself in big trouble. But since it was his first game of the year, that can be excused, I guess. On the whole he looked fit, presented well across half forward and delivered with accuracy and purpose. As frequently discussed, there is a lot of competition for the last few spots in the team but he's probably given himself some kind of chance. If Bradshaw's problems linger, his chances must be increased.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Thanks very much for all the reporting, I bought the papers to find something about the game, but there was bugger all.
    Best to go straight to RWO.

I don't think Goodes has ever tried too hard in these games.

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Not sure if anyone noticed it. Even though I am a dyed in the wool Bombers fan, if I see something I don't like, I'll single it out. Mark McVeigh was getting a dead set bath on Saturday night, and I'd had a few sherberts on the hill. Think it was in the last quarter, he came over to the eastern wing trying to find a kick, when I yelled out "Hey McVeigh, you've got a beard like a transvestite" which I'm sure players have heard worse, after all, they play to crowds of varying sizes every week. He heard what I said and gave me the bird!! Well, red rag to a bull, I kept on going, so while trying to tackle a Swans player, he called me out!! You'd expect better from a bloke thats played more than 200 games wouldn't you!
    Anyway, that's my story from the night, still cracks me up when I think of it.

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Being up in Sydney for the A-League the next day, I decided to troop out to have a look at things. I'd like to say I had a great time. Once I got out there I did. The stadium was absolutely brilliant. I was gobsmacked as to what a great viewing ground it was. But considering there was trackwork it took over two and a half hours to get there from Newtown. I arrived at bloody quarter time, after being dropped off the bus at Doonside & pleading with 3 Essendon fans who were as equally lost for directions.

I have to say I was VERY impressed at what I saw yet again. Our ball movement and overall ball skills were streets ahead of what you'd expect from the Swans in the pre-season. Jetta once again looked brilliant with his pace & skill & Rohan looks to have cemented a spot for himself across half forward (at least from what I remember). Jessie White looked a tad sharper than he did against St Kilda. And to think he will have Bradshaw & hopefully Vespremi to take the pressure off him up forward augers well for an exciting season. Nich Smith looked a tad hesitant in the back line at times. I don't know what role they are wanting him to play there. I guess now is the time to try things out.

I'd definitely go out to Blacktown for a game again. But would organise a lift or something first. I could have flown to Adelaide in a shorter time than it took on those ever-comfortable Cityrail replacement buses from Granville.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's just unfortunate timing with the trackwork, JF. My grandma lives in Doonside and from Newtown to there by train is normally a pretty quick trip, but whenever there's trackwork it just becomes a massive pain.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314