Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to beat St Kilda in Rd 1

How to beat St Kilda in Rd 1

Doggies gave a bit of a blueprint last night methinks:

1. Play on and take risks when in attack, moving it quickly can get you through the 'lyon cage';

2. Tackle like crazy and in particular put pressure on St Kilda when they have the ball in their half;

The Doggies did the above and kept the scoreboard ticking over all night, even when the Saints were dominant in patches and looked like they would take the lead. Watching this I think it really exposed the Saints attack. Apart from Riewoldt they didn't offer much - Milne was quiet and Koschitzke has been terrible, nearly every time the ball went to him the opposition had it back soon enough. Pressure on their midfield was good so midfield goals didn't make up for it.

So for rd 1 can we replicate this, recognising we are a different team with different strengths and game plan? I think we can by focusing on getting the ball quick to our key targets and defending like we know we can and can do better than the dogs. I think our biggest risk is having the game be an armwrestle all over the ground and not being able to move the ball quickly when in attach - then the saints' experience and hardbodies might beat ours.

But I'm confident we will do it. Can't bloody wait.

Youre right, the outcome of the game will be based on who can apply the most midfield pressure and which team can break each others strangeholds with quick ball movement. I believe sydney have the advantage in their backline with speed and endurance, but the Saints have the advantage in the midfield, with the abundance of classy mids [(Dal Santo, Montagna, Hayes(assuming he plays)]. We need Seaby and Mumford to have good games for us to break even in the middle, if we can do that, we can win.

On the Rookie List
    I think neither coach works hard on "tactics" so to speak. And all the strategy suggested above is not really a game plan, it's work eithic, endurance and courage with polish.

Both teams I think will go very hard in the manner above but will the Swans be able to rattle the Saints enough and bring some of our own class to the fore.

Apart from the 2005 Prelim, I have always hated Saints Swans games. I dont expect this to be any different. Getting ready for shoulder tension throughout.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by TheHood View Post

Apart from the 2005 Prelim, I have always hated Saints Swans games. I dont expect this to be any different. Getting ready for shoulder tension throughout.
    Totally agree...my Mum(ardent Blues supporter) thinks I am mad to barrack for the Swans with the history of heart trouble in our family. Tension through the shoulders is a given,knotted stomach,chest tightness, you name it ,it will be there with a game against the Saints. Have wasted my money for the past few seasons going to RD1. So glad I haven't got any money this year to even contemplate going to Nutbush.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by TheHood View Post
    I think neither coach works hard on "tactics" so to speak. And all the strategy suggested above is not really a game plan, it's work eithic, endurance and courage with polish.
    Im not sure what you mean by this statement. A tactic is a specific way a single player or a team responds and acts in certain situations, both Ross Lyon and Paul Roos use the tactics of staying one-on-one (keeping as close to you opponent at all times). It is a tactic to ensure the opposition always feel pressured when disposing of the football. A contrary tactic may be to stay off your opponent my a few metres and allowing a more open and running game style (or game strategy). The tactics Roos will use to beat St Kilda is the application of midfield pressure by all players staying as tight as possible and tackling hard. St Kilda may employ this tactic at times, as well as their zonal defence.

Sam Fisher is out. That may help our chances.

We match up extremely well on St K. We've lost by a point in our last two outings and if we'd be playing AFL rather than NAB rules we would have won two weeks ago. There's not a huge tactical gap to make up.

That said, the stat that struck me in last night's game was Walls's claim that 75% of Saints kick-ins don't make the centre line. I can't verify it, but their kickins were worse than woeful last night. Hard to believe this was the league's toughest defence. The Saints have issues; for round 1 the Swans are really on.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

We are all conscious of Riewoldt and Koschitzke in the Saints forward line.

But, if you look at the NAB final team selected by St Kilda, we need appropriate players to match up with Schneider and Milne.

A Blood to the bootstraps The Boot's Avatar
    20 minutes walk to my seat on O'Reilly wing.
    Come on Satchmo .. it's just a game.
    :-)
    Good men do good deeds. Evil men do evil deeds. But it takes religion for a good man to do evil deeds.

Yea and Johnny Depp is just a good looking man!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by staple View Post
    both Ross Lyon and Paul Roos use the tactics of staying one-on-one (keeping as close to you opponent at all times). It is a tactic to ensure the opposition always feel pressured when disposing of the football.
    I rate this is a long standing coaching strategy rather than a tactic and besides, Roos denies formal involvement in any case. He claims his players adapt it on the field depending on the situation at hand. This leaves me a little confused. Coaching strategy or team tactic? You choose.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

...be in front when the final siren sounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast