Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alrighty its time for your 2010 team rd 1..........if all fit

Alrighty its time for your 2010 team rd 1..........if all fit

Well based on the guys being fit and ready my preferred team is as follows......... whether its rd 1 or a few weeks into the comp as a few recover still from injury..........Hannebery based on last year would have been in my 22 but Rohan has to be there. we need to take the chance Rohan and Jetta and persist with them!!

F: Bradshaw, White, TDL
    HF: Bevo, Goodes, McGlynn

Midfield
    McVeigh
    Kirk
    Bolton
    Jack
    Rok
    Seaby

HB: Mal, Bolton, Tag
    B: Mattner, RLT, Shaw

Bench:

19.Grundy
    20.Rohan
    21.Jetta
    22.Bird (but Kennedy will start the season due to Birds injury)

Not sold on Mumford from the bench as yet as Seaby seems to have good stamina - but I am not sure if RLT or Goodes can ruck for 30mins or so a game.........but I dont want to drop a back - so who knows !!!

obviously Grundy will start when the opposition starts with a taller forward line but most of the top teams have pretty small forward lines for the majority of the mins.

McGlynn is my man to drop back on a super small forward and then we simply start Kennedy or Bird on the HFF up front

Have fun
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 3rd March 2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: oops forgot TDL
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

If Mumford is fit to play, he plays.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    F: Bradshaw, White,
    HF: Bevo, Goodes, McGlynn

Midfield
    McVeigh
    Kirk
    Bolton
    Jack
    Rok
    Seaby

HB: Mal, Bolton, Tag
    B: Mattner, RLT, Shaw

Bench:

19.Grundy
    20.Rohan
    21.Jetta
    22.Bird (but Kennedy will start the season due to Birds injury)
    I thought you were allowed to have 22 in a team.
    Forward pocket could be Vespa? or your preference may be Rohan and then add Hanners to the bench?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    I think this is still a very hard exercise, even having seen two games. But the chances of going in with one ruck if 4 are fit must be as close to zero as makes no difference. I also think that a backline comprising 4 players who are essentially half-back flankers won't work. Even though he isn't cemented in our best 22 yet, for balance I think you need a Nick Smith back there. Who else is going to play on Milne? Grundy's form has him as a definite starter but Richards too might squeeze his way onto the bench. I am not sure there is going to be a spot for all 4 of our taller defenders in every game this year but on merit, each has a decent claim on a spot. To accomodate a smaller defensive player, as well as at least three taller defensive players, a couple of the HBFers will need to move up the ground or rotate off the bench. I'd move Mattner into the midfield and have the other three rotating through there (ie one starts on the bench) unless Shaw can play a more defensive role down there than he did last year.

I don't know if he is quite in the best 22, but on pre-season games form, I think O'Dwyer deserves a spot. Ahead of Jetta/Rohan if necessary. Those two might be more certain longer term senior players but MOD deserves a chance to show what he's got and from his own admission, this is a make or break year from him. In terms of absolute contribution, as opposed to tantalising glimpses of the future, he has contributed more than either Rohan or Jetta in the two pre-season games (notwithstanding the fact that Jetta essentially won the Blues game for us).

Hannebery, Vez and maybe even Meredith could well force their way into best 22 contention as the season unfolds, but to date none has had a chance to stake their claim.

I don't therefore think that identifying our best 22 if all fit is really possible yet. But my shot at a 22 for round one based on team balance, who's had a chance to show something (and for older players, what we know they can do) would be somethng like

Grundy Bolton Smith
    Malceski LRT Kennelly
    Mattner Bolton McVeigh
    Jack Goodes McGlynn
    Bevan Bradshaw White
    Seaby Kirk ROK

Shaw Richards Mumford MOD

I'd like to squeeze one or other of Jetta or Rohan in there but there doesn't seem to any room.

Lets make it the Team for Round 1. So, assuming no injuries to St Kilda, we can assume their 2 tall forwards, and the dreaded Milne....etc

Bragging rights in a couple more weeks for the closest prediction!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think this is still a very hard exercise, even having seen two games. But the chances of going in with one ruck if 4 are fit must be as close to zero as makes no difference. I also think that a backline comprising 4 players who are essentially half-back flankers won't work. Even though he isn't cemented in our best 22 yet, for balance I think you need a Nick Smith back there. Who else is going to play on Milne? Grundy's form has him as a definite starter but Richards too might squeeze his way onto the bench. I am not sure there is going to be a spot for all 4 of our taller defenders in every game this year but on merit, each has a decent claim on a spot. To accomodate a smaller defensive player, as well as at least three taller defensive players, a couple of the HBFers will need to move up the ground or rotate off the bench. I'd move Mattner into the midfield and have the other three rotating through there (ie one starts on the bench) unless Shaw can play a more defensive role down there than he did last year.

