Thread: Pre-season report

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Pre-season report

Very favorable report for us - someone's done his homework. Except that Mattner has been included twice!
    Interesting on the other clubs too.
    AFL Pre-season reviews
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side
    Herald Sun presented a list on 19th March 2010 of the teams based on their pre season form. Sydney came a very respectable 4th. In my opinon 2010 was the best pre-season form for the Swans that I can remember in my short 14 years of following them.

Bugger. Someone down south has noticed us..........get ready with your face cloths kiddies, we are going to have some eggy faces to wipe in the next few weeks....
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Even Craig waste-of-time Hutchison gave us a glowing report on Footy Classified - basically said he was was wrong with his previous assessment of the Swans and their predicted long-term slide.

The fact that the Swans players all seem confident also makes it hard to keep a lid on the excitement.

Nevertheless, I look at this year as one of excitement at the prospect of quality performance (now or in the future) - not expectation that it will occur each and every week. Some of our form late last year was quite exciting (even when we lost), because the team regained something that they had lost earlier in the year.

My only worry is related to the fact that it is actually winning itself that breeds sustained confidence - I would hate to see our team lose the ability to know-how-to-win in tight matches, if a few losses ran together in the home and away season.

Also, the fact that we have selection dramas is a good thing, but that does not mean that we have a side full of gun footballers. It could also mean that we just have a lot of fringe players who are equally good / poor - only time will tell.

(I think I just put the lid back on).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Even Craig waste-of-time
    My only worry is related to the fact that it is actually winning itself that breeds sustained confidence - I would hate to see our team lose the ability to know-how-to-win in tight matches, if a few losses ran together in the home and away season.

(I think I just put the lid back on).
    Do we actually really have the ability to know how to win in tight matches. Granted there have been some memorably ones over recent seasons, but we have also lost an awful lot of games by very close margins as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Do we actually really have the ability to know how to win in tight matches. Granted there have been some memorably ones over recent seasons, but we have also lost an awful lot of games by very close margins as well.
    Good point. I didn't think that we had it against St. Kilda in the NAB Cup - after playing quite well for the majority, they looked lost in the last couple of minutes - everyone kept trying to break the lines rather than propelling the ball forward at all costs (although that may not have worked either, it just seemed like the sensible thing to do when the game became so tight). The same goes for the two tight ones against the Saints and Geelong last year.