Thread: Where is our greatest weakness heading into 2010?

Where is our greatest weakness heading into 2010?

Up forward with too many new players to gel or our inexperienced youngsters?
    In the guts with our legends slowing down?
    In defence with too many attacking defenders or Grundy trying to hold down a key position?

Quote Originally Posted by 1%ers View Post
    Up forward with too many new players to gel or our inexperienced youngsters?
    In the guts with our legends slowing down?
    In defence with too many attacking defenders or Grundy trying to hold down a key position?
    I think it's reasonably obvious our greatest weakness this year will be up forward, hence the intense campaign to secure Daniel Bradshaw.

As we all know, Bradshaw missed the pre-season because of knee problems, and, given his age, I believe it's only a matter of time before we have to settle on a foward line without him.

The rest of the team doesn't look too bad. We have a lot of options now with attacking defenders, and there'e been quite an injection of speed into the team.

I suppose there's a question mark over Grundy's ability as a defender, but we'll soon find out if he can make the transition to key position player. Leo Barry did it (and aren't we all grateful for that), so hopefully Grundy can do it as just as effectively.

I think our greatest weakness this year could be writing some new players off, on RWO, before a game has been played.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Ruck division - losing Jolly who developed into one of the top most versatile ruckmen and will be hard to replace immediately.
    I'm not writing Seaby / Mumford or Currie off, but they will take some time get to the same level.
    sprite

Surely it's obvious we do not have an a-grade midfield?

I think our ruck division will be amongst the best as with our defence, forward line should be very good, but dominant midfield?

Don't think so
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post

I think our ruck division will be amongst the best as with our defence, forward line should be very good, but dominant midfield?

Don't think so
    I'm with you Reggi.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    I think it's reasonably obvious our greatest weakness this year will be up forward, hence the intense campaign to secure Daniel Bradshaw.
    I think you could say that it was a concern prior to signing Bradshaw, but right now I don't think it's a particular weakness. Even if we only get 15 games out of Bradshaw this season I do think that will take enough pressure off other guys so that they can grow into their roles and then the forward line even with Bradshaw removed won't be as big of a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post

Don't think so
    I agree, I think our midfield is the biggest weakness (and that's not to take a swipe at Kirk). I like a lot of the young guys that we have and think we might have a pretty solid midfield in a few years time, but if Goodes does spend the season up forward I worry that we'll have too many players watching their men more than they watch the ball.

Kennedy made mention of the switch from the Hawks to the Swans being tough because the Hawks zone off in the midfield whilst the Swans play man to man, I think our current midfield regulars are physically better suited at that sort of game but I do worry that football is moving away from that type of play and I'm not sure that we really have the leg speed in the middle of the park to cope with it. Watching the Bulldogs put away the Saints I thought a lot of their strength came from having the leg speed to be able to zone off when needed to slow the flow of play through the middle by the Saints.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I think our midfield will be ok, Unfortunately I think Kirk will struggle to run out games, look for the distance between him and his opponent late in the 3rd quarter and the last. Jude is still carving it up, ROK is looking at hitting the peak of his career, McVeigh is hopefully injury free and back to 2009 B&F form, Jack should improve needs to tighten up when playing as a tagger, McGlynn is ready made, Kennedy will take it by storm when he realises he is in the best 18, plus Hanna's class and Meredith will be solid.

Ruck div will be a work in progress.

Our defence may be too attacking and not realise when they need to lock down when the opposition gets momentum of 2-3 goals in a row and quickly pile on 5-9 unanswered goals.

I think our forwards will be hot & cold as it'll change from week to week, with so many options, plus midfielders McVeigh & McGlynn, & running defenders kicking goals .

I am excited that we'll play an exciting brand of footy and the atmosphere will fantastic at home again.

on the money or stark raving mad?

Quote Originally Posted by 1%ers View Post
    I think our midfield will be ok, Unfortunately I think Kirk will struggle to run out games, look for the distance between him and his opponent late in the 3rd quarter and the last. Jude is still carving it up, ROK is looking at hitting the peak of his career, McVeigh is hopefully injury free and back to 2009 B&F form, Jack should improve needs to tighten up when playing as a tagger, McGlynn is ready made, Kennedy will take it by storm when he realises he is in the best 18, plus Hanna's class and Meredith will be solid.

Ruck div will be a work in progress.

Our defence may be too attacking and not realise when they need to lock down when the opposition gets momentum of 2-3 goals in a row and quickly pile on 5-9 unanswered goals.

I think our forwards will be hot & cold as it'll change from week to week, with so many options, plus midfielders McVeigh & McGlynn, & running defenders kicking goals .

I am excited that we'll play an exciting brand of footy and the atmosphere will fantastic at home again.

on the money or stark raving mad?
    We'll find out soon enough.