I don't know if he is quite in the best 22, but on pre-season games form, I think O'Dwyer deserves a spot. Ahead of Jetta/Rohan if necessary. Those two might be more certain longer term senior players but MOD deserves a chance to show what he's got and from his own admission, this is a make or break year from him. In terms of absolute contribution, as opposed to tantalising glimpses of the future, he has contributed more than either Rohan or Jetta in the two pre-season games (notwithstanding the fact that Jetta essentially won the Blues game for us).

Hannebery, Vez and maybe even Meredith could well force their way into best 22 contention as the season unfolds, but to date none has had a chance to stake their claim.

I don't therefore think that identifying our best 22 if all fit is really possible yet. But my shot at a 22 for round one based on team balance, who's had a chance to show something (and for older players, what we know they can do) would be somethng like

Grundy Bolton Smith
    Malceski LRT Kennelly
    Mattner Bolton McVeigh
    Jack Goodes McGlynn
    Bevan Bradshaw White
    Seaby Kirk ROK

Shaw Richards Mumford MOD

I'd like to squeeze one or other of Jetta or Rohan in there but there doesn't seem to any room.
    Found it! Not a bad list, liz, but I'd try to find a spot for Kennedy, probably at the expense of McGlynn.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Grundy Bolton Smith
    Shaw LRT Kennelly
    Mattner Kirk O'Keefe
    Jack Goodes McGlynn
    Bevan Bradshaw White
    Seaby Bolton McVeigh

Malceski Kennedy O'Dwyer Mumford
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Grundy Bolton Smith
    Shaw LRT Kennelly
    Mattner Kirk O'Keefe
    Jack Goodes McGlynn
    Bevan Bradshaw White
    Seaby Bolton McVeigh

Malceski Kennedy O'Dwyer Mumford
    Is that who you would like to play in rnd 1 or who you think will be chosen?

FWIW I think that Richards will be in the team whether RWOer's like it on not.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Is that who you would like to play in rnd 1 or who you think will be chosen?

FWIW I think that Richards will be in the team whether RWOer's like it on not.
    Who I'd like. With the exception of Bradshaw, I left out the guys who haven't played. Yes, I agree - Richards is a certainty.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Regular in the Side
    Shaw has not yet played this year, not sure if Bradshaw can be ready in time
    Therefore:
    Bevan, Paul /White, Jesse/Jetta /
    Goodes, Adam/ McGlynn, Ben /Jack, Kieren
    McVeigh, Jarrad/ O'Keefe, Ryan /Mattner, Martin
    Kirk, Brett / Seaby, Mark /Bolton, Jude
    Malceski, Nick /Roberts-Thomson/Tadhg Kennelly
    Bolton, Craig /Grundy, Heath /Smith, Nick

Bench from
    Kennedy, Josh /Richards, Ted /Shaw, Rhyce /
    Bradshaw,Daniel/ Rohan/ Ed Barlow
    Last edited by Aaron; 3rd March 2010 at 11:53 AM.

hhhhmmm

I think that Tag, Mattner and Shaw between them can handle the small forwards, plus with Bevo in the team he can drop back when needed along with McGlynn etc

I dont think Mattner is fit enough for wing in the midfield...he is fairly agile for his build and height ...........he is a contender too........ but Mal who is ahead of him in the 3km runs etc still struggles in that spot when he has some time their last two games.......earlyy days though. They are both specials at solid 30 to 40 metre kicks in attack and thats why I like them deeper at HBF. It opens up our HF Flankers to run into space when we break.

I just think in the early parts of a game we want it in tight as it compresses the game and we have some control............I will stand corrected if we can play the game like the Cats did last year in very fast movement hand to hand etc but I dont think we have the wide men ready just yet for this game plan.........maybe half way thru this year or next ??

In defence Mal and Mattner can do it as they are very adaptable to who they mark given their height and fairly.........they just need to lift again another notch

At the end of the day we all like to see certain types of footy played and we pick players based on what they can do individiually as well as within the team structure

In my mind I simplify that we play fairly tight in the first 15mins of most quarters then we have sweeping wider players opening in the later mins of the qtr in most games.............this year we may be able to keep it even tighter as we have some very solid set shooters..........

I just cant friggen wait to kickoff rd 1
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Shaw has not yet played this year, not sure if Bradshaw can be ready in time
    Therefore:
    Bevan, Paul /White, Jesse/Jetta /
    Goodes, Adam/ McGlynn, Ben /Jack, Kieren
    McVeigh, Jarrad/ O'Keefe, Ryan /Mattner, Martin
    Kirk, Brett / Seaby, Mark /Bolton, Jude
    Malceski, Nick /Roberts-Thomson/Tadhg Kennelly
    Bolton, Craig /Grundy, Heath /Smith, Nick

Bench from
    Kennedy, Josh /Richards, Ted /Shaw, Rhyce /
    Bradshaw,Daniel/ Rohan/ Ed Barlow
    I like how you went to the effort of including full names for everyone but Jetta and Rohan.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast