Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Message to Roosy - Don't kill the Goodes Star

Message to Roosy - Don't kill the Goodes Star

Adam Goodes is the most multi dimensional player to have ever played Australian Football. The only player in living memory who is even comparable is Anthony Koutoufides (who couldn't really play ruck). Kouta was moved into the forward line by necessity late in his career and in my opinion broadly failed in the role.

Now perhaps if Goodes lost the mobility or fitness etc to play the multi dimensional role there might be an argument for moving him to a pocket. And perhaps if we were really struggling for tall forwards, and had a surplus of really skilful midfielders, there might be an argument for plugging the forward gap.

But look at what we have. We have an almost proven big athletic forward who does his best work between 40m and 60m from goal in Jesse White. We have a proven, if ageing, lead up forward who has done his best work in a three pronged forward line in Daniel Bradshaw. And we have a monster of a bloke with massive hands and enormous talent who must at the very least attract a serious tall defender in Dan Currie. Now there is not a club, except perhaps our own, who have sufficient "tall" defenders to cover those match ups.

In addition, to complement these big blokes, you can take your pick out of Bevan, Moore, TDL, Vez, McGlynn, Jack to gather crumbs and provide defensive pressure inside 50m.

And this leaves Goodes to do what he does best, play awesome footy wherever he is needed, be it midfield, wing, loose in defence, or even as a mobile HFF. If endurance is an issue, then have him and ROK swap on the bench in the same Ruck Roving type role. Again, we have a plethora of smaller grunty ball winners to do the heavy lifting inside.

But please, please don't turn the most multi dimensional footballer the game has seen into a one dimensional forward. He is far more effective as a utility.

BTW, this is not a comment on his pre-season form, which is always pretty questionable, and which I haven't seen. Nor is it a broader criticism of Roosy, whose efforts in 2005 will never be forgotten and to whom I remain eternally grateful.

Firstly, I don't think anyone is trying to turn Goodes into a one dimensional footballer. As others pointed out in the match thread, he needs to be leading a lot more rather than trying to outmark opponents one on one. He was talking the talk pre season (about running defenders ragged) so hopefully he'll put that into action. Goodes should model his forward play on Nick Reiwoldt.

I think you overestimate a few things though. White is still very inexperienced and is yet to play week in week out on the competition's best defenders and carry a forward line. And Currie is yet to play an AFL game. Bradshaw is injured. So the jury is still out as to whether the forward line needs Goodes or not.

Also, while our backline is quite good you can't be serious in suggesting it's the best in the AFL?
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Interesting questions.
    On Goodes, I'm not unduly worried about a couple of NAB games. He knows what he needs to do, and I trust Roos will continue to give him the scope he needs.
    The forward line has the potential to be among the most damaging around. A couple of works in progress here.
    And the backline is surely up with the best when all are available, I think mainly because of the way Reg has come on.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goodesy.

Nuff said.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I agree that he needs to play midfied, it is simply where he plays his best footy.

Eade failed at making Goodes a CHF early on his career and I simply can't see it happening now.

A) Has anyone ever seen Goodes play exceptionally well during a pre-season?

B) If the move to CHF (and he stays there) prolongs his AFL career year or 2 [or 3], it's worth the short-term sacrifice of not seeing him gallivanting around the ground.

Some of his games at CHF last year were awesome.

He will be fine. Once Bradshaw and White are there with him (and throw Johnston into the mix) and he will destroy his opponent. Just needs to keep running.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Just look at his games against the Richmond, Geelong and StKilda late last year and then tell if he can or can't play CHF?

Goodsey can play ANYWHERE, and play there very well.

That's why we love him so much.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Just look at his games against the Richmond, Geelong and StKilda late last year and then tell if he can or can't play CHF?
    Yep, just watched those games again, Goodes was awesome at times and should definitely predominantly play CHF with White and Bradshaw at FF. That will take some matching up.

As for our defence, there are still people who haven't realised that Grundy has developed into a seriously good key defender, and LRT is also much more accomplished now than many give him credit for. As for C Bolts, well he's a champion!

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Also, while our backline is quite good you can't be serious in suggesting it's the best in the AFL?
    Not sure I suggested that it was the best in the comp, I haven't considered that but I can't think of too many better. What I meant was that I wasn't sure there were any clubs with sufficient tall defenders to match up against 3 key forwards, especially when the "junior" of the three would definitely require a serious tall defender as a match up. Sydney have Bolton, LRT, Grundy, and Richards who can all play a legitimately tall defensive game. I can't think (admittedly without looking) of any other club who have that many tall options in defence.

Nor do I think Goodes can't play CHF. I don't doubt that he could be among the best in the comp at the caper. I just think he could and would do more damage as a utility and, with CHF being such a structural position, we would be better off with White playing there full time.

Maybe a bit harsh on roos.
    Maybe Goodes is playing where he wants to play?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast