Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Swans Team 1980-2010

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar

Best Swans Team 1980-2010

I'm so optimistic about the future (White, Hanneberry, Meredith, Jetta, Rohan, Smith, Vesz, Currie, Jack - have we ever had a stronger group coming through?) it makes me reflect on the past.

IMLTHO, our best '80-'10 would beat every premiership team over the same era. Hawks, Cats, Bombers, Lions, whoever - this team has as much talent and more heart.

Heavily biased towards the power teams of the late '80s and mid '90s- '00s, but why wouldn't it be?

B: Browning Dunkley D Ackerly
    HB: D Carroll Bayes C Bolton
    C: D Murphy G Williams Maxfield
    HF:T Morwood Goodes Lewis
    F: S Wright Lockett Hall
    R: Round Healy Kelly
    I/C: Ball Cresswell Kirk Carter

Apologies: P Williams, Mitchell, J Bolton, Kennelly, I Roberts, Barry, Capper

I hope that in 5 years' time there will be 9 new names in the starting 22.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Can't comment on players pre '95..but a couple of observations from me...I would rate Williams ahead of Cresswell (different types I know but...) Have to rate Jolly a better player than Ball now that he is in his prime. Ball never dominated around the ground the way Jolly sometimes does.

Would have thought AFL team of the century CHB Paul Roos might have got a gig. Ditto Micky O.

Wish I had seen Bayes, Wright, Morwood, Williams and Healy play as their names come up pretty regularly here. Can anyone suggest a particular game and I'll try to get a torrent to improve my education.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Have to rate Jolly a better player than Ball now that he is in his prime. Ball never dominated around the ground the way Jolly sometimes does.

Would have thought AFL team of the century CHB Paul Roos might have got a gig. Ditto Micky O.
    How embarrassing. Of course Micky O must be in there - shows the danger of doing these things late at night. Sorry Dale Lewis, you are now an apology.

As for Jolly v Ball, I'll stick with Ball. His tap work was far more effective than Jolly's ever has been, or ever will be.

Interesting argument about Roosy. He was a very fine player for us but both Bayes and D Carroll are Swans team of the century players and each spent about 200 more games than Roosy in the red and white. Apologies Paul.

B: Browning Dunkley D Ackerly
    HB: D Carroll Bayes C Bolton
    C: D Murphy G Williams Maxfield
    HF:T Morwood Goodes O'Loughlin
    F: S Wright Lockett Hall
    R: Round Healy Kelly
    I/C: Ball Cresswell Kirk Carter

Apologies: P Williams, Mitchell, J Bolton, Kennelly, I Roberts, Barry, Capper, Lewis, Roos
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

I am going to hate myself after this. As much as I adore Stewie, IMHO J Bolton is a much better prospect.

Were you honestly going to leave Kirky out? Hmmmm? I mean, well, ......
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I think we overestimate how good the 80s era players were. We need to remember they only came close to winning one final in all of that time

I think Kennelly and Paul Roos were far better players for Sydney than either Ackerly or Browning. As much as I loved D Murphy, I have no doubt that Paul Williams and Wayne Schwass were bother better players IIRCC D Murphy played around 168 -170 games and Schwass 98. Hall is the best CHF Sydney has probably ever had bar none

Barry Round was a glorious trier Jolly and Ball are the best ruckman we have had. Interested to see Dr Js comments here. See if he can overlook his namessake
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Unfortunately no finals were played in Sydney in the mid 8o's. If we had the right to play home finals back then I think we could have won 2 premierships under Tom Hafey.

Bayes was better on a back flank, making Craig Bolton's selection a bit extreme. Roos to CHB. This from a Bombers supporter.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    As for Jolly v Ball, I'll stick with Ball. His tap work was far more effective than Jolly's ever has been, or ever will be...
    Agreed.
    Jolly may have the hit out record for a match, but Cannon (Ball) was much better at placing his hit outs IMO
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post
    Unfortunately no finals were played in Sydney in the mid 8o's. If we had the right to play home finals back then I think we could have won 2 premierships under Tom Hafey.
    Doubt it, the last Saturday in September was still at the MCG, home finals or no home finals.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    I think we overestimate how good the 80s era players were. We need to remember they only came close to winning one final in all of that time

I think Kennelly and Paul Roos were far better players for Sydney than either Ackerly or Browning. As much as I loved D Murphy, I have no doubt that Paul Williams and Wayne Schwass were bother better players IIRCC D Murphy played around 168 -170 games and Schwass 98. Hall is the best CHF Sydney has probably ever had bar none

Barry Round was a glorious trier Jolly and Ball are the best ruckman we have had. Interested to see Dr Js comments here. See if he can overlook his namessake
    Hmmmm.. at the risk of getting sucked in by a p!ss-take comment, I have to question parts of this. As No. 43 suggested, the 1986-7 Swans were unable to take advantage of a home final.

They dominated sides at the SCG like no other Swans team before or since. It would still have been a struggle against those Hawthorn and Carlton sides in a GF though, as BBB points out.

Bit harsh on Round I would say too, although would agree with having the other two ahead of him.

Have to agree on Hall for CHF though... Not sure that Goodes has played anywhere near enough in the position or at a level worthy of taking up that spot.

As this is a fantasy side, I would put him in the ruck before I put him at CHF - imagine him in '03 ruck form, complemented in the middle by Healy, Kelly and Williams.... And yes, Kirk would get a chance to rotate through....

Agree with the above. Goodes cannot be CHF. IMO the best version of goodes is/was the midfielder goodes, thus he gets a start there. Id move Hall to CHF. I'd also give the (c) to kells and (vc) to kirk, although i'd be pleased to see duel captiancy, or even in triplicate if stuey was included.

Senior Player
    How about 2005 team- will do me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast