Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Teams v St Kilda

For all the dash we now appear to have from the back line, ie; Mal, Tige, Shaw, I see a potentual weakness in tackling and hardness. Particually against a side like St Kilda which is full of hardbodied players. I also think Smith is unlucky not to be playing. He would of been a good matchup on Schnieds or Milne.
    Also O'Dwyer did everything right in the preseason games, I'm surprised he didn't even make the emergencies.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I wonder whether Schneider or Buchanan would be in this 18, 22 or even the 25?

Ditto a fit Dempster.
    Yes, probably not, No

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    It was always going to be such a tough selection. Assuming Bradshaw is OK, this was the going to be the very best team the Football department could put on the field. (No disrepect to Craig Bird, but I do not think he would have made the top 22 if fully fit, maybe the top 25, but not the top 22).
    Bird is in our Top 22 for mine, he replaces one of Moore or Kennedy

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    and, I forgot the delisted Luke Ablett - not now in the 25 surely
    Barely in our best 30 now

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I suspect Smith missed because he didn't have a great game against Milne in the Knob Cup and doesn't deserve a spot in front of other. I'm sad to see ROK.
    As for tackling hardness on 2009 rankings Kirk (1st) and Jude (3rd) and ROK (12) ably assisted by a combination of nice hard bodies in Matter Melcho Jack and McVeigh I think we will be ok.
    It's very exciting.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    I I'm sad to see ROK.

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post
    How is Bradshaw's fitness? Will he interchange with White at FF?
    One assumes so. He hasn't played at all in the preseason so I'd imagine reduced game time for him unless he feels all good out there.

*edit* In that Jetta article Roos says he hopes Bradshaw will play 80 minutes.
    10100111001 ;-)

I suspect Smith missed because he didn't have a great game against Milne in the Knob Cup and doesn't deserve a spot in front of other. I'm sad to see ROK.
    As for tackling hardness on 2009 rankings Kirk (1st) and Jude (3rd) and ROK (12) ably assisted by a combination of nice hard bodies in Matter Melcho Jack and McVeigh I think we will be ok.
    It's very exciting.
    "I'm sad to see ROK" ??? ke
    In terms of tackling and hardness at the contest, I'm refering to the halfbacks listed as starting....mal, tige, shaw. Three great running players with excellent skills....but they're not good tacklers. Hopefully the others you mentioned will pick up the slack.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    It's very exciting.
    Did you mean 'not to see MOD'?
    I agree with you about Smithy, who is a favourite of mine. I suspect it goes to show how hard it will be to hold a place in this team. Good for us.
    And I think you're right about the tackling power - you could add LRT and Reg, wouldn't want to be monstered by them either.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

It's very exciting.
    Kennedy and McGlynn are tackling machines. I don't think we'll be left wanting in the hardness category.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Why a tall on the bench in Ted? We have three talls down back, three tall forwards and two rucks.
    Would have preferred another runner.
    We gotta have a spare KPP on the bench! Ted can play forward or back. And forward will be important with Bradshaw so underdone.

There's a fair bit of run in the starting line-up, which perhaps signals the intended gameplan.

I think it's once of the best benches we've ever seen. We've got a spare KPP, spare HF/HB utility, spare mid and spare ruck. Apart from the highly-rated Mumford, all are experienced and proven campaigners.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

On the Rookie List

a Form team

I sympathise with the selectors.Many of us tried to pick a team and realised their problem so it then becomes a case of picking the guys in red hot form and the best match ups. Moore and Mc Glynn both deserve their spots on form although I have misgivings about their finishing polish. That could cost us if they give St.Kilda turnovers through poor delivery or they spray gettable shots only to see Milne kick an impossible goal. However they could prove themselves also and Moore could and probably should try to kick a bag.It's his time. I would have had Smith in the team,Teddy out reluctantly and Bevan instead of Moore but I also am happy to give Moore another shot because he has done nothing wrong in pre-season and deserves a spot. We all knew it was going to be like this and some guys have got to be very unlucky not to be playing!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast