Thread: Tonight's season opener - TV coverage

On the Rookie List

Tonight's season opener - TV coverage

Can anyone confirm for me that people in NSW with Foxtel will be able to watch the game live on the Main Event channel?

I can't believe that TEN, given that they have a dedicated sports channel, are delaying the coverage of the season opener until 11pm. If you don't want to show the sport's fans any credit, don't bid for the AFL rights next time around.

ONE is a joke.
    -

On the Rookie List
    Just found out for myself. Live on channel 518 at 7pm. Thank god for that channel!
    I know this comes up every year, but I think given that the AFL broadcast rights are coming up for negotiation, I hope they enforce new guidelines about showing games live ... or do we still work on the principle that not showing games live is good for the game because more people are likely to attend the game?? I doubt this is the reason why TEN and ONEHD are showing the game tonight with a 30 minute delay into Melbourne. People there must be livid ...and all so they can run the 7pm Project! Multi-channels should have been the end of all this crap

Quote Originally Posted by andyn View Post
    Just found out for myself. Live on channel 518 at 7pm. Thank god for that channel!
    I know this comes up every year, but I think given that the AFL broadcast rights are coming up for negotiation, I hope they enforce new guidelines about showing games live ... or do we still work on the principle that not showing games live is good for the game because more people are likely to attend the game?? I doubt this is the reason why TEN and ONEHD are showing the game tonight with a 30 minute delay into Melbourne. People there must be livid ...and all so they can run the 7pm Project! Multi-channels should have been the end of all this crap
    Whislt I agree with your sentiments, the problem is that Government legislation hasn't kept up with technology. So, strangely, the multi channels are subject to the anti-siphoning laws that were brought in to keep sport on the main FTA TV networks. Hopefully once that legislation is updated this problem will be alleviated.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

On the Rookie List
    that does not stop them from showing it on one ... thi sreally sucks...wwe shoud get this game and the Friday night games on 7(2)..thi sjust sucks

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Whislt I agree with your sentiments, the problem is that Government legislation hasn't kept up with technology. So, strangely, the multi channels are subject to the anti-siphoning laws that were brought in to keep sport on the main FTA TV networks. Hopefully once that legislation is updated this problem will be alleviated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanner View Post
    that does not stop them from showing it on one ... thi sreally sucks...wwe shoud get this game and the Friday night games on 7(2)..thi sjust sucks
    Yes it does:
    Programs on the list must be screened on Public Channels; as Digital TV is not the only way of recieving communication until the end of this year they are not seen as Public and as such are subjected to Anti-Siphoning Laws.

As regards to not using GO! or 7Two to show feature shows (Footy Classified, etc) that is a Station Issue. Channel 9 asserts that sports shows do not fit in with the channel's raison d'?tre, I suspect it is ony about ratings and niether thinks prime time AFL shows would work even on (what is currently considered) secondary channels.
    10100111001 ;-)