Thread: 2009 Captain's Survey

On the Rookie List

2009 Captain's Survey

AFL captains' survey

Released this morning.

Just 2 captains (other than Brett Kirk) believe Swans will make the top 8.

Zero votes for Sydney in other categories other than 1 for Daniel Bradshaw to win Coleman Medal (probably a vote from Kirky) and 1 for Goodes to win Brownlow (probably from Kirky).

Other than confirmation that Sydney remain 'under the radar' this year, what's everyone think? Given the shocking start by the Hawks to this year's campaign (injury wise) does anyone find it strange that 12 out of 15 votes (16 minus Hawks) believe they'll be there?

Thoughts?

I've often been amazed in the past about the Melbourne clubs' ability to front up to a new season full of brash confidence when (to my eyes) they look like the outfits that scrapped around for positions 12-16 the previous season. Mostly the same players, mostly the same coaching staff, the same off-season problems. How can the fans and the pundits forget ?

Having been subjected to an off-season of great publicity from the new Swans media machine I'm starting to understand. I guess that the Melbourne clubs have been doing for years what our club has managed this year - subjected to an off-season of great publicity I feel pumped, confident, brash and ready to thrash. How can we not make the final 8 with our midfield depth, our long list of ruckmen, our shiny new-look forward line, our reliable and robust defence, our box of X-factor players ?

Of course for us the hype is all justified

On the Rookie List
    Yeah I know what you mean. It's important that any club makes its fans - and more importantly, its players confident that they'll be in the mix for the season to come.

The question needs to be asked - How much news does the Melbourne public in particular get about the Swans? It goes to explain why we're all pumped up and optimistic about the swans making an impact this year, but a lot of people out there when quizzed about our chances, still believe we're in transition mode with the loss of MO, Hall, Barry and Jolly. They still see the team that only won 3 out of their last 13 games in 2009. Personally, I think when you look at our depth, we've got a much better side than the past two years. We've done our best to replace the irreplaceable, and there's new blood on the horizon.

Personally I'm happy we've slipped under the radar. Sydney has always been a team that relies on playing at a higher intensity than the opposition to win games. Since 05, 06, teams have targeted us as a team they need to 'lift' against in order to win games, regardless of how well we're playing. It'll be nice to have the underdog status again! Although, I've heard Ross Lion say a couple of times that he is fearful of Sydney because we're a 'fierce' opponent ... that's what happens when you twice get within one point of the best team in the comp. If we can knock off the saints in round one, lets see if some opinions change!

Quote Originally Posted by andyn View Post
    I've heard Ross Lion say a couple of times that he is fearful of Sydney because we're a 'fierce' opponent ... that's what happens when you twice get within one point of the best team in the comp. If we can knock off the saints in round one, lets see if some opinions change!
    Last time I looked St Kilda hasn't won a flag for over 40 years, hardly makes them the best team in the competition.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Two captains voted for Judd to win the Brownlow, goes to show how aware they are of other clubs.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Last time I looked St Kilda hasn't won a flag for over 40 years, hardly makes them the best team in the competition.
    you're being a bit anal there aren't you?
    I hardly said 'best team ever' did I??
    1. 'Best team in the competition' is relevant to what the team is like now, not over the past 40 years.
    2. Of course it's debatable if they actually are the best team in the comp, but who is going to argue that they aren't close? a bit of poetic license please!

One captain predicted Hall would win the Brownlow, so I'm not sure how seriously they're taking this.

If you look at the numbers on finals predictions, you see there's strong agreement down to 7th (the Hawks) with 12 votes. Then Port with 5 followed by Bombers, Swans, North and West Coast on 2 votes. That's fair enough. We're definitely in that mid-order groups, and no-one's really got much idea how it's going to pan out. Except for the Bombers, all of those five teams have shown some good preseason form (though I'd say the Swans have been the standout).

Good to see no-one rates the Blues this year.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    One captain predicted Hall would win the Brownlow, so I'm not sure how seriously they're taking this.

If you look at the numbers on finals predictions, you see there's strong agreement down to 7th (the Hawks) with 12 votes. Then Port with 5 followed by Bombers, Swans, North and West Coast on 2 votes. That's fair enough. We're definitely in that mid-order groups, and no-one's really got much idea how it's going to pan out. Except for the Bombers, all of those five teams have shown some good preseason form (though I'd say the Swans have been the standout).

Good to see no-one rates the Blues this year.
    Did Lingy get the most votes for being the sexiest??
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Certain amount of piss taking I think. But it has always been a frustration that Sydney don't get rated by anyone, let alone AFL players. THEN AGAIN, perhaps they just didn't want the club they see as being a major threat being notified in advance. Reverse psychology.
    THEN AGAIN, perhaps some of the poor fellas can't read. I mean all those articles that constantly hit the newspapers about how wonderful the Swans are - not.

We are just not news south of the border, there they forget we exist.

I think the club is always going to be a surprise to the rest of the AFL world. They just don't get us.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post

We are just not news south of the border, there they forget we exist.
    Do you REALLY expect to have news about an interstate team in the Melbourne papers? You try reading the sports section of any paper where there is a team in a national league (read AFL, NRL and A-League) and you will find very little, if anything, about the other teams in the League. It's called parochialism, its what makes sporting leagues tick.

Realistically, if that's your only beef for the pre-season, then life is pretty good.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I was surprised to read that Moore is Roosy pet.I would have thought it would be Hanners.Had to laugh at some of the answers